1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual Harassment...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Dec 5, 2017 at 1:04 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All this news about sexual harassment in the entertainment industry and not one mention of it here. Let me be the first. I think this is long overdue, but I don't like to see careers altered by public opinion or folks looking to make money thru lawsuits. If what's been done is egregious enough to warrant a trial and some are found guilty I can see them losing their jobs but I see no trials, I just see outraged folks making statements that seem to be accepted without any proof. What's going on affects our viewing habits. Is House of Cards gonna be the same without Kevin Spacey? Of course not. I don't doubt anyone that has come forward with accusations, I'd just like to see "Innocent until proven guilty" come up in these cases. If it's bad enough warrant destroying a career shouldn't it be tried in a court of law?

Rich

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm agree... so far all the public acquisitions only verbal from one side ... and sometimes I've feeling it's just words...

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Welcome to the world of Political Correctness. Get accused of sexual harassment you're guilty and penalized without the being tried in a court of law.

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agree 100%

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I saw a video claiming that a guy was harassing Sandra Bulloch. He told her that what had changed since he interviewed her last was that he had seen her naked. When you watched it, it was clear that they were discussing a scene in a comedic movie and her and the guy were both naked and did not know each other was in the house. Hello, it was a scene in a movie that almost everyone in the world could see. That 1 item makes no sense to me.

I read an article that was an interview with a male writer.
    He said he wanted to know what the heck he was supposed to do. For 20 years when they had their meetings he shook the guy's hands and hugged the ladies. Do I stop hugging and shake their hand ? Do I avoid contact with them all together ? If I did would it be considered harassment because I shied away from them in fear ? How did all these ladies wind up married to their boss ? If the boss had never asked them out in what we are creating ( a sterile environment ) how would they know if he was interested ? Why aren't all these things acceptable ? If the boss asked you out and you wanted no part of it, just tell him that. Now if he keeps asking knowing you do not want to, then that to me would be harassment.

What about the statue of limitations in time to report a crime ( true harassment, not just that someone said something you did not like ). Some of this stuff happened 40 years ago. Holey Moley. I am certain I said many things that many years ago that I would not say today.

We are on a slippery slope and it is dividing the country like I have never seen and I am now 74 years old.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All I see are allegations, or I think that's what they are. I know little about law but a lot about harassment in the workplace.

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And "due process" just goes down the drain. Don't get me wrong, I believe the men and women who have come forth, just don't know why I don't see any proof or witnesses. I kinda think Weinstein will be tried in a court in the City one of these days. I know the NYC police are looking hard at the allegations.

Rich

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Union Carbide had strict rules about harassment. I was taught, and taught others, how harassment was dealt with in our workplace. We were not allowed to comment on what women wore or how they looked. We were not allowed physical contact, not even a pat on the shoulder. Asking someone out was tantamount to harassment, even tho women did just that and got away with it. Saying, "Thank you, sweetie" was cause for an harassment complaint. Whistling at cute folk was not allowed.

What it amounted to was if you felt harassed, you were harassed and the punishment was loss of employment (rarely, if ever, happened but it was a constant threat). And these rules were in place over 30 years ago, this is nothing new.

Rich

9. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Back in the 70's, a well endowed young woman in my department complained to our manager that one of our coworkers was ogling her. Not touching, just looking at her lustfully in her mind.
    The guy she accused was happily married with two young daughters. I have no doubt that he may have looked at her appreciatively, as had probably every other male in our organization. I don't know what became of her accusation, but the poor guy was deeply hurt that she thought he was lusting after her.

10. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    What is happening now is long over. I have seen enough harassment in the work place to have no problem believing most of these women. I only wish I had done more to help when I had a chance. Will there be an over correction most likely. As Maria Antonieta says tell me about it.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Harassment
    Harassment covers a wide range of behaviours of an offensive nature.
    It is commonly understood as behaviour intended to disturb or upset, and it is characteristically repetitive.
    In the legal sense, it is intentional behaviour which is found threatening or disturbing.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sorry, but some topic are just to racy to be discussed here.

Also, political posts deleted (for those who forgot the forum rules).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.