SF Bay Area fringe reception

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by cybertoad1, Nov 27, 2019.

1. cybertoad1

cybertoad1 New Member

Nov 27, 2019
    Hello guys, I live about 48 miles directly east of San Francisco (as the crow flies), on the west edge of the Central Valley, and I'm trying to pick up the SF stations via antenna. I installed one of those cheapy amplified units with the built-in rotation feature from Amazon on my second-story rooftop, and I'm able to pick up KTVU 2, KRON 4, KPIX 5, and KBCW 44 with varying degrees of reliability depending on the conditions. From the transmitter's location on Sutro Tower to my location near Tracy, I have both the East Bay hills west of Dublin and the Diablo Range blocking the signal, so it is definitely a 2edge signal.

Sometimes the signals will be perfectly watchable, while other times one or all channels will pixelate or drop out. I noticed that often there is a signal oscillation that rapidly alternates between strong and zero -- almost as if I'm receiving LTE interference on UHF.

I'm thinking of updating my cheap-o antenna to a high quality unit such as a Televes Datboss LR Mix, which has a built-in amplifier with LTE filter and an amplified gain of 36.5 dBi and 46 dBi on VHF and UHF respectively, (8.5 and 18 dBi in non-amplified mode.)

Being that I am receiving signals on these channels, albeit weak, does it sound plausible that upgrading to a much larger antenna would turn out to be a good purchase?

The VHF capability of the Televes unit would be quite beneficial next year once KRON moves to VHF channel 7, and KGO moves to VHF channel 12.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would go for new antennae... without any warranties ;)
    Just for test - will it works as I want or not ?
    Other very important point is (for your case especially) - install good antenna's must or a supporting construction with higher height what you could afford !