1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shortcuts with new UI

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by diamar, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1 of 27
    diamar

diamar New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I'm a recent convert from TiVo to DirecTV (love the channel selection!) and am still getting used to the HR24 interface. I got the updated one yesterday in Seattle, and visually it's great.

But it seems to be a step backward if one wants to get the To Do list. It used to be a couple clicks away, and now it's pretty buried. Is there a shortcut to go quickly to the To Do list? Or must I navigate the whole menu structure? (I was spoiled with Tivo's shortcut: Menu-2)

Related to that, is there an easy way to delete a recording after you've finished watching it? The only way I find is to fast-forward to the end and use the automatic dialog box. Or use Info, More Info, Delete.

Thanks in advance...!
    --dave

2. Jan 5, 2012 #2 of 27
    kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    For starters, WELCOME.

First point, "easy" access to the ToDo list is a bone of contention for many people. There really isn't an easy shortcut.

Second point - a "dash dash" (--) has been the undocumented shortcut to delete a recording but there are indications that DTV may be eliminating this short cut in some changes to the UI. Give it a try but it might be going away.

Have fun.

3. Jan 5, 2012 #3 of 27
    diamar

diamar New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply. I had seen some 4-year-old discussions about List-Yellow and the To Do lists, but am sad to hear there's nothing current. It really did get about 4 clicks worse in the new HDUI.

I'll try dash-dash again. I think I had tried that before, and the first dash just brings up the SWM status message. The second one just dismissed the message. But I'll give it another shot.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #4 of 27
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you hit stop before the show ends, it takes to to the list with that show highlighted. From there, you can either use kymikes' suggestion of dash dash, or hit the red button and confirm.

5. Jan 5, 2012 #5 of 27
    m4p

m4p Legend

Apr 12, 2007
    I programmed my Harmony remote to one button for the To Do List so if you happen to have a Harmony remote, you could try that.

I used to have Closed Captioning programmed to my Harmony as well, but with the new UI where Messages is sometimes highlighted, and sometimes not, it wasn't possible to map a macro to the Harmony.

6. Jan 5, 2012 #6 of 27
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Here is one way to delete a recording without having to fastforward to the end that I use all the time. When you are done watching and the resording is still running just hit the left arrow. That wil take you to the previous menu that you were on. At that point you can select delete. This assumes of course that you started the playback from that menu.

7. Jan 6, 2012 #7 of 27
    yall2

yall2 Mentor

Dec 5, 2010
    To delete a recording, click List, high light the program and click the red key.

8. Jan 6, 2012 #8 of 27
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Dash-dash just needed to be done quicker, but it will be going away in future updates :)() so pressing stop, should take you back to the playlist with the recording already highlighted, and then press the red button and select delete in the verification prompt.

9. Jan 6, 2012 #9 of 27
    bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    You don't have to fast forward all the way through a recording. Start fast forward then while it is running, press the skip/slip button. This will take you to the next tick mark. Do this about 3 or 4 times and you should be at the end of the recording.

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Or just hit stop.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Going back to the original topic... one of the few things that TiVo has always done better is provide access to certain screens. On the other hand, if you want to put one in standby, that's what, 8 button presses?

12. diamar

diamar New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I've had TiVo since it very first shipped, and have had a love-hate relationship with it ever since.

That said, I'm generally happy with the DTV experience (though coincidentally TiVo pushed their new HD Guide UI to my box last night).

So far, the only shortcomings that bugged me were ToDo (no solution really) and delete (which has better workarounds than I realized).

I also discovered how to change from 30-second Slip to 30-second Skip (more like TiVo), and turned off menu animations to increase responsiveness.

The question for me will be whether to add an HR34 or the new TiVo receiver as a second receiver when they ship. I think I'm actually leaning to the HR34. But I need more time to settle with the HR24 before I'll know.

Thanks for all the answers folks!

13. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I have my Harmony this way now. When I get the update will I have to do something different?

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The faster way is to hold down the 30Skip button for a couple of seconds. Pow! Bam! You're there.... at the end.

15. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    When I'm done watching I show, I don't worry about deleting it. I just go to the guide or list and decide what I'm going to watch next and start watching. Later when I'm in the list again, I just use the red button to delete any shows I've recently watched.

16. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I delete as soon as I finish watching

17. fullcourt81

fullcourt81 Legend

Sep 8, 2005
    This what I do also. Great minds think alike. :D

18. Teletubbie

Teletubbie New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Is there a shortcut to jump to a specified minute on a show? For example say, I want to jump to the 14th minute of the show.

Also is there a way to skip by a specificed time amount say a 3 min skip, like the 30 sec skip? This will get much easier to skip the commercials.

I really miss the automatic commerical skip on my ReplayTV.

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Unfortunately there is not. DIRECTV owns those patents but isn't using them.

20. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I highly doubt that DIRECTV is going to make skipping commercials any easier than it is now. Let's remember that the majority of the costs of the programming and distrobution are covered by the advertisers, not the subscribers.