1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series Link Problem - Formula 1

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RoberMR, Oct 18, 2009.

1. RoberMR

RoberMR AllStar

Oct 23, 2007
    I am generally happy with my HR20-100 overall. Have had the unit since they were released. I recently had a problem which I will describe here:

I am a big Formula 1 fan and record every race. Most races are on Sunday morning around 4:30 am for European races. There are some races in Japan, China, Singapore, Australia and they take place late Saturday night because of the dateline difference.

I have set up a single series link and have been recording these races successfully for several years now without manual intervention.

Starting a couple of weks ago, I noticed that the races that fall on Saturday night aren't included in the ToDo List. I had to set them up manually. Even worse, the race in Brazil which is running this Sunday a few hours later than the usual time, didn't get included in the ToDo List this weekend. I am wondering if D* made a change inadvertantly to the software to screw up the algorithms. My DirecTivo unit in the other room had no trouble adjusting to the different time for the recording.

Anyone else has a similar issue?

RB

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I haven't seen/had this problem, other than the SpeedTV/Fox coverage requiring two SLs.
    Yesterday's live qualifying was a bit of a problem because of the rain delays, but other than this, everything has been recording here with "my normal" 30 min padding.

3. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Hmm. Don't know what to tell you. My single series link for SPEED that I set up last year recorded practice, qualifying and the race in Japan and Brazil no problem.

Are you sure you don't have a conflict that is keeping these races from recording?

4. AntonyB

AntonyB Legend

May 2, 2008
    I've not seen this problem either - I have Practice, Quali, and the Race all set up as a series (can't remember if they are actually one or three separate series) and have had no failures of this sort at all.

5. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    No problems here either. Check the history to see if there is a clue about what may be wrong.

6. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    no problems for me either. practice/qual/race have all been recording fine. i would delete the SP, and create a new one.

that has fixed some "quirky" scheduling issues my HR20 has had in the past.

7. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    I don't do Formula 1 as a series -- I set them up to record individually. For Brazil, I checked on Thursday to make sure they were in the "to do" list. Of course, the rain for "practice" screwed that one up, but it didn't matter. Anyway, "Qualifying" and the "Race" recorded well, so, at least my way worked.

Actually, on my HR21, all my recordings, regardless of how they are set up, have worked as they should.

Stan

8. plehrack

plehrack AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    My F1 SL has been fine for years. As far as Q2 in Brazil is concerned... my 1.5 hour pad caught it all. :)

PL

9. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    I pad mine by 1 hr and missed some of the Qualifying.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    My 30 min padding as worked for everything "but" qualifying this week. I caught what was happening and recorded out of the live buffer.

11. ulbonado

ulbonado Legend

Nov 28, 2007
    My HR21-700 picked up practice, qual, and the race for Brazil just fine from my 1 ordinary SL. Are you sure you don't just have two higher priority things on saturday night that blocked it?

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You mean there would be someone with F1 NOT the #1 priority? :lol:

13. Steveo369

Steveo369 Mentor

Dec 11, 2007
    I'm in the same boat as most of the other posters. No recent problems whatsoever in recording, other than my 30 minute pad didn't pick up the last of this weeks quallies.

I use a single advanced autorecord search (don't know the exact string as I'm at work right now) for my recordings, and it's been working fine for the past couple years, picking up only Practice, Quals and Races, without other "Formula 1" shows. Catches the weeks that it's been shown on FOX as well.

14. RoberMR

RoberMR AllStar

Oct 23, 2007
    Thank you to everyone that shared their thoughts. It was very strange. Nothing in History about it. F1 on Speed is at the top of the Priority List. There was nothing else scheduled to record at the same time.

The way I have it set up is one SL for Practice, one for Quali and one for the race with First run only, and this has worked for all these years. As I said, fortunately, after I realized it didn't record the Practice on Friday (I caught it on the rerun), I checked the ToDo list and there was nothing scheduled for F1 on Saturday and Sunday, so I manually set them to record. Interestingly, it didn't complain that "this program is scheduled to record".

Oh well, so what do you think of the Brawn Boys getting the double championships?

RB

15. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    We first started watching F-1 last year, along with ALMS, Rolex and Indycar. (We have been NASCAR junkies for about ten years.) It's a shame that D* and Versus couldn't work out their differences, or at least delay dropping the channel until after the season ended.
    I am paranoid, so I always schedule each race each week. I pad all races for an hour except NASCAR which is padded for 3 hours to account for rain delays.

16. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Take a look at FIA World Rally on HD Theater on Sunday nights!

17. zamzickles

zamzickles Mentor

Sep 21, 2007
    I love F1. Two series links, to catch the occasional Fox showing. Plus 30mins for overruns. But if you think F1 is a problem, I also like Drag racing, and it gets delayed for everything from high school baseball to college football and all sorts of other non-professional sports.I have a 1hour pad that is not enough. I took off the first run only feature so that a later in the week replay will record, just in case. And it has been used on more than 1 occasion.

18. RoberMR

RoberMR AllStar

Oct 23, 2007
    Wow, I never really knew there were so many F1 (and racing in general) fans in this forum.

I think I found a clue to my recording problem. I was looking at my prioritizer list today and noticed that the SL for F1 on Speed was gone - nowhere to be found. It used to be #1. I also noticed that I had 24 SLs in total. So, I think there are only 2 possibilities:

1) I inadvertantly deleted it - I know I'm usually perfect, but this could be the first mistake I've made this year - yea right!

2) Whe the number of SLs got too long, the one at the top got deleted by the system. I'm a thinking this is the less likely of the two scenarios, but on the other hand I used to develop and support software for over 30 years and have seen stranger things happen.

Thank you everyone for chiming in.

RB

19. Igor

Igor Godfather

Jan 3, 2005
    My series link work pretty well for all the Formula #1 events that are carried by the Speed channel. From time to time the actual race is on Fox, normally delayed :(. The series link does not record the races from Fox, I normally have to set them by hand.

This thread just made think... perhaps I should change it to a keyword autorecord and get all races automatically!

20. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    +1