Senate unanimously approves House's satellite TV bill

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by sswheeler, Nov 24, 2014.

1. sswheeler

sswheeler Legend

Aug 27, 2008
  2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    What does the cable industries do or are these customers so rural they have cable either?

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Basically a renewal of the current law (distants are not new) ... but here are a couple of improvements for Local into Local:

"For one, the new law prevents coordinated retransmission consent negotiations among noncommonly owned TV stations in a market, expanding on the FCC's decision earlier this year to disallow coordinated retrans among the Top Four stations in those markets. It also prevents broadcasters from preventing the importation of significantly viewed stations into their markets."

http://www.multichannel.com/news/policy/stelar-passes-senate/385767#sthash.0Cd6QMQK.dpuf

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^^ Is that available in English anywhere?

1 person likes this.
  5. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    Does that mean those grandfathered with DNS will still keep it?

6. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
  7. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I sure hope so! :D

8. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Local channels retransmitted into their own local markets ... basically, the majority of local TV stations as they are carried by cable and satellite carriers.

10. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    For any sense in this should be allowed to view any markets no matter where one resides. Or as many markets as one wants.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

11. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The last sentence in post 3 seems to remove one hurdle preventing satellite providers from providing neighboring locals to more areas. If it sticks it would mean the only limitations would be retrans consent with the neighboring station and spot beams.

If only they'll also add a provision to go beyond the list so more stations like independents and new sign ons could be carried. One of the things that disqualify you from qualifying for DNS is being able to receive a signal with an outdoor antenna, so it should go both ways, if that same antenna can pull in a station in a neighboring market, they should qualify to be carried in the area too. It would take care of a lot of stations that are not in the center of their market, who many times cover the local news for a neighboring county better than the in market stations, but are stuck being cable and OTA only in those areas because of the rule.

12. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    some one explain this last paragraph in real terms and not legalize...

13. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    the way I read this last paragraph, AND I HOPE I AM WRONG.. but if you have your distant networks, one of the major 4 channels. isn't this rebroadcast into a rebroadcast area? some one explain this to me.. and trust me, I will be glad to be wrong on this..

14. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    The bill should preserve the status quo as far as Distant Nets are concerned. They were grandfathered in the original act. This doesn't remove that protection

15. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    Thank you. That's how I read it, nice to get another persons interpretation. Darn legalese!

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The piece you are having trouble with has nothing to do with distants. It has a lot to do with local stations.

The new law will prohibit stations from negotiating together for carriage unless the stations are co-owned. Right now stations could collude to keep their signal off of a carrier. The law puts into statute a policy the FCC has put forth to prevent coordination.

The second part prohibits stations from making the denial of carriage of other stations part of the deal for the carriage of an in market station. Right now your local CBS, for example, could refuse to grant carriage unless DISH or DirecTV agreed not to carry a competing CBS from a neighboring market --- or any neighboring market channel they felt threatened their viewership. The new law prevents such restrictions being written into carriage contracts. Which means DISH and DirecTV will be able to carry more out of market channels (not required to carry, just allowed - and not any channel, any where - just listed "significantly viewed" channels).

17. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I thought NO Dish sub has DNS or can be grandfathered because Dish's sloppy record keeping. Some people are claiming to have DNS and are grand fathered. If that is true how do I get my distants back? I had NY/LA and my LiL's before the take down. I had been served by AAD until they ceased operation.....

18. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    Dish doesn't have DNS per say but they do import nearby signals in markets that aren't served by an affiliate in their area. Small markets that don't have a CW for example might get one from a nearby DMA on the same spotbeam

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Correct ... DISH offers distant channels on their own terms - within the limitations of the law.

Instead of offering a national set of channels from one or two markets where the subscriber gets the network(s) they qualify for, DISH offers a distant channel from a market of DISH's choosing. In some places DISH offers a significantly viewed channel, not a distant. DISH does not mess around with waivers or grandfathering. They keep it simple by only using distants to fill out markets where no other stations are available for that network.

The distant channels are included at no extra charge in packages that include local channels.

(BTW: The laws that allow subscribers to receive distants do not require satellite providers to provide distants.)