1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up 3 lnb dish at a tailgate

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Bulldawg_Fan, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulldawg_Fan

Bulldawg_Fan New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    For years I have been using a single lnb to set up at tailgates. I recently had a 5 lnb dish intalled on my house, and I was thinking of using the 3 lnb dish at the tailgates now. I have a multi-switch with 4 outputs. It has 18v, roof antena, and 13v. How many wires need to come from the 3 lnb's, and if I only run 1 wire, and use the 4 outputs on the multi-switch, where do I hook up the 1 wire (18v or 13v). We usually run 3, sometimes 4 receivers at the ballgames.

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You wont even need the multi-switch at the ballgames. The 3lnb dish has a built-in ms with 4 outputs. Otherwise, and this I am not sure of, I dont think you can use that particular ms with the 3lnb dish and still get all the channels, unless all you want are the channels off of 101. The single lnb only looked at 101, so you only needed to use the 2 wires off the dish to get all the even and odd transponders, with the 3 or 5 lnb dishes, all 4 outputs need to go to a compatible ms to get 101, 110, and 119 signals.

3. Bulldawg_Fan

Bulldawg_Fan New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    So, do I connect each receiver to the dish?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The dish has four outputs [all the same] so if you're only connecting four receivers, you're all set.
    If you wanted a fifth receiver, then you would need to use a multi-switch and connect the four outputs from the dish to the inputs of the switch and then your receivers to the outputs.

5. Bulldawg_Fan

Bulldawg_Fan New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I wasn't sure if each lnb represented represented a different satellite. I read where people were getting signals on some satellites, but not others. I guess you only really need to hook one wire up to get all programming if you are running only one receiver.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    That shouldn't be a guess anymore.

7. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Maybe what you are missing is:
    the reason an external multi switch needs all 4 cables is so it can "lock" one to each spot on the dish.. then it has all the possible connections to be able to hand out as needed to each reciever...
    so normal operation is the multiswitch built into the dish handles this for each of 4 tuners..
    when a external multiswitch is used the one in the dish is "locked" so the external multiswitch has a fixed input from which to hand out any possible sat needed by the tuners..
    hope this helps...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.