1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup question - three tvs in one room

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by alemis, Jan 13, 2012.

1. alemis

alemis New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I'm looking to switch back to Directv from u-verse but have a setup question. In my current setup in my basement, I'm using Ethernet as my connection for two tvs (over powerline) and coaxial for one of my tvs. If I get three directv HD receivers, will I need three coaxial connections or can I use Ethernet connections to my home network?

Thanks in advance. Also, it's nice to have a forum that won't judge me for having three tvs in a room....

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    3 TVs, with three different channels, will take 3 receivers.
    The three receivers "can be" fed off one coax, if you have the SWiM system installed.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Each DirecTV receiver will need a coax connection in order to tune the channels.
    Will one of your new DirecTV receivers be a DVR? If so, then have the whole house (MRV) installed. This will use the coax to connect each receiver/DVR for MRV. Though, with three receivers in the same room, MRV isn't really needed.

I'll let others, more in the know, complete my thoughts. :D

4. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Most typical installs involve a SWM (SingleWireMultiplex) LNB dish which provides for up to 8 tuners from a single coax line.

So no problem, the single run could be split at the outlet there and fed into the boxes.

Now if all three were DVR's, that would occupy 6 of the 8 tuners unless you chose otherwise, leaving only 2 tuners for elsewhere in the house.

Lot of people have older 3 or 5LNB that run 4 coaxes to a SWM8 or 16 and can be split up even more.

I love having 3 TV's in every location. If the kids are watching TV I can keep a game on and keep an eye on it, or on football Saturdays I can have 3 games on , or watch NASCAR. LOVE IT!

5. alemis

alemis New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I have five tvs and was thinking of getting the Home Media Center and four HD receivers. I shouldn't need more than the five shows at once. So if I understand this correctly, Directv can have the three set top boxes feed from the one coaxial connection in my theater room by using a splitter? Also, will I need the Ethernet connection MRV?

Thanks all for your responses....

6. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Theoretically you could have as many as 8 tuners coming from any one coax, 8 total from a SWM8 or SWM LNB, 16 from a SWM16, more from parallel SWM8's, 16's or even 32.

If you do the HMC and 4 HD receivers though, that is 9 total tuners. If DTV did it right, the installer would use a SWM16.

You would not need a separate ethernet connection, they would install DECA, ethernet over the coax. I personally have a DIY mixed DECA and ethernet MRV network.

7. alemis

alemis New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Got it installed last weekend and everything went as you guys described. I absolutely love my new setup and the picture absolutely blows away u-verse. An unexpected surprise was how much I love the iPad app for changing channels on the three tvs. I have the rf remote setup as well and it works fine, but the app is much more fun.

8. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    3 tv's in one room only gets you respect around here.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And with your iPad, you can also stream a bunch of channels. I usually use it to keep an eye on the NHL Network or CNN.