Shadow Report: Low-End Tech

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Stuart Sweet, Jan 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I love low-end tech. I love the idea that for 1/10th the price you can get 9/10s of the performance.

Coby had a large booth filled with goodies, including a 3" media player (think iTouch), 8GB for a likely price of $100. They also showed a prototype netbook that I'd buy if it were under $300, and that's a possible price.

RCA were represented by multiple manufacturers... as it seems that they've licensed the name all over the world. They have a 720p solid-state camcorder that is expected to hit this spring, price to be determined. It looks great!

Crosley were there again this year with a largely holdover mix of retro phones and record players (ask your parents what a record player is), but did not generate a lot of interest.

Curtis/Sylvania showed a wide variety of DVD players for the very low end, some fairly attractive TVs in sizes up to 40" and also, a prototype Blu-ray player. A company like that could really do a player for under $100, and that would in my opinion put a stop to DVD player sales for good.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Curtis/Sylvania (/Magnavox/Orion/Emerson/etc.) are all brand names of Funai, who already makes the cheapest Blu-Ray players. I fully expect a $99 Blu-Ray player, regular price, to be available by next Christmas, from Funai.

3. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Lots of cool low-price stuff, but most of those booths were looking for buyers (as in retailers or distributors). When I'd drop in, they'd begin politely, see that I wasn't their target, and turn to see who else was there.

On the other hand, when I visit my local Big Lots, I get to see 2/3rds of the Coby product line, and the people there are happy to let me browse. :)