DBSTalk Forum banner

Showtime Audio Problems

Tags
install
6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  CCarncross 
#1 ·
HD-DVR HR21-100 using HDMI and optical connection for audio.

Everything works quite well for me. No problems at all EXCEPT for Showtime HD recordings. Every 10 minutes or so the audio drops for 1 or 2 seconds. This happens on ALL Showtime recordings and it does NOT happen on any other recordings or programming.

Since it only happens with Showtime I am operating under the assumption it is not hardware related. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Bruce

#2 ·
Hmm...I haven't had any issues with showtime. I have an hdmi pass-through set up so I don't need optical. Have you just tried watching showtime(no recording) and heard the same issue?

I would guess a channel issue myself...

#5 ·
I am having the same problem! I also have a DirecTV HD DVR, Model HR21-100. I'm using a digital optical out cable for the audio.

Just as you described, the sound will drop out for a brief second or two and then come back. I also don't have this problem with any other channel, only the Showtime channels. It seems to happen both watching live and watching recorded programs.

The frequency varies, sometimes once every 10 minutes, sometimes once every 30 minutes or so. But it always happens. If anyone has any advice or tips on how this could be fixed it would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance

#8 ·
I'm having this problem as well. I've noticed it more frequently lately, but it happened last year around this time too (remember it happening while watching Dexter last season, I switched back to the SD channel cause it was so bad. But it only lasted for a week or two).

Glad to know it's not just me having the problem.

#11 ·
Hard to say. I'm guessing it's an error in the digital audio stream, similar to the AC3 errors that cause the "brrrppp audio problem". Fortunately this one is very brief. I doubt it's AV Receiver-related because it happens with both my Denon and Sony AVRs, one connected via HDMI and one connected via optical.

#12 ·
Yeah, it's not a huge problem for me either. And sometimes I can watch Dexter or other programming the whole way through without it happening. But it does happen enough to notice which can be an annoyance, especially when watching a first-run program.

litzdog - Do you think it's more an issue with Showtime itself, or DirecTV's Showtime in particular? And do you think this is an issue that DirecTV or Showtime would look into if we e-mailed them? Or would they consider it a problem on the user end to fix.

#13 ·
goblue137 said:

litzdog - Do you think it's more an issue with Showtime itself, or DirecTV's Showtime in particular? And do you think this is an issue that DirecTV or Showtime would look into if we e-mailed them? Or would they consider it a problem on the user end to fix.
I'm guessing it's a DirecTV-unique issue, but don't know if it's Showtime's feed to DirecTV, or DirecTV's re-transmission of Showtime. It sure wouldn't hurt to email them both.

#15 ·
I'm not a DBS subscriber, but I am having the same problems. It's been happening for at least the last month (at least as long as Dexter and Californication have back on). I did a search tonight to see if anyone else has had this problem and found this forum.

I am a Time Warner subscriber in Charlotte NC using a Scientific Atlanta HD8300 with a Onkyo 705 using an HDMI connection to my receiver. I also have an external DVRexpander connected. I have not noticed these audio problems with the live viewing, it only seems to happen with recordings.

Last nights Showtime HD transmissions were terrible and unwatchable. We recorded them initially and could not watch the show with alot of pixelation and streaky picture for both Dexter and Californication. The broadcasts tonight looked better.

Maybe someone should contact Showtime since it seems unique to their programming now that we have the same problem through different providers and hardware configurations.

I'll continue to watch this forum.

Dave

#20 ·
I too have the same issues only with SHOWTIME.... it has been happening for a couple of months now. i have tried with and without my AV receiver and it still cuts out. like everyone else it is a 1 to 2 second deal ... which is not a show stopper but it is annoying and i now find myself avoiding watching stuff on Showtime. which sux since i pay for that channel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.