1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by fiendz666, May 18, 2009.

1. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    I posted previouslsy asking about the installation of a Zinwell WB68. All of those questions got answered.

I have an additional question about a self install. I am going to install the zinwell and run 2 new cables to the basement where I want the new TV. If I call to order an HD DVR, would then send it to me so I can install it myself? Also, I wouldn't be a to get a Zinwell out of them as part of the deal, right?

Any responses are appreaciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    What is your current setup? If you order a DVR from D*, they will most likely send out a technician. If your system needs a multiswitch, the technician will provide one. D* will not send you a DVR and multiswitch for self installation.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV's business rules only allow them to send out an HD-DVR for a self-install when you are replacing an existing SD-DVR *and* you have another HD receiver active on your account (which, by extension, means you already have a Ka/Ku dish). DirecTV will never send dish/switch hardware directly to a customer. If you need that, they will send a tech. Otherwise, if you insist on a self-install, you must lease your receiver and buy the dish/switch parts you need from a retailer. There's not much middle ground.

4. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    I have an HR22 and 2 SD receivers.

Just upgraded to HD recently. Had the HD dish installed. Looks like the wiring coming down from the dish go into a "grounding block"? Then from there 2 of the cables go to my living room for the DVR. Then a cable for each of my SD receivers upstairs.

The only reason I want to do it myself is because I can easily do the wiring myself and purchase a multiswitch to hook all the cables into. It's a fairly simple job.

From what you guys are telling me, it's not likely for them to just send me the HD DVR without a tech. :rolleyes:

5. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    No, they will not send a SWITCH without a tech. You can call, but more easily order from the website an HDDVR for self-install. The WB68 is pretty cheap though, like 15 bucks on ebay. So if you'd rather DIY, go ahead.

6. jamesgangnc

jamesgangnc AllStar

Mar 9, 2009
    I dunno. Wonder if you could convince them to send it to you if you tell them you are replacing one of your sd receivers with it? Try telling them the tech already ran the second wire or swm cause you told him you were going to go hd dvr there. Direct knows what receivers you have but I don't think they keep track of the switches and lnbs.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because the OP is maxed out on the dish outputs, replacing an SD receiver with any kind of DVR is going to trigger an installation.

8. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    I have seen the WB68 for pretty cheap.

I'll call DirecTV and I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm most likely not going to be happy but we'll see :lol:

Thank you everyone for your quick responses!

9. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Why don't you just let Directv installers do it and be done with it???

It's not that big of an expense is it?

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If you upgraded to HD recently, Directv probably won't give any break on the cost of another receiver, so you might as well go to to Best Buy or Costco and order the WB68 from eBay or SolidSignal.

11. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    My problem with having a tech come out is that I was rescheduled about 9 times when having my dish upgraded for HD.

I really can't afford to take the amount of days off they made me take the last time a tech had to come out.

That is my dilemma :(

12. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    I feel for you. I always schedule DirecTV for Saturdays. I can't afford to take time off during the week.

13. wildbill129

wildbill129 Godfather

Dec 22, 2006
    Order the switch from Solid Signal, and go buy the HD DVR from Costco or Best Buy...then you can do it all yourself.

14. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    +1!

That's what I did when I got a second HR20. Already had the Zinwell switch in place.

15. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    I'd really like to see what they can do before I go and purchase the box. Plus if they do tell me they have to send a tech. I'll have to prepare myself for some grief :nono2:

16. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    Why are so many people in this forum so against a tech coming out? If I showed up to your house to do a job and you already did the work for me and all I had to do was quickly check it and plug in the receiver I would be thrilled and wouldn't give you any crap about anything. Pretty much you did the work, and I'd still get paid for it. I've only ever had that happen like twice, guess people are lazier in Southern NJ

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Some have had too many no shows, some have had bad experiences, some think they are smarter than the techs, lots of reasons. But I agree with you, more people need to let the techs come out. Many service calls occur because someone tried a self install and screwed something up, then tried to get D* to foot the bill for a free repair....its not right. Obviously we as customers foot the bill for these.

18. Surveyor40

Surveyor40 DBSTalk Club Member

Jan 5, 2006
    I agree with D*'s policy, however being rescheduled 9 times is beyond ridiculous. Apparently the installation company whom D* hired for your area is either overbooked or undermanned (or both). Request D* provide the installation companies phone number, contact them directly once you are scheduled in the system. Talk directly with the dispatcher or scheduler and schedule directly with them. This may avoid some of your problems. D* unfortunately treats all customers as if they need installation services. Even those whom self installed over a decade ago. D* would rather spend a few dollars and have a tech come out then spend a few more dollars solving a poor install on the phone. Only to have the tech come out anyway to fix what was installed improperly to begin with. In your case, if running the coax for the additional two lines is what you want to do - do it. If you make the installers job quick and simple, they will absolutely love ya for it. And some installers may just hand ya the multiswitch for a soda, and watch you work (they unfortunately are unable to leave until the job is done). Most are good hardworking people, whom understand some customers just don't want any others touching their systems wiring. Unfortunately, D* will not give you any installation gear or equipment unless said equipment is already installed. D*'s considers self installers to help themselves - including buying D* gear from a retail connection.

19. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Phone numbers for local offices are no longer available.

20. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    I am in no way doubting the competency of any tech. The guys who finally did my install were fantastic. Did a clean, quick job.

My issue is the time that was wasted and the aggravation of trying to get DirecTV and the installation company on the same page.

I understand that if DirecTV needs to send a tech, that's how it will be. I am concerned about if they will keep their appointment time.