Should Power Rangers have a Male Pink Ranger?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Pink Jazz, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Mentor

Jan 1, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I was wondering, does anyone think Power Rangers should someday have a male Pink Ranger?

I personally would love to see a male Pink Ranger as long as he isn't gay or effeminate. I would not be opposed to having a Ranger who is gay or effeminate, but making him the Pink Ranger would be promoting gay stereotypes when in truth gay men are less likely to wear pink in the real world than straight men. We had Larry the Cable Guy wear a bunch of pink tooth fairy outfits in the movie Tooth Fairy 2, and he is about as straight as you can get.

One of my ideas for a Power Rangers season would be known as Power Rangers Fairy Magic, where the leader Christopher Scott would be the Pink Fairy Ranger representing the element of Air. It would be awesome to see a Power Rangers season where the lead male character is a pink fairy!

What does anyone here think about the idea of having a male Pink Ranger in Power Rangers?

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    I'm not sure you're familiar with how PR is produced. They use footage from a Japanese show called Super Sentai, there's a quota of footage they need to use, so while it's easy to swap genders of the Yellow for some seasons to have two female rangers, it's a lot harder to do the reverse for Pink when it's clearly a female in the Japanese footage.

The last time they had an original ranger was Lightspeed Rescue back in 2000, but even then they had to create a storyline that gave them an excuse to barely use him. And that was only because they had some extra funds because, not only was it during the era where Saban and Fox Kids merged into Fox Family Worldwide with numerous international channels, they also got extra funding from McDonalds as part of the Triple Force Happy Meal promotion. These days Saban funds the show on their own, Nickelodeon just airs the show in the USA and has nothing to do with the actual production. The upcoming movie is all Lionsgate, they're just licensing the brand from Saban and Toei.

3. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Mentor

Jan 1, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yes, I am fully aware of that. I should have stated both Super Sentai and Power Rangers should have a male Pink Ranger, preferably if he isn't gay or effeminate.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Hopefully a children's show would be asexual ... but why does the color matter? Shouldn't we all be color blind?

1 person likes this.
  5. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    If you watch Sentai during Toquer the main group of 5 changed colors all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Saying one is 'color blind', as a societal obfuscation, is a myth bordering on
    an illusion if not an outright untruth, unless one is actually genetically color
    vision deficient. Those who assert that they are "color-blind" with respect to
    race are deluding themselves, but no one else. I have two politically-correct
    acquaintances who claim to not see color in the racial context, but they both
    are so clueless in this regard that it is almost comical if it weren't so sad. I tell
    them them, rather than trying to ignore color, they should celebrate our color
    and cultural differences.

Personally, my approach is, "I already know you're of a different color and so
    am I, so let's forget about that and go grab a couple of beers."

Yes, of course I see color but, to paraphrase Dr. King, I prefer to judge people
    by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin.

1 person likes this.
  7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'll add to the diversity conversation and "color-blind..." At an employee orientation back when I was first hired at IBM... one day the instructor stood before us and asked "What do notice about me?" People's responses mentioned his tie, his shoes, various other things... until he asked "Doesn't anyone notice I'm black?"

The point was... people are different. Don't pretend people aren't. That's as bad as treating them poorly because they are different. Recognize and acknowledge people's differences... and then work together.

1 person likes this.
  8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And that is what I mean by "color blind". Not letting the differences get in the way of how a person is treated.

One fan site describes the power ranger colors as personalities:
    "Pink"
    "Pink has represented girls, love, health, fairies, beauty, cuteness, and glamor. And all the Pink Rangers have in some way represented all those aspects (fairies only to a few). The majority of the Pink Rangers in Sentai had to represent feminine side, be super girly. The few Pink Rangers that have been tomboyish have been Yuuri of Timeranger, Jen, Sakura (Boukenger), Vida of Mystic Force, Rose, and Mia."
    http://henshingrid.blogspot.com/2011/02/representation-of-colors.html

(That site's words, not mine.)

If one is asking for a masculine pink ranger wouldn't a different color code be more appropriate? Or is the desire to shake up the "color code" of the shows an attempt to destroy the stereotypical roles?

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    No

10. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    This had an "all pink" Gokai change in one of the Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger movies.

1 person likes this.
  11. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    So much nonsense. This nation continues to fail at reaching its true potential because of so many unimportant observations. Color, nationality, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, religion, etc. Shouldn't it just be what's inside that counts? We have wasted countless decades obsessing on these points.

12. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    These days, I think you'd need a rainbow Ranger. That is the meme of the time that folks currently associate with LGBT. :group:

But even that is sort of shoving things down our throats. I don't mind the LGBT, I celebrate the LGBT. Just not that happy about the shoving. If you are LGBT, then start to 'represent', and stop doing stupid things like shoving it down our throats, because when you do, we are more likely to associate 'stupid' with LGBT. You don't want that. We don't either.

I think it might be arrogant, maybe even elitist to define 'color-blind' that narrowly or specifically. If you are sensitive and accepting to lifestyles, then be sensitive and accepting to how someone defines a concept like 'color-blind'.

I honestly feel that it is quite possible for color (or any other ethnic or belief-based aspect) to not enter in that much when one judges another person. I am living proof of that, and that quite clearly fits the definition of 'color-blind', at least to me. Unless you are NOT color-blind and think I should not be allowed the freedom to define it like that.

Check it out at my new website: colorblindlivesmatter.org (I really hope somebody believed that enough to go check :sure: )

13. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    There was a rainbow themed "ranger" called Big One from the Super Sentai series J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai. Of course, that series ran in 1977.

Attached Files:

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    How do you define "shoving"? I see a lot of people complaining, saying that the LGBT community is too "out there" and "wants us to know they are gay" or whatever... as if heterosexuality isn't ALL over the place too. Sex sells you know... Watch TV for more than a few minutes, you are beaten over the head with heterosexual sexy imagery in commercials and TV shows. You can't have a comedy without a sexy girl... can't have sci-fi without a sexy girl (or girl robot)... can't have drama without sex... commercials, sex!

I very rarely see homosexual situations, and even when I do... they are so far in the minority of what I see that it's hard for me to even remotely categorize it as "shoving."

Truth be told... as heterosexual as I am... I would rather have less sex in my sci-fi and comedy sometimes. Sometimes the sex is just there to be sexy, that seems like shoving to me! So many movies have gratuitous nudity that serves nothing towards the plot... I can appreciate nudity, but I don't need to see it all the time. I also don't like it in mixed company, and some movies I used to not be able to watch with my parents, for instance because of the needless sex scenes.

So, I am truly curious, how you are perceiving any shoving of LGBT agenda... What I see are LGBT asking to be included and considered equally to other people. I see no shoving.

15. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Oh. There is shoving. It's laughable that someone might 'take the high road' pretending that there isn't.

A blatant example is coming.

Let's look at all of the shows Greg Berlanti produces. Every single one of them MUST have an LGBT character woven in somehow. At least one. Now GB is a talented superproducer, and a big hoo-hah in Hollywood. I tip my hat. And he has an agenda, which I support, and I do not condemn him for having his agenda, although it would seem just a bit more altruistic if his agenda wasn't tied directly to his personal lifestyle. But hey, more power to you, Greg. Now instead of the 'shoving', how about you go to work and figure out how to make Supergirl a lot better than what you gave us in 2016.

And I define THAT as 'shoving', because those story threads serve no real purpose other than his agenda. Sure, the real world has lots of LGTB stuff, lots of rainbows. But as portrayed by GB, it is completely IN-organic, constantly gets IN THE WAY of the story he's trying to tell, and is completely at cross-purposes to fine drama or fine entertainment. It's nothing more than a distraction that blunts the pace and destroys the rhythm, which takes the viewer out of his state of suspended disbelief. Good thing he isn't doing comedy. He is letting all of the air out of the balloon by doing this. Stop doing this.

We know you guys are out there everywhere. That's just fine. We love all of you. Really, we do. Now get back to the GD story, ferchrissakes, and find a way to 'represent' your agenda in a better, more constructive way. Andrew, slap your partner around a little bit for me, get him to wake up. We came here for Supergirl, and we didn't come here for your agenda. Sorry. I don't want to pick on Greg, but there are lots and lots and lots of examples in the entertainment industry.

Sadly, as wonderful a producer as he might be, and as I'm sure as wonderful person as he might be, this does not rise very far above an idiot in a gay pride parade cavorting and dressing in costume just to shock or piss off non-believers and rub HIS agenda in everyone else's face. 'Pride', and 'insolence', are not at all the same thing. GB, you're better than that. Stop disappointing us.

Now what is even more sad might be that someone of a lower IQ, let's say, might equate making that observation with prejudice. Not what's going on here. Just sad if you think so.

Oh, and thanks to you, too, Captain Obvious (no, that last statement is not directed at you, and it did not remind me to say this; you know that I have the highest respect for you, even though I know you about as well as I might know Greg Berlanti). I would have never even guessed that 'Sex sells, you know'. Of course I know. Who doesn't know that? But thanks just the same for pointing it out to us. We hadn't a clue.

16. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Mentor

Jan 1, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I wouldn't have an issue with a Power Ranger who is gay, but would prefer a male Pink Ranger to be straight since otherwise a gay male Pink Ranger would be promoting gay stereotypes. Should Power Rangers have a Ranger who is gay, I would actually prefer him to be a Green or Black Ranger, since it would give more emphasis to those Ranger colors who are otherwise underrepresented in the series.

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Does it really matter what a Power Ranger's color, sex or sexual preference is?? I don't think so.

18. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They never came out and said it on the show, but there is someone in the current season where the actors and producers decided to treat as if he's gay. (It's pretty obvious which one it is)

Don't get your hopes up on ever seeing anything like a relationship between characters of the same sex. The last few times they hinted at relationships during Megaforce and Samurai were basically glorified one way schoolyard crushes that were never acknowledged by the other person until the finale. I doubt we'll ever see anything as deep as Tommy/Kim/Kat got back in the day anytime in the future when it comes to relationships, straight or gay, that was when they were still writing with the idea of the initial audience growing up with the show, something they have long since given up on. (i.e. the Snow Business 3 parter during Zeo that guest starred Sarah Brown from VR Troopers, who later went on to star in a bunch of Soap Operas)

19. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Regarding the "shoving"... Hitchcock used to put himself in his movies... Stan Lee is in all the Marvel movies... isn't that an agenda too? It takes away from the plot, usually an unnecessary character just to let the actor be there... Star Trek Voyager famously added Jeri Ryan as a Borg character to up the sex quotient... that was shoving heterosexuality in a place it didn't need to be, and sometimes the show suffered for it too. On TNG, Deanna Troi for that matter almost never wore a regulation Starfleet uniform like every other female character... instead they shoved her "assets" at us every week. Director Kevin Smith has put himself in a lot of his movies too... shoving! A lot of TV shows in recent years that have been produced in Vancouver to save money end up using a lot of the same actors... some extras, others more well-known... shoving!

I watched Supergirl season 1... was there a gay character on the show? I'm asking this seriously. I don't remember one. If there was, they didn't do a good job at the shoving, because I don't remember!

The whole "shoving" reaction always seems overblown to me, sorry... I only seem to see it from people who don't seem to think it belongs in anything... and I'm not trying to read into your motivations for the discussion, but I'm also not seeing this "shoving" of "agendas" you're talking about. I'm just seeing TV shows.

20. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I see a lot of the shoving that Tom is referring to. On General Hospital, the EP and Head Writer are gay and it looks like they are interjecting non organic gay storylines. Then the gay characters disappear for 2 months only to be trotted back out for another showing that has nothing to do with any story currently happening.
    With that said, I also don't know of a gay character in Super Girl, unless memory fails. Which it absolutely could have, lol!