Service fees

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Indiana627, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I've been a D* customer since 2003. I moved in December 2018 and got $60 off per month for 12 months as part of my mover's deal. That discount just expired and now I'm paying $140.88 per month. I have CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC with 2 receivers: an HR54 and an HR24. Below is my current breakdown that adds up to the $140.88. I'm currently paying $30/mo in service fees. Is this still the correct amount of fees I should be subject to?

I know my CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC is a grandfathered package. Do current packages have some of these fees included now? (I tried looking on the D*/AT&T website but that thing is atrocious.)

CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC
    $99.99
    TV Access Fee$7 off 1st TV
    $0.00
    TV Access Fee
    $7.00
    Advanced Receiver Service - DVR
    $10.00
    Advanced Receiver Service - HD
    $10.00
    Whole-Home DVR Service
    $3.00
    Mobile DVR Service
    $0.00
    Regional Sports Charge
    $8.49
    NY County Sales Tax
    $1.20
    NY State Sales Tax
    $1.20

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yes.

3. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Your fees are slightly cheaper then newbies. You are on "legacy billing". Can't do anything about state taxes other then move. Do you watch sports? If not, you can get rid of the Regional Sports Charge by changing to Preferred Xtra. You have to call in for that package, its "undocumented". It gets rid of a few sports channels, otherwise its 99% identical to choice extra classic, but you don't pay the sports fee on it.

Also, you can call into the Retention department and "negotiate your bill down" quite a bit. Generally, you can get $40+ off for a year if you do it right, but you'd be calling in every year to renew the discounts :).

4. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    So even though some fees are now included in the current packages, my fees are still cheaper (and thus my bill lower) with my current grandfathered package than if I switched to a current package?

5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Its more dependent on when your account was created for being on legacy billing vs new billing. Switching to a current package depends on which package you switch to. If you switch to Preferred Xtra, you'd still be on legacy billing (unless that policy has changed) and negotiate with Retention you can probably bring your bill down into the $80 - $90 range for a year. IF you play it right ;). Read up on how to play the retention department game.

6. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    The newer "All Included" packages include the applicable ARS plus the first TV included in the price. These packages assume the customer will have at least 1 DVR and the price can't be lowered by getting just an HD receiver. Customers on the Itemized (Legacy) pricing structure are the only ones who can reduce their bill based on receiver types. (All examples below use 2020 pricing)
    • The customers that pay the most are the ones with the $25 ARS with the first receiver free. They pay about $2.99 more than the current All Included 1 TV pricing structure.
      • Customers who only need/want 1 TV but have the All Included 4TV pricing structure pay more. Example a customer with Xtra (All Included) 4TV pricing structure will pay $145/mo (no discounts). If they want to downsize and go from 4TVs to 1TV they still will pay $145/mo for 1 TV.
    • The customers who pay the least are the ones with the $15 ARS with the first receiver costing $7.
      • Customers who need/want 4TVs and are on the All Included 4TV pricing structure pay the cheapest. Example a customer with Xtra (All Included) 1TV pricing structure pays $131/mo but for 3 additional TVs that is an additional $21/mo bringing their total $152/mo.
    Here are some comparison charts with the 4 common home setups (1TV / 2TVs / 3TVs/ 4TVs)

5a0526c062ca09822f97cc049147875a.png

7. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks for all this info everyone. I will likely try getting a new monthly discount from D* (as I've been able to do many times in my 17 years with them). Plus we are seriously considering cutting the cord and I'm looking into both Hulu with live TV and Youtube TV. We already have Netflix and Prime.