1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shows say recorded, but screen blank

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jhrain, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhrain

jhrain Mentor

Jan 10, 2007
    Tonight sat down to watch shows recorded this weekend. All of them recorded in HD, local channels through DirecTV (not OTA).

Click PLAY, screen is black.. progress bar along the bottem believes shows recorded. The are blank for the entire program.

Law and Order Episodes
    Desperate Housewives
    Brothers and Sisters

It's been a couple of months since I called into to DTV to see if they had advice. Got all the compliments about being an "A" customer and got transferred to 2nd level support because we pay extra for maintenance. The answer I got from George was "yeah, that's one of the known problems that will be fixed sometime with a software upgrade.. Can I do anything else?"

Huh?

I've rummaged through this site.. we're connected via HDMI... Suggestions? Thoughts?

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Have you tried reseting your HR20 yet?

3. jhrain

jhrain Mentor

Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, we reset the box, the shows are still blank. Waiting to see if this happens tonight with Hero's. We've got our Vista PC recording OTA Hero's and our HR10-250 (TIVO) recording too just as a backup.

4. roconnell

roconnell AllStar

Apr 9, 2007
    I've had that happen to me..once. When i got the white blank screen I exited out back to live TV and then back to List and selected the program again. It worked fine the second time.

5. May 1, 2007 #5 of 19
    bigjohn7

bigjohn7 Cool Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Try this:

Start playing the "black" recording
    Push "Pause" & wait for about 40-50 seconds
    Push "Play"
    Push "fast foreward" (x2) & when it reaches the end of the paused section it should start showing.

If it does start, you can push rewind back to the beginning & watch the whole recording. I don't have a clue why, but this worked for me several times (ymmv) :confused:

6. May 1, 2007 #6 of 19
    rminsk

rminsk Legend

Dec 4, 2006
    There are quite a few people who get blank recordings. It is pretty much par for the course on all four of the HR20-700 I have access too.

7. May 4, 2007 #7 of 19
    malmeyer

malmeyer New Member

Mar 9, 2007
    This happened to me with this week's 'Lost'. I'll try the steps posted in this thread.

Thanks.

8. May 4, 2007 #8 of 19
    FastEddie

FastEddie AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    Same issue in Portland, OR

9. May 4, 2007 #9 of 19
    FastEddie

FastEddie AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    I tried the above steps and nothing. I have it on two different channels 8KGW & 12KPTV

10. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    I guess I'm lucky. Never lost any recording on either recorder.:D

11. chachster

chachster Legend

Aug 25, 2004
    Had the same issue with two recordings about a week ago. After doing a RBR the shows were viewable.

12. eatswodo

eatswodo AllStar

Nov 19, 2005
    Happened for the first time for me this week with Jericho. Wish I'd seen this thread for suggested remedies before I deleted it!

iTunes to the rescue....

13. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    It happens from time to time. I haven't seen one in awhile, but I used to get 2 or so a week. You have the right idea using TiVo and Media Center as backups. The HR20 is not yet ready to function as your primary DVR.

14. Marcia_Brady

Marcia_Brady Legend

Nov 25, 2005
    Welcome to my world, it happens to us all the time. Just business as usual for this unit, lol.

15. Marcia_Brady

Marcia_Brady Legend

Nov 25, 2005
    Welcome to my world, it happens to us all the time:( . Just business as usual for this unit, lol.

16. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Ditto.. happened to me on several occasions, but normally after RBR, the recording finally plays after a few attempts. Definitely a bug to be fixed.

17. johnd55

johnd55 Mentor

Mar 29, 2007
    Same here. Fortunately the old TIVO stand-by worked like charm:)

18. Twister18

Twister18 AllStar

Dec 22, 2004
    I had 24 do it to me this week. Luckily my SD DVR tapes it too.

19. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Whose line did it to me on my living room this morning. My bedroom one recorded just fine.

Only difference is the living room is on the naional release, whereas my bedroom is on 15a.

I wish there were another window to try 15a on the living room one, but I've already deleted the recordings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.