1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing a Wireless Internet Connection using a wireless bridge.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Guindalf, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    Since I posted that I was sharing my wireless connection between my XBox 360 and my HR20, I've had several PMs asking me how I did it. So I thought I'd create a thread to explain it to anyone else who needs the information.

(Maybe the mods will make it a sticky!)

OK, first things first. This will NOT work with the Microsoft wireless adapter that is plugged into the USB port. It requires a wireless bridge or "gaming adapter" that plugs into the ethernet port on the 360. Some people have had success using a second wireless router, but I haven't tried this and thus can't vouch for its effectiveness.

You need to buy a cheap 4 or 5-port switch such as the one offered by Newegg for $9.99. Also, you will need two Cat5 cables - the length depends on the distance between the devices, but 1.5 or 3 feet should work if everything's in the same rack. theses are sometimes refered to as "patch leads or cables". It doesn't matter if they are longer. You can coil the excess behind your equipment and, under normal circumstances, it shouldn't affect performance.

Plug the output from the bridge into the switch and then connect each patch lead to the 360 and the HR20.

Believe it or not, that's all there is to it! Configuration depends on your setup, but it's exactly the same as for a direct connection.

If I've missed anything or you have anything to add, please feel free to post your comments below. This is by no means intended to be an exhaustive answer to all problems!

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I use a WAP (wireless access point) to get our two laptops into my hard-wired network. I just plug the HR20 into the network switch I have mounted behind the home theater setup, and away I go.

3. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    Thanks for the info. Hadn't thought of using a switch. Two of my HR20's are in the same rack, and it's right next to a jack that runs to the other room where my XBOX 360 (just got xbox live this week) is located. The rack is actually in the same (unfinished) room where my router is located, so I could even run ethernet cable over to the rack. So even if I don't get the wireless adapter, the switch idea definitely helps me. My 8-port router is almost maxed out, so I could avoid getting another one of those, and would probably only need to run the one cable.

Is there any difference in speed between using a switch and adding another router (both wired)?

4. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused, but I'm interested because I also use a WAP for our laptops and have a hard-wired network throughout the rest of the house. I just don't understand what your first sentence has to do with your second sentence.

5. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The WAP lets me use the wireless laptop as a server (WMP-11). The network switch is hard wired into my network, so I end up with a hybrid wireless/wired network, when only starting with a hard wired router. Since I located the network switch behind the HT setup, I have multiple ports available for HT devices (like sat receivers)

I shouldn't have mixed the two issues, without explaining the topology.

6. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I have a D-Link Gaming Adaptor connecitng to my D-Link wireless router, then pluged into a netgear wireless/wired router (with wireless turned off). From the Netgear I go to the HR20 and the HD-DVD player in my entertainment center.

7. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    For more network help and information, click on the network help link in my signature.

8. belunos

belunos AllStar

Oct 5, 2007
    No speed difference, but putting more than one consumer router in the same network can cause you some major headaches.

9. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I use the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP wireless-ethernet converter. It has 4 ethernet ports, so a switch won't be necessary to add up to 3 additional devices. Newegg has these for $60.

Apparently Buffalo is in a patent dispute over their wireless devices (and others may also face this--if it doesn't go away it may become a big deal). They have been enjoined from producing more, although they are allowed to sell existing inventory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.