Should I buy an iphone now or wait on the "possible" release of the 4G

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Lefky, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Apr 7, 2010 #1 of 11
    Lefky

Lefky AllStar

Jun 22, 2007
    I become eligible to upgrade on AT&T April 16th. My current RAZR is slowly dying and needs to be charge frequently. I was going to upgrade to the iphone on the 16th, but now I hear rumors that the 4G will be out in June. People on this forum are probably a lot more tuned to these things then me. So does anyone have an opinion?

Thanks

2. Apr 7, 2010 #2 of 11
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I'd wait to see what they're coming out with... at least 'til tomorrow when they announce 4.0 software (and possibly new hardware?).

3. Apr 7, 2010 #3 of 11
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I would definitely wait. In the July time frame Apple will probably be releasing a new iPhone.

4. Apr 7, 2010 #4 of 11
    drded

drded Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    You may also want to consider one of the Android phones. I have the HTC Hero from Sprint and love it. There's the Eris and others. Trade papers report the Google Android OS as one of the fastest growing.

Dave

5. Apr 7, 2010 #5 of 11
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Best Buy had a deal a month ago on refurb iPhones where you could get a good deal. I talked my sister into that because it was MUCH cheaper than a new phone would be and she had no smartphone at all.

But if you are upgrading (like me) then I'd say you're better off waiting at this point to see if you either want a new iPhone from this year's revision OR might get another shot at a deal on last year's model.

6. Apr 7, 2010 #6 of 11
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=174685

7. Apr 8, 2010 #7 of 11
    ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Here's my take:

First off, I doubt a new iPhone will be announced today, but would be thrilled if it did. Most likely at an event in June, like the past few years.

Second, it depends on what you want in iPhone vs Android. My guess is that Android apps will soon enough be equivelant to iPhone. Storage is the big definer for me. I personally have a iTouch, 64GB version, and use almost the whole thing. Most non-iPhone phones have <1GB internal storage. The Pre has I think 8GB, but don't quote me on that. On VZW, which I have, all their phones are potentially able to accept micro SD cards up to 32GB. Today, those cards are hard to find, and cost $100 - $200.On Pricewatch right now, 16GB's are selling for $33.

I watch movies on my iTouch, and have just this side of 5000 songs on it to boot, so for me, storage is a premium. If you want a phone and apps, but not a ton of media, or don't mind paying extra, y ou should be fine getting an Android today. If you need the storage, get an iPhone, but if you can at all wait, I would expect an announcement no later than early June this year for the new ones.

Can you buy a cheap battery to get you by for a few months?

8. Apr 8, 2010 #8 of 11
    flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I'm gonna be retiring my first gen iPhone in June for the new bright and shiny model. The Mrs. intends to get one, too. I'd wait it out.

speculation: The screen will probably be better, processor faster, and have more memory, and hopefully have wireless n.

9. Apr 8, 2010 #9 of 11
    Lefky

Lefky AllStar

Jun 22, 2007
    Thanks for your ideas, I have been with AT&T since my first cell and the roll over minutes have saved me numerous penalties so I plan to stick with them. Also, after the announcement today about the 3GS getting multitasking and nothing said about a new phone, I think I might pull the plug and get one.

10. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    See what Apple has to offer with the new OS update. At this point, IMO, they are behind their competitors.

Compare Apples offerings to some of the new Android offerings. The new HTC 4g phone has some amazing specs and sprint is much cheaper than AT&T or Verizon for everything plans - YMMV depending on Sprint's coverage. Regarding the roll over minutes, you may find sprints everything plan, where minutes don't matter, is cheaper, again YMMV depending on your needs. For a comparable plan for me, sprint is about $30 bucks cheaper.

I plan to change in June and see what each company (phone and provider) has to offer. I'm contemplating the HTC 4g phone for sprint and possibly an Iphone if they've caught up enough.

Competition is good and consumers are benefiting in this area.

11. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Personally I have the Iphone and its ok. I am highly considering going to the Blackberry cause I really have had a hard time getting used to not feeling the keys. If you have no rush I would wait.