1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Series Link" Makes No Sense

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ejbvt, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Series links is just the term for shows you have set to record on the DVR. Personally, I hate the term because it makes absolutely no sense.

I couldn't agree more. Channels with similar content should be grouped. Directv gets a B- for channel order in my book - it makes more sense than cable! But some big changes would make it SO much easier.

2. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Series links is just the term for shows you have set to record on the DVR. Personally, I hate the term because it makes absolutely no sense.

The term "Series Links" makes sense to 99% of the people who post here so that's why most everyone uses it. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using DBSTalk mobile app

1 person likes this.
  3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Not only does it make sense, it is what DirecTV calls it. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Sep 1, 2013 #4 of 50
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I am aware that people use the term for that. I do, too, since that's what it's called. But "Series links" makes no sense for what it is... how is a recording a link?

5. Sep 1, 2013 #5 of 50
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I am aware that people use the term for that. I do, too, since that's what it's called. But "Series links" makes no sense for what it is... how is a recording a link?

Its a recording linked to all shows of that series.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

1 person likes this.
  6. Sep 1, 2013 #6 of 50
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    ... thanks for proving my point.

7. Sep 1, 2013 #7 of 50
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    ... thanks for proving my point.
    ok, so what would you call it?

8. Sep 1, 2013 #8 of 50
    RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    By using a Series Link you are taking one show and linking multiple episodes together into one folder. Kinda self explanatory.

9. Sep 1, 2013 #9 of 50
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I would call it simply Recordings or My Recorded Shows or something like that. Series Links makes it sound like it's a website. Who says "Did you watch that series last night?" No, you say show.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Isn't it left over from Tivo terminology? It is understandable as a "record entire series" timer. I would not lose any sleep over the words ... now that everyone and their sister knows what they are can we get back to FXX? :)

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I know numerous people who say "series" not to mention all of the UK say "series". Let's not forget terms used by broadcasters such as "Series Premier" either.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I would call it simply Recordings or My Recorded Shows or something like that. Series Links makes it sound like it's a website. Who says "Did you watch that series last night?" No, you say show.

But it's not Recordings or My Recorded Shows. That sounds more like what the PlayList is. TiVo called them Series Passes, but DirecTV couldn't use that phrase so another name was needed.

And I believe that it is Series List and not Series Links. Also, on the DVRs the list is referred to as the Series Manager. Both Series List and Series Manager make sense.

- Merg

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Amen! Well said. Now, no more fretting over names or channel placement for the next two weeks!

14. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I thought TiVo called them "Season Passes"?

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I thought TiVo called them "Season Passes"?

Typo on my part. Thanks. :)

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

16. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    None of those are logical terms. Is a game a series? A movie? A special? A concert? A political event? No. The best name for the list would be Recorded Programs, which is better than what I said earlier.

The Genie calls it "Recordings" on the menu, not series links. I rarely go here until recently, but I can't say why I go to this screen now cuz they will delete my post again. Where does it say series links, anyway? I previously only accessed my playlist through the list button.

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    You are right, none of those are a "series". Guess what? You don't create a "series link" for them either.

18. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    So why are you calling it that?

19. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm not. What we're calling a "Series Link" is what you setup to record all episodes of a television series. A single recording for a movie, concert, special event, etc is a single recording not a "Series Link".

You're also not going to see a recording of that type in the "Series Manager" either. The "Series Manager" ONLY lists "Series Links".

20. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Where are you seeing all of this? I see

Menu > Recordings > Playlist (which is the same as pressing "list")

Under playlist, I see (red) delete, (-) options, (enter) keep

Under (-) options, there is
    > mark programs to delete
    > Sort programs by category
    > change order of playlist
    > open/close all

Under the manager, there are a bunch of options, none of which are series links

The Series Manager, it talks about priority.
    Then it says "X# Series (scheduled recordings)"

Where does the term series links come from?!?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.