set manual timer through Dish Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by 4HiMarks, Jun 10, 2019.

1. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    So yesterday's NASCAR Race was rained out and rescheduled for today at 5pm. But the Guide still shows old info. I think I know how to set a manual timer on the Hopper 3 (although it is way more complicated than it should be) but have not found a way to do it through Dish Anywhere. I'm at work and won't get home before the start of the race. I tried a chat with Tech support but they kept saying to search or click on it in the guide, which hasn't been updated.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I would try setting a timer for whatever is in the guide at 5pm and make sure it extends out a couple of hours. Or set the timer for the 6pm show and "start early" by one hour. I'm not sure what will happen if DISH does get the guide update. I didn't delete yesterday's recording so my Hopper may refuse to record today's even if the EPG is updated.

3. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Hmm. 6pm, start early and extend as long as possible might be enough to capture the whole race. I deleted the recording from yesterday, but did say to record the next airing, but that is scheduled for 8pm on FS2. Don't know what will happen to that if the EPG is updated.

But why does Dish make it impossible to set a manual timer? It's not like that capability never existed. That used to be the only way to do it once upon a time. Some moron decided to deliberately remove it.

And another thing, why are motorsports not included in Gamefinder?

/soapbox.

4. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have not tried to do a manual timer through the app.

My suggestion is troublesome today since the 6pm show is Race Hub and I already have a timer set. I'll try adjusting my timer (and remember to set it back later). If not the whole race, at least it will record 5pm to 8:30pm and I'll be home by then to set another recording to catch the ending (if the EPG doesn't update).

For the last Monday race I was home and set a manual timer on the DVR. That failed because I set it after midnight Monday and set it for Tuesday morning "tomorrow" instead of later today "tomorrow".

5. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I figure if it's not over 8:30, it will probably be too dark to race by then, anyway. But I will be home, too.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    The race is at Michigan - sunset isn't until at least 2130 (9:30 PM for you civilians).

7. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    But it's too dark to race well before the sun actually sets.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Oh - and setting a manual timer is still there. DVR, Timers, click Option key, 3 (Create a timer)

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    "I wear my sunglasses at night..."

On a cloudless , full moon night, my headlights are so other people can see me, not for me...

10. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Where is there an "Options key" in Dish Anywhere?

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We are referring to the DISH Anywhere app. :)

BTW: The EPG updated and my DVR is recording the race.

12. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Dish updated the EPG and my H3 recorded the race with no special changes needed.

13. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Yeah, I wound up with 2 copies.
    I was contacted by a Dish rep about my "experience" with the CSR who couldn't help me, and she confirmed that it is not currently possible to set a manual timer in Dish Anywhere. But there are a lot of updates coming at that might be one.