should I let DTV update my system?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tedder, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Tedder

Tedder New Member

Mar 25, 2020
    Last week we had a service call to replace a defective HR-24 receiver. In the past DTV just mailed me a new receiver to replace a bad one but now with ATT you must have a service call. At any rate, the technician noted that our house was wired several years ago by DTV and needed updating . WE have 5 receivers in the house (various models) (3 are HR24'S) and they are wired to a Zinwell switch using all 8 outputs. Everything works (we don't use whole house) but he said we should have DTV install a SWM system along with all the new receivers needed and remove all of the old system except the wiring which could be reused in part.. Is this something that I will need in the future or was he filling the role of a salesman? Just curious..

2. SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    If you plan to stick with DTV. Upgrading to a SWM system would be wise.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. In the future you might have to upgrade to SWM (probably involving replacing your Zinwell switch with a splitter and using only one cable from the dish instead of four) but it sounds like you aren't missing anything not having it so I don't see any benefit to you from messing with it until something goes wrong or you want to get a Genie which would require SWM.

Weird that they require an installer visit to replace a receiver, you would think they'd want to keep their costs down by shipping you a replacement (and especially reduce unnecessary visits in the current situation)

dreadlk and Dishdude714 like this.
  4. Dishdude714

Dishdude714 New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I had a similar situation, and installer needed to come out. A few minutes later, a representative from att came to my door, wanted me to switch my cell service...really odd, but maybe that's what's going on here?

5. MrWindows

MrWindows New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Phoenix,...
    They seem to be upgrading everybody to the new 21-channel SWiM LNB, which is a plus if you ever want to expand your system or switch to the Genie2 and clients, including 4K. In addition, they will replace the compression fittings on both ends of each cable used in your home with newer Quad-Shielded, Low-Impedence ones, to ensure a higher-quality signal.

Rich likes this.
  6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Could be because his account is noted as not having swim...

I’ll bet his bill doesn’t have an Whole Home Service fee. Also wonder if the system is connected to the internet at all.

Any change will mean moving to a Whole Home Service setup,and bump in advanced fees if he’s on an ancient plan. (Though $3 isn’t hardly anything though to most people)

Also concern yourself with how your system is actually used. How many people in the house? How many shows do you record? How full are your DVRs? Do you record everything you watch?

I ask these things because there really two different upgrade routes if you do decide to go that way someday, and one is a lot more versatile but is actually an older path than the latest that they would surely default you to if you simply said yes upgrade without telling them what to install...

There is nothing wrong with the current setup per se, but it is older... to upgrade or not is a debate that can’t really be had till we know his viewing and recording habits.

SuperTech2131 likes this.
  7. SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    "In home expert" they have very little knowledge on DTV or ATT cellphones in my experience. There main job is to teach and inform the cx on ATT apps and how to use them fully. But they try and upsell them on phones.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  8. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    All of them are former techs in my area except one is a former store rep. They all have forgot more about products and services than most know.

9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    All the techs that I've ever had come out have known little to less then nothing. I've known more then them. Even from a common sense point of view. Techs just go by the script and don't bother with the actual cause. They take the nuclear route. I.e. remote needs new batteries? = Let's gut and replace 100% of equipment and wiring!!! I had that happen for a simple dish re-aim. He replaced the dish, the mount and all the wiring. Oh yeah, how can I forget that he "disconnected" my OTA antenna with wire cutters! 15 minute job turned into 4+ hrs and I had to go to Home Depot to buy RG6 connectors and a crimper to repair the OTA.

I'm happily running my "self installed" HR54 on a SWM8 + OTA. Not missing out on the useless, "non existent" 4K for now.

AngryManMLS likes this.
  10. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    I had a "tech" a few months ago who tried to say I was having a power issue over the HS-17 freezing/pausing issues then ran off into the night faster than even Sonic The Hedgehog would imagine. I did complain via "Office Of The President" and did get rewarded heavily for that ($60 off 12 month, free HBO for six months).

11. SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    That's cause most of the "Technicians" are actually just installers, they train on installs and then thrown into the world. Majority of then dont even know how to use their test equipment. Just yesterday I went go look at a system. 3 different techs, in a 2 month period. They changed out the hr54 twice, lnb twice, and added a external 21vPI and first thing I noticed when I got there was this barrel. That was the main line going to the hr54. Surprisingly, the system was still working intermittently, with frequent 771/775 errors [​IMG][​IMG]

studechip, 242424 and AngryManMLS like this.
  12. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Somehow I wouldn't be shocked if I have the same issue with my wiring.

13. SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    If you have any vertical connections or barrels I could almost guarantee it. I see it way to often, or indoor barrels used outside. Or just connections not tight. One of the previous Technicians even said it was most likely the LNB because there was a bad batch going around in the area.

14. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007

Techs are required to make the job look a certain way to pass qc. Its a requirement from upper levels so you get a lot of unnecessary work that MUST be done if the tech wants to keep their job. Maybe not in your case but a lot of people think they know more than the techs and 90% of the time they don't.

15. SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    And alot of "installers" roll the dice and dont care about QC. Gives Technicians a bad name. Sometimes when the workload is more demanding, they dont have the time to make every upgrade and service call QC compliant, especially on the contractor side of things. But installs should never go sub QC standards. Period. Your getting paid to make it right. Too many installers dont care about their job though.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I live in an area where it's tough to live on what the installers make. Don't see many installers that stay long enough to learn to do the jobs correctly. My favorite installer quit a couple years ago, he now delivers groceries for Stop and Shop. Says he makes more money doing that. With less hassle. Not hard to think a guy that was killing insects a few weeks ago knows less than I do about D* equipment.

Rich

SuperTech2131 likes this.
  17. SuperTech2131

SuperTech2131 Member

Aug 4, 2019
    Yup. Not big money in it anymore. At 30 service and 50/15 on installs. It's hard to keep the lights on if that's all you do. Learned several years back not to keep all my eggs in one basket.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Kinda cruel how they have to work now. Heart wrenching to watch a good guy have to quit and deliver groceries. Garfield stood in my foyer with bags of groceries and damn near wept because he was so embarrassed. He had just bought a house before the change in the way they are paid and was terrified he was gonna lose it. No unions, I guess. Haven't seen Garfield since that day. Good guy, damn shame.

Rich

19. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    I think it’s absolutely bizarre that they would send a tech for something like this given what’s going on. I would have told them no way am I letting anyone in my house at a time like this. One would also think that Directv would be using their limited manpower in more productive ways.

20. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Well it is probably like someone said, they want to send someone out to try and sell you on AT&T internet and cellular. If they have an installer visit you they know when you are home. Telemarketing doesn't work anymore because people don't answer the phone, so this is their only way to give people the hard sell I guess.

Even if they only hook 5% of customers this way it might be worth the cost of sending someone to deliver the box instead of mailing it, if they become a customer for several years or more.

dreadlk likes this.