1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I bundle my DTV with Verizon?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by paulh, Nov 16, 2009.

1. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    I recently upgraded my Verizon phone and DSL to a bundle (that saves a little because long distance was starting to get expensive) While talking to a Verizon rep, she asked about TV, I said I had DirecTv. She then said due to my current DSL and phone package, I could also add my existing DirecTv account and save an additional $15/month.

The $15 is very tempting. I said I was worried about my grandfathered (Total Choice) package. She said nothing will change, but I still have the concern that I'll loose my grandfathered WGN (although for the savings, I could upgrade to choice+ to get WGN when baseball season starts, again, and still be saving $10)

I also wonder about 2 current, ongoing credits ($5/mo for another 10 months and another 4 months of my free Starz due to a billing error a few months back), would I loose those?

Does my DirecTv account remain my account (with "just" V paying) after bundling Or does this essentially give me a new account and I would have to worry about nothing transferring?

2. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I am pretty sure this starts a new two-year commitment. I don't mind bundling services from the same company, but I have never liked the idea of bundling among different companies - too much can go wrong.

3. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    It's not like I plan to switch providers (D* since 99) so a commitment does not bother me if I am extending just to save $.

4. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    I do know when I bundled with a year or two back with Qwest, it did not (and does not) extend your committment.. unless you get some new hardware...

I don't mind the bundling. if there is a problem, Qwest will not hold it over your head if you have a problem with Directv (per their billing info, if you have a problem and do not pay the Directv portion, Qwest will nto disconnect your phone or DSL).. of course.. never had a problem and never had to harass anyone :)

5. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    This may not answer your question directly, but it may add some background info to help you make your decision.

I'd been a Verizon customer for years when I decided to switch to D*. I called D* directly and had a bad experience with two installers, so I did not subscribe.

When my neighbor subscribed through Verizon, had a good install and told me about it, I also attempted to subscribe through them, but had another bad installer come to the house.

When I called Verizon about it, they were very helpful and somehow a great installer was sent and I've been happy ever since. (Could have been co-incidence or I got lucky, or they really helped me.)

Even more pertinent to your question is that after I signed up with them I had 4 things with them - home phone, cell phone, DSL and D*. With their one bill, I got a discount on all 4 plans.

Since then, however, I've switched to AT&T for my cell phone. It was no hassle at all to switch, and I still get discounts on my remaining 3 services with them.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I have Verizon Cell phone service, can this be bundled with DirecTV, or it that only for home phone service?

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I had the same concerns about bundling with AT&T. When I finally did, it didn't effect any of the other discounts I was getting. So I was sorry I delayed it for a few months, because I missed out on the discount for nothing.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It is a bundle using their home service.

- Merg

9. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I did this about a year ago and get $6.00 credit from verizon for doing this ,no extended commitment or problems with billing. If you make any programming or hardware changes,directv handels the changes,verizon simply bills you for whatever info directy gives them, when you make any changes to your account.

10. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Interesting. I have DirecTV through Verizon and only save $6/mo. I also was not able to move an existing account. It had to be a new account. This was several years ago and may have changed. However, if you can do it, it is worth it for the savings.

11. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    thanks for the replies, sounds good!

I, too, was suprised when the (sales?) rep said I could move my existing service and get a good deal. I chatted with a Verizon agent several months ago, and they said they really could not do anything on the deal side , but I guess there are better bundle deals afer you upgrade your phone and DSL..

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Interestingly, I asked about this when I got FiOS internet and was told it was not available in my area. Perhaps that's because they have the full FiOS TV implementation here.

13. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Fios is in my area & i bundle verizon internet/phone with directv & get an additional $6 off each month.
    Did this almost 1 year ago....all my credits/services carried over with no problems.
    Monthly bill is from verizon & directv is just tagged onto that total bill.

14. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Do all of you one better, lol! I have FIOS Triple Play (Phone, Internet & FIOS TV) and have my Directv bill on the Verizon bill as well. So I get $6 discount for having D* on the bill with my FIOS Triple Play. Never had any issues!

15. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    Why do you have both FIOS TV and DirecTV(And not just one)?

Speaking on topic, I would love to bundle my services with AT&T, but my city's DSL is way to slow for me(6Mbps down, 756Kbps up).

With Time warner I can get 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up.

16. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    Get all the HD I could want, plus I have FIOS TV as backup for when bad weather is in area and D* signal goes out.