SHOWS missing from To-do list

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by the2130, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Dec 3, 2017 #1 of 27
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I noticed today that several shows were not showing up in the To-do list on my HR54, even though there are first-run episodes showing in the program guide next week. I had to select the shows in the guide and press the Record button. Anyone else having this issue or know what causes it?

2. Dec 3, 2017 #2 of 27
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This happens some times because the show / program was shown in Canada a few weeks before we get to see it. The date is possibly 2 to 3 weeks already passed for it's first air date and this makes the DVR think it is an old episode. For those particular shows change the first Run to All and delete the ones you do not want instead of missing episodes.

3. Dec 3, 2017 #3 of 27
    Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Happened to me with this week's episode of "Mom."

4. Dec 3, 2017 #4 of 27
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Bad guide data, shows first aired in other countries and setting season passes using Search instead of the Guide can cause this to happen.

5. Dec 3, 2017 #5 of 27
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    These are not shows that aired in other countries. They were set from the guide and each of them shows an original air date for next week. They have been recording without issue until now. They include Modern Family, Riverdale, Mr Robot, Big Bang Theory, Agents of Shield, and Blind spot.

Every weekend I check the list of upcoming shows for the following week to see if there are any conflicts. This is the first time I've seen this many shows missing.

6. Dec 3, 2017 #6 of 27
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you have not done so already, reset the receiver with the red button.

7. Dec 3, 2017 #7 of 27
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I've observed that too -- for shows that are several days in the future. By the time the actual air date rolls around, they normally get recorded. As an experiment, if you find one that's not on the To Do List, DON'T hit the Record button and wait to see if it actually records -- make it a show on a "Cable" channel that will be repeated several times so that you can manually record it if it fails to record automatically.

The one's I have the most trouble with are sports events I've added to the list more than a week out. Sometimes they fail to record, leaving me to wonder if I had really set them to record for that week.

8. Dec 3, 2017 #8 of 27
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Check your History list and see if it gives a reason the program was not recorded.

FWIW - Mom recorded fine here for the last two weeks (11/23, 11/30) from my season pass. But this is controlled by the guide data - and if your local station submits faulty data ...

9. Dec 3, 2017 #9 of 27
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    It's possible the recordings would show up if I waited, but I check the to-do list every weekend and I've never seen this many shows missing. And all of the missing shows were displayed in the program guide with descriptions and air dates. Not sure what to make of it.

As to a red button reset, I'll have to wait for a better time. It takes too long for the guide to rebuild.

10. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT
    It was clearly a bug with Directv. Happened on my HS17 Friday night. By Saturday morning it was back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah, it will record. To do list is always a this is probably what will happen, because the DVR always checks a few minutes before the hour to verify the most up to date info on if it should record.

Also, if you set your series priority right, and record everything, you never need to check anything in the to do list.

12. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    I discovered the missing to do for Mom 15 minutes before it was due to air.

13. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Not so. The to-do list is how you check for conflicts. No matter how you set the priorities, if there are too many shows on at the same time, something will fail to record.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually 100% so.

If you don’t record sports I can get any combination of things to record that may conflict on a first showing with five tuners simply by setting up the priorities correctly. Sports throws a wrench into some and at that point there’s a choice to make, when you set up you prioritizer.

Cable shows are shown multiple times a week, as long as you put your shows from local channels at the top and the rest at the bottom generally, (often simply ordering your playlist by first the big five networks, then other local channels, then simply by channel number takes care of everything. If you record things that are in reaired on multiple channels then you should use the all channels recording options ) (there’s only been a couple exceptions, and they are best placed directly after local channel stuff then you are set there too) the DVR will automatically record a cable show at another airing even if it is set for first run only if the DVR itself skips the first airing due to there being a conflict.

If you manually change anything then that won’t happen because you canceled the episode instead of letting the DVR do it. Messing with your to do list instead of getting your priority list right is not the best way to do things, because you aren’t there for sudden guide changes always, where as the DVR is, so it will take care of handling these issues, if you never touch the to do list in the first place. Mess with it and it won’t rework what you did if there is a guide update that is different from what you thought you adjusted for.

15. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    All DVRs have a to-do list. That's because it's a feature people find useful. It's supposed to work. Btw, there are lots of cable shows that don't have multiple showings as you asserted.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The only season pass you listed that we have in common is Big Bang Theory. When I checked mine this weekend, it was set to record this week.

So not sure what is causing your issue. Restarting or clear my box might be warranted.

17. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Yes, a reboot could fix it. I'll probably do that this week. What is "clear my box"?

18. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I see some of the same shows that were missing in the to-do list for next week, so the issue may have resolved itself.

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    First I'd try a restart.

But if you're still having problems with a DVR (and it looks like you might not be from your last post), do a SEARCH for CLEARMYBOX (you won't find any shows/movies, but when you enter it in the Search and let it run, it cleans out a lot of things on your DVR). You don't lose anything, but it takes longer than a restart to populate the Guide and your season passes.

20. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Seems like the to-do list is back to normal. Must have been a temporary glitch. That's good, because I use it constantly. It's especially useful on Sundays, when a ton of shows are on and I record a bunch of football games, which are padded to run into the primetime hours. By checking the to-do list, I can shuffle some of the shows that have multiple airings and shorten the recording times of some of the games if there are still too many shows. I also have the 2 tuners on my HR21 to fall back on.