1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service address has SD dish..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by stevecon, Jul 17, 2017.

1. stevecon

stevecon AllStar

Sep 5, 2006
    Boston
    I have a friend who is a DTV HD customer that - a couple years ago - moved to a location that had only an existing SD dish. DTV wanted to install HD dish for him but since at that time it was temporary move and his landlord wasn't real keen on having someone climbing on his roof - he refused the dish upgrade. Not long after, he bought a lakehouse - about an hour or so away. He installed a new HD dish and connected his HD DVR to it and it worked without any problems.

He's recently decided to make his "temporary" place permanent. DTV told him he can't have HD service with the SD dish. His landlord still doesn't want anyone to "mess around on the roof" even more so now than a couple years ago. So now he's stuck with SD signals feeding his HD equipment at BOTH locations. He asked me what I thought he should do.

Since he has no land line and uses only a cell, I suggested that he call DTV from his lakehouse (with the HD dish and HD DVRs) and tell them he's actually at his service address (with the SD dish) and tell them that *he* installed an HD dish (that matches his lakehouse install) and ask them to turn on HD service again. Since all the equipment at this location is HD, I figured he'd be able to do what they ask him to do to validate that he's seeing and HD signal.

What do you think?

2. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    No can do, the receiver will know where it is and if it is not where it is suppose to be it will shut down. Read the TOS. A friend of mine has a rock (fake) on his front yard, lift the "rock" and there is a dish under it. Also look into DirecTV Now.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    How about getting an HD dish installed on a pole in his rental yard? Two locations is a violation of TOS, but if he is only watching DIRECTV at one place, then they should be ok.

DIRECTV Now? If they go streaming, go with PS Vue.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    No, the receiver does not know where it is and will not shut down. The TOS is just a piece of paper, there's no tech behind it.
    A couple of ideas:
    Get DirecTV to upgrade the service address to HD but use a pole mount instead of a roof mount.
    Move the service address to the lake house, tell DirecTv it's already HD equipment, they will probably send a tech ($100) to do the upgrade even though it's not necessary. Keep the billing address where it is.

5. stevecon

stevecon AllStar

Sep 5, 2006
    Boston
    I agree, I *know* the DVR doesn't know anything about it's location and will not shut down. I don't know why the first person to reply is spreading this FUD. Yes, only a couple - husband and wife; they go up together so no one is watching a TV at the other location.

After running the pole mount suggestion by my friend - he said he was told that basically "there's a dish up there and that's the one you can use". Suffice to say an additional or upgraded dish is not going to be possible for the foreseeable future. Moving the service address to the Lakehouse would normally be a viable solution but even though it is only a 90 minute drive - it is a different DMA and he's interested more in keeping up with what is happening at home - not what is going on around him on the weekend at the lake.

I seem to think that he can as I explained in my post - but I didn't think there would be a truck roll. If that is the case, the gig would be up. Are you certain they'd want to send a tech to the service address to basically verify that the dish was an HD type?

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The pole mount is pretty non-intrusive. To get a good install it should have a concrete base, but maybe if your friend told the owner he'd remove that when he leaves?

Or, he could use the FCC's OTARD (although this might really upset the landlord and mess up some other landlord/rentee deals). It says:

7. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    He already has hd service at the house with the sd dish. He can't see hd with the sd dish, but if he had an hd dish he wouldn't have to contact Directv for any changes.

8. stevecon

stevecon AllStar

Sep 5, 2006
    Boston
    The service address is a 3 family home - as are common in the Boston area. The landlord is an old timer and family friend of theirs who lives in the home and is pretty adamant about what goes in his yard or on his house; so they aren't going to push him on the dish.

I know he sees the HD content at the lakehouse - so I'm unsure why he called DTV in the first place. I'm going to see if he can let the whole thing die down and continue as he has been.

9. sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    You guys are correct concerning the dvr's " knowing " where they are. I've used a false addy for years for the purpose of getting other local tv stations without trouble. Dtv isn't stupid either. They know so many accounts are like this. The only thing they care about are the bills being paid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Have you ever had a service call?

11. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If you have a service call it will be to your service address...

12. bobcnn

bobcnn Mentor

Nov 10, 2007
    If you have good internet speed at both locations, you might want to check out putting a Slingbox at the location with the HD, and using Slingbox at the other location. I have good internet, not super fast, and I use it at my mountain home to watch my DirecTV. I would suggest a Roku box, with the Slingbox app, the picture quality is very good. A slight delay using the remote, but you get used to it.

13. sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    Nope. I wouldn't need to anyways since I already know most of everything on installations etc. I always kept up on Dtv's tech. I'm a tech freak lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

242424 likes this.
  14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How far up the roof is the dish? To be honest they need to replace it all so they wouldn’t even get in the roof. It’d be installed at the edge and run a new coax to wherever it could enter the system. Can’t use any part of the old dish mount...

15. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    [​IMG]