1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should DirecTV drop the HD DNS West Channels?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RAD, Jan 28, 2009.

What's your feeling about the HD DNS West feeds?

1. Keep the HD DNS West feeds as is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Discontinue the HD DNS West feeds and use the bandwidth for new national HD channels

43 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. I currently have the HD DNS East feeds

62 vote(s)
    55.9%
  4. I currently have the HD DNS West feeds

14 vote(s)
    12.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Just about everyone wants to see more new national HD channels being offered by DirecTV. If the reason for not adding some is due to bandwidth constraints IMHO DirecTV should drop the four HD DNS West feeds and use that bandwidth for more national HD channels. With the expansion of HD LIL service more and more people that had been qualified for DNS service is seeing it shut down, I would guess that there's not that many left so why not just offer the east HD DNS feeds and for folks in the west that still have HD DNS give them the east feeds.

What do you think, something that DirecTV should consider or is there still a big demand for the HD DNS West channels? I'm also making the poll multiple answer so you can say if you have either HD DNS feed now just to get an idea how many have the service.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I felt it only fair to abstain as I am actually in the Los Angeles DMA.

3. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm pretty sure that for HD DNS you can't offer them a channel that airs the showing before it would be shown locally so DirecTV couldn't give their west cost DNS customer the east cost dns. The could get rid of the east coast dns and just give everyone the west coast but I'm pretty sure their east coast customers wouldn't be very happy having to wait until after midnight for primetime tv to finish.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...

Is that a HD only thing or SD and HD? If HD only was that because of the deal that DirecTV worked out with the four network that allowed HD into O&O markets that didn't have HD LIL's? I ask since AAD over at the other DBS company appears to not have any problems offering both east and west coast versions of channels and my brother in law with D* has the SD versions of both.

5. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I think DirecTV should drop every channel I don't watch.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Does that matter to you then, don't you get the locals via HD LIL and don't need the DNS version?

7. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Or, maybe they should drop the east and keep the west.....or drop both from the Conus and if you're not served, so be it.

Doesn't matter to me though.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My locals are identical to the DNS versions.

9. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Of course, no need to waste HD LIL bandwidth when they're already broadcasting them on CONUS transponders. Just map the channels down to their proper numbers, and call it a day.

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Why does that not surprise me....:D

Then again...I suspect you represent many other people's views with that. ;)

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Looking at the transponder/network mappings at http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148867&highlight=lil it looks like the are duplicated with the LIL's on network 624 and the DNS on network 10. So get rid of the HD DNS and use the HD LIL that's there already, no waste of HD CONUS capacity.

12. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    From what I've read that was a new requirement of the HD DNS service.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=150860

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
  14. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    They still need to keep a CONUS feed for the locations that just CRS (can't receive sh....) and for the mobile setups...ie RV's . but I think dropping the MPEG-2 versions would be a good idea.

15. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I didn't vote as I'm sure it is very important to the people who need the feeds, I personally never had the need. Unless the PPV's are huge money makers for D*, which I doubt, they could easily dump a few of those channels to free up space. The PPV's are never really current, too expensive and the 24 hour limit really ***ks.

16. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Best post in the history of this site.

17. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    That's why I said only the west coast DNS, leave the east there and folks in the MST and PST timezones can use a DVR to timeshift.

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    PPV channels make a LOT of money for DirecTV and the content providers, PLUS they provide a pool of channels that can be turned off as needed when a large number of HD channels are needed temporarily. Such as on NFL Sundays. Many of the Sunday Ticket channels are really PPV channels most of the time, and are taken over for the football games on Sunday.

19. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    As with me. If they drop any feed it should be the East Coast one (just my own west coast bias).

20. tftc22

tftc22 Godfather

Mar 29, 2007
    I love how in threads like this it seems that everyone who thinks west coast feeds are a waste of bandwidth lives in the Eastern or Central time zone or has a DVR. Seriously, do you think that west coast viewers without DVRs (who get DNS stations) should only have the option of watching prime time TV that starts before a lot of people even get home from work (8pm ET = 5pm PT)?