1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series link question.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bdcottle, Jan 15, 2009.

1. bdcottle

bdcottle Legend

Mar 28, 2008
    I have a theory that the 50 series link limit was put there because if you went over 50 it would cause memory problems. But since they have been fixing things and adding new features, they’ve used up even more memory. So now if you are over 40 series links you run into memory problems like.

KOD recordings

Black/gray screen recordings

771 on tuner 2 that requires a restart to fix

Missed recordings

Random reboots

So what I would like to know is if you have one of these problems and how many series links you have. And if you have 45 or more series links and don’t have any problems.

Please
    Brian

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I'm currently at 43 series and am having zero problems. Adding new features really cant be directly correlated to memory usage. Remeber that this is just a custom app pc in essence.

3. rapjrhb

rapjrhb Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    I have had some of these problems (KOD, black/grey screen recordings) and have never had more than 25 or 30 series links.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The above symptoms point to a problem with your "system". Something from the dish thru the cabling and multi-switch and perhaps a grounding problem. I have that many links on a couple HRs and have no problems.

Rich

5. bdcottle

bdcottle Legend

Mar 28, 2008
    I have had the following problems before NR 290.
    KOD recordings, black/gray screen recordings, 771 on tuner 2 that requires a restart to fix and missed recordings.
    A few days before NR 290 I trimmed down my series links to fewer than 40. Then the 290 update and I haven’t had any problems since. If my problems were the cabling or the dish, then my problems would not have gone away. I’ve done nothing to my cabling or dish, no multiswitch. If it were the NR that fixed it then why are other people still having these problems? I’m just trying to collect some data to prove or disprove my theory. So far it’s not looking good, but too little data so far to be sure.

6. rapjrhb

rapjrhb Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    FYI - the KOD and Grey/black issues that I have had occurred before NR 290.

7. murry27409

murry27409 Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I'm @ 43 and haven't had any problems as well.

8. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I'm at 49 and no problems.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But what capacity is your hard drive at?

Rich

10. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    On two HR20's I have series links running in the mid forties all the time and the hard drives are never below 20% free. I have not experienced any of the previously mentioned troubles. THe machines are both on the current national release. I agree with the notion that these problems may be limited to the individual systems.

11. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Usually, and currently about 50%, has been up to 80 or 90% of a 750g drive.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My experiences are like yours. But the SLs must be part of the data base and logically (yeah, I know logic and the HRs seem to have little to do with each other) you would think that with the SLs in the 40s and the hard drive almost full, you would see some slowdown. Logically. :lol:

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    By "individual systems" I gather you mean the feeds that supply the HRs, dish, cabling, switches, etc.?

That would be my guess because I see no problem loading up the SLs either and I know my "system" is rock solid. And all my HRs are loaded with programming.

Rich

14. bdcottle

bdcottle Legend

Mar 28, 2008
    well, looks like my theory was wrong. thanks for the input.

15. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I fail to see that logic. The process for recording to the HDD doesn't change as the HDD gets more full, as it does for regular computers, for one thing. I also don't see how one SL has any interaction with the other SLs, so I don't see how that affects latency. As far as the processing and handling of one SL is concerned, the rest are just uninvoked DB files resting comfortably on the HDD. The system should only be concerned with the one it is invoking at the time, and should not even care about the rest.

What seems to slow down for Tivos is only the process that happens when you add a SP, which is it goes through and serially vets it against each and every occurence of a potential scheduled recording (for the next two weeks of available listings, at least) looking for conflicts to report back to you. This obviously becomes an exponentially more complex task as the number of SPs gets incrementally larger, and also can't be delegated as a background task (which is why the wait) but it doesn't slow down any other aspect of performance. Newer DVR designs (and newer permutations of Tivo software) seem to have mostly eliminated that problem.

Not to go all Mel Gibson Conspiracy Theory on you, but I think the limit of 50 SLs is arbitrary, and not due to a technical limitation. There is a point of diminishing returns where large numbers of SLs result in lots of missed recordings due to conflict. Maybe DTV just decided that if you have 50 SLs, that maybe you should think about getting a second DVR.

Of course that's an arrogant attitude on their part, if so. Some probably think the disadvantages of putting more than 50 SLs on one box is something that the user should have the option to weigh against the incovenience and cost of having to get a second DVR, rather than to have that decision made for us by a one-size-fits-all mindset from the overlords.

BTW, I have 50 SLs and only 20% reserve capacity, and have seen no problems.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've never considered the SLs a problem either. Seems as if a lot of knowledgeable (?) people do. Or at least a lot of people argue that point. Never quite understood what that had to do with the many other problems we have encountered with the HRs.

Your argument is logical and makes complete sense to me. I think that when D* decided to unleash these HRs upon an unsuspecting public, that was an even greater sign of their arrogance.

Rich