1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Severe Weather Mix for Florence

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by KyL416, Sep 12, 2018.

1. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The Severe Weather Mix for Florence is now live on channel 361-1 replacing the Sports Mix until at least Sunday morning. Right now it's just AccuWeather and The Weather Channel. The Severe Weather Channel and other news channels will be added once they start their 24/7 coverage tommorow.

The Severe Weather Channel will go up tommorow on 361-2 once the local stations start their coverage. It's scheduled to go live at 3pm ET replacing CINEHD 141, but it will probably be going back and forth between AccuWeather and Weather Channel until the local stations go nonstop with their coverage.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    TJNash and dtv757 like this.
  2. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    nice i was going to ask about this !!

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It is also being shown on 205.

4. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Thanks for the info. Severe weather mix is NBD, but the local station thing they do is very informative. Assume they start with Myrtle Beach/Florence and Wilmington and follow the storm R-D-CH, Charlotte, Columbia, and maybe a little WS-G-HP.

5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The Severe Weather Channel is now live

6. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    On 361-2 I dont understand why they are not showing any of the Greenville New Bern Washington NC market local coverage. This market is the closests to the storm. They are showing Station in Raliegh NC over 100 miles inland.
    Greensboro over 150 miles inland.
    Also showing Myrtle Beach. Its already flooding in New Bern and Morehead getting 60 mph winds already.

7. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Why don't they open-up The Weather Channel for everyone? Mom has lower package and does not TWC. 361-2 showing Severe Weather Coverage.

8. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They did cut to a Greensboro station earlier, but they were showing Tegna's syndicated Daily Blast Live instead of local coverage. The first story was a live report about the hurricane, but they quickly moved on to other stuff after that report.

Right now it's looping between WTVD Raleigh, WXII Winston-Salem, WFMY Greensboro, WLTX Columbia, AccuWeather and The Weather Channel. They also cut to some other stations if there's a live press conference

WTVD is the one network O&O in the area, so while they're based in the Raleigh market, they have live reporters up and down the coast from SC to NC since they're also providing coverage for ABC affiliates nationwide via ABC News One.

EDIT: WCIV Charleston is now in the cycle

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  9. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    It's up watching at work [​IMG]

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don’t understand why people don’t evacuate. I feel bad for the news reporters.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    In 2005 we packed up and went inland from where I am on the coast. We were 13 hours on the road. Had to get out of the car and walk in a small town to find gas for our cars ( the police would not let us drive in there ). At the end of our journey we were parked on the side of the road and had hurricane force winds most of the night.
    The next day according to the news the brunt of the storm was gone. We drove back home in less than 2 hours.
    When you leave, do you go straight inland, go north or south, east or west ? They predict these things really well but they are still a prediction.
    In 2008 hurricane Ike made a direct hit on our house. We stood in the front yard for a few minutes as we were in the center of the eye.
    We had no damage and no flooding. My house has never flooded. Been here since 1962. Last year we had 55" of rain from Harvey and I thought it was going to happen but it stopped just before it came into the house.

Next time there is a category 5 hurricane coming I will leave early early or not at all.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I do have an issue with putting first responders at risk because you failed to heed the notice of a mandatory evacuation.

I lived in Charleston during Hugo. If you failed to evacuate the police would ask for your next of kin and then suggested that everyone write their SSN on their arms with a sharpie to make it easier to ID your body.

Everyone see the video by The Weather Channel on different levels of the storm surge? I hope they show that in the future but earlier in the storm time-line. Maybe that will convince more people to evacuate.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And there lies the balance. Early or not at all assumes that one can leave early (job obligations, etc.) but would be "safe" if they chose "not at all". Low lying areas, weak building or near the coast would not be safe. Leaving late enough that one is stranded on the road is not safe. Where is the balance?

Remaining in a place where one needs help during the storm is bad. Going to an organized shelter makes it easier on the first responders (although the "shelter of last resort" didn't work out well for Katrina).

I do not live in a hurricane area but work obligations would probably keep me in town. They would probably want me on site after the storm passed to fix any problems or help other departments. I do live in an area that gets the occasional blizzard. Anything that I cannot do from home would mean a trip to work - regardless of road conditions. Fortunately I can do a lot from home.

I feel for the people who cannot afford to walk away from their jobs long enough before a storm to get out of town. I feel for the people who can't afford to leave town regardless of employment. There have been times in my life when "not at all" would have been my only option (or a shelter, if available). Hopefully most people are doing the best that they can.

Khaetra likes this.
  14. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Well as of 1pm EST severe weather is gone and sports mix is back

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk