1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shows ending early

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by inazsully, Jun 27, 2010.

1. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Seems like a simple fix but the solution escapes me. I record a lot and a few shows always seem to stop recording 30 seconds or less before the broadcast ends so I miss the last seconds of the ending. I know I can set the DVR to record 1 minute longer etc, but is there a way to set the actual time (TV or DVR) so this won't be necessary?

2. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    The default is to record shows 3 minutes past the ending. You can change that in the Options section from the Timers screen.

Unfortunately, some networks choose to run programs long on purpose, particularly on popular shows. ABC is one that does that pretty regularly and did with Lost.

You can change the start (default is 1 minute early) and the end times of the timer when you first set the recording or through the timer screen. Note that this may interfere with other programs you have set to record, as the extra time will run into the beginnings of subsequent shows.

Good luck!

3. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Just a caveat on changing the defaul pre and post timers...
    The 1 minute before and 3 after allows the timing system to record consecutive shows on the same channel without using a different tuner. You could record 2 shows at once and then the next shows on the same channel.
    If you change the default, it will require another tuner, even if on consecutive channels.

4. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    My system default was 2 minutes Early, 0 Late. I changed it to 1 x 0 once the big 4 networks stopped really messing with offsetting program times. For the longest time that worked just fine. But I think I know what the OP is talking about. I have noticed since the L627 update, shows are getting the tail ends cut off where this was never an issues before. Messing with the timer delays only invokes the other flaw and creates conflicts because timers don't see that if a program starts early, it will end early and there is no provision for that. I think there was with my Series 1 TiVo, short lived POS, and if they did that on DISH, just one more infringement?

But if the timers were more logical and accommodated early ending, where the latest happening is not this, there would be no conflicts. But I have never known DISH to operate logically. Otherwise, Zap2It/Tribune Media would not be the source for the EPG. Tonights foopah, The Wormhole as they have it truncatedly listed, thank God it works for timers, with the new program info listed for tonights new showing, but it was last weeks program. One would think after a single or few examples of something that is severely wrong, such as Timers and the EPG, you would think a company as "forthright" as DISH would fix it in short order. No such luck. With none on the horizon.

My recent solution has been to download the shows off the Internet and watch the ending or the whole thing instead of using DISH. I see why there are so many discussion lately on why have OTA TV or broadcast channels or services at all for that matter. I'd rather pay to get a clean unf^kced with program that I can watch in its entirety and not have to worry about all the DISH idiosyncrasies. My Blu-ray player cuts through all of that in short order. Especially with VUDU and its true 1080p programming and all the other online providers. Having DISH around is becoming more and more questionable daily with all the crap that is now associated with it.

/rant

5. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    When I installed my replacement VIP722 I had left it at the defaults of 1 minute early for start and 3 minutes late for end.

I didn't notice it right away because L627 seems to automatically take care of conflicting overlaps, even when the timers are on different channels. In other words, it will stop the first timer at the designated stop time, cutting the extra three minutes. Coorespondingly, it will start the second timer at the set time, and not a minute early.

I have not seen very many cut-off recordings with the new DVR.

6. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I see less of this issue with my OTA recordings. I'm not sure why though.

7. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    The answer is simple and affects D* & E*

The Timers stop on time. Anything via satellite has a delay built in. That consists of the time to compress to mpeg2/mpeg4 and transmit it into space over the equator and back down to your dish.

If you want to see the effects of this and you have a vip622/722 for example tune the same channel OTA and via satellite and use the pip window. you will see the delay there.

8. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    Nope. I started having problems after the first of the year and after L627. I have had a 722 for two years and never had an issue with this until recently.

9. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I know there's a bit of a delay but not to the extent that it makes more than a minutes difference.

10. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    It would be nice if E* adjusted the beginning and end times by a few seconds to compensate for the delays. I would assume it would be one value for sat programming and another for OTA programming. That way, there would be no conflicts.

I wish the networks would learn to stick to the schedule so they don't screw up DVR users. My wife records American Idol and one time they were about to announce the winner of the season. It went like this: "and the winner is ..." [end of recording]. I was ROFL and my wife was ticked. I had to scramble to see if I could find the last seconds on YouTube.

I would bet the networks do this deliberately because they don't like DVR users being able to skip through the commercials. At least in the VCR era, you had to watch the commercials as you fast forwarded and people didn't record as much because it was such a hassle. Now, people talk about commercials that I have never seen because I watch everything on the DVR.

11. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    That's one of the reasons, the other is they feel you'll be less likely the change channels away from the one you are watching because if you stay to see the end of program you miss the beginning of any other programing on competing networks.

12. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I'm going to have to go with blame the networks.

Castle always started late which means the prior show ended late.

I think on CBS most shows started and ended on time.

Fox was variable as I remember.

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    ABC's the worst.
    Fox is variable, but tends to run late with the 8 pm show.
    CBS and NBC are usually on time.
    On the cable side recently TNT has become a problem along with FX, while USA is usually on time.

14. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    I remember when TBS and TNT started 5 after on purpose...

15. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    Once upon a time shows ended a few minutes before the hour or half hour, a commercial break and an FCC mandated station ID was run, then the next show would start on the hour or half hour. You could set your clock by the show start time. You could also switch channels during the commercial break, which the networks did not much care for.

At some point the FCC dropped the mandatory hourly station ID. Sometime after that the networks began running one show into the next, skipping the break. From that point the exact start time became less important at the single channel level. The result is it is harder to switch from one channel to another without missing the start or end of one show, and DVRing became much more complicated.

There is a bit of a low grade war going on between DVR users and program providers. Perhaps the best fix is to add a third tuner just to allow for greater overlap.

Another solution (one I have been considering) is to just watch less TV. Every once in a while I go outside and discover there is an entire other world out there! And it's in HD and 3D!

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No, they didn't. Perhaps not enforced as harshly as it was in the past but the legal ID is still required at the top of every hour. Where I have seen it most commonly is in a five second bump between the shows ... the legal part of the ID is a simple line of text at the bottom of the screen.

Cable networks are not required to do IDs and often overlap programming, even to the point of showing opening credits over the closing credits for the previous show. If one watches mostly cable networks one may believe the legal ID has gone the way of the dodo. But on broadcast networks look for the call letters and channel number on the bottom of the screen - every hour - at a natural break in programming.

Radio stations are also required to air a legal ID but those are generally more noticeable as it is more than a silent line of text at the bottom of the screen. What many radio stations illegally do is bury the ID in the last commercial break of the hour and put some promo sounder at the top of the hour. For example: "WQQQ Quesville" buried between commercials and a "Q108" stinger at the top of the hour. Illegal but commonly done. With the silent nature of TV IDs the stations I watch don't bother to break the law.

17. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    I'm with Farmer and Sully

I have a 722 and sometime after the first of the year I have been getting cut off early, also. When I had Charter their built in clock would go goofy once in a while which would cause the show to start early and then end early. I know the drill about adjusting the timer but that isnt the point. I dont always want to add to the timer now because I sometimes have another network show starting right after and that means they would be recording together while I am trying to view another channel.

Irritation of the day :(

18. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    Where this all started was when the Networks started shows early in the hope of keeping the viewer by interesting them before the show that they may have switched to statred. That worked with one or two networks with "interesting" programming. Not when all started doing it. The big problem was that DISH did not keep up with the "swift" by giving us the capability to accommodate it. We can start early, end late, but not start late, end late and start another program without the timers "conflicting". Although TiVo had their timers able to pre-shift long before this all started, which has always made me think the reason that DISH did not do this was not to be called out for infringement (on top of whatever else).

So I had to get use to adding time or balancing timers when on the Big 3, now 4ish, but did not with the "cable" channels. It came out to be an average of 2 minutes early and 0 late worked for a long time. OF WHICH is why the "cable" channels started showing their programming in high rotation and could be counted on to start at on the mark. So that when we were done f^rting around with the networks that there would always be their shows on "at our convenience" or to work as the proverbial DVR timer was/is set to operate. That is why some of the "cable" networks became so prominent. They catered to the viewer instead of commanding us.

I have long since noticed this with Grandma and her 625 where she is always struggleing to get the entire show and mediate timers. Which is what made me really notice that after L627 hit my 722 and my perfectly tuned timers were not getting all the show where it had before and the networks, whom I have kept a close eye on to document this for DISH, are not doing anything different.

I now find it easier to download the shows, watch them at my convenience and it is amazing to see how much high quality quickly available programming is on the net. And my Blu-ray player with DLNA and it's wide range of file compatibility is amazing. Not to mention that my Mac has been a great media server since at least 2000. I'm seriously wondering why have DISH at all. The networks are wondering the same and making viewing direct so much more appealing. Everybody but DISH seems to be doing so.

The two base issues are the EPG sucks and is often inaccurate which will trump a shifted network. And DISH's UI is very antiquated, presumably so to avoid clashes with TiVo. I just wish Charlie would finally buy TiVo and give us their GUI and E* go back to focusing on "better" hardware/PQ. Until then all kinds fun and frivolity is going to be had.

19. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Today, July 5 is a perfect example. On Spike today they are showing all the episodes of "Band of Brothers". I set my 722 to "Record All" and it is all set except for episode 5, which had the dreaded "X Cannot record because of conflict". Now, each episode is shown as lasting 1:30 and all show as good to go except for episode 5 of the 11 total episodes. I will have to manually record this episode because I assume there is some kind of time overlap. Many viewers that have become serious users of the DVR would probably consider switching providers if one would make this problem go away. When you record 3 different shows at the same time like I often do this problem is not a minor pain.

20. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    Welcome the logic that is DISH.