1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious about Sirius question

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Laxguy, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    From time to time a member announce a free trial, or someone posts a commercial about Sirius. I have asked about bit rates, and so far no one has come close to answering that. Can anyone, please? I am a subscriber, if that makes any difference.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    People getting the free trial get the same satellite bitrate as the regular subscribers ... so that part of your post is completely irrelevant.

I have not seen SiriusXM publish their via satellite rates. Perhaps you, as a subscriber, can obtain those rates by contacting SiriusXM directly?

TXD16 likes this.
  3. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    No, Mr. Long, according to a fellow who seems to be an employee of Sirius.

I did not imply that trial subs would receive a different bit rate from regular subscribers; that would be ludicrous: exceptionally difficult to implement, and to what end?

4. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are some claims on the Internet that the stream subscription bit rates are higher than the free preview bit rates. No proof, just claims. If you want a clear answer ask clear questions. (I assume that is what you meant by no, since you did not specify.)

As posted, if you want an answer from SiriusXM ask SiriusXM. Otherwise accept the information given without turning to insults and demands.

TXD16 likes this.
  5. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    There is some information about bit rates here: XM Satellite Radio - Wikipedia

6. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Thank you, Richard. Long article which I will read tonight.

7. gjrhine

gjrhine Legend

May 15, 2002
    Yes! Do the research.

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I did not say nor even intimate that bit rates might differ between subscriber rates and trial rates. In fact I pointed out how impractical that would be.

As to research, I have done it, and it is complex.

My point is folks who come here promoting Sirius should be able to answer very basic questions, and do so with equanimity.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Please do not demand an answer of ANYONE on our forum, nor insult people who decide not to answer your questions.
    If people choose to answer that is great. But there is no one on this site who is required to answer.

Also, please do not assume that anyone posting information about a service is an employee. I post the occasional press release or public announcement about companies I do not work for. This site is full of people who post information about companies they do not work for. Such assumptions, especially when combined with a demand for an answer (or an overly firm request) is not a good thing.

That being said ... this thread remains open in case anyone wants to post an answer on the topic of bitrates. Off topic posts, and potentially off topic posters, will be removed. Please stay on topic.

gjrhine and TXD16 like this.