Showtime to rebrand multiplex as Sho*BET

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by zeebre12, Feb 21, 2020.

1. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Dec 28, 2014
    new york
    Showtime to rebrand one of its multiplex channels Showcase as Sho*BET. It will feature scripted series from BET and Showtime. I don't really see the point of this? Is this not basically what BET Her is already? It's hardly premium just seems recycling more content?
    Showtime Showcase To Be Rebranded As SHO*BET In Summer – Deadline

2. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...

Interesting, more to the point [ as I pointed out in a previous post] Dish does NOT give us the FULL Showtime channel line up when you sub. It's mising 3 more channels.
    WHY IS THAT???

crodrules likes this.
  3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Showtime Family Zone was added February 5th.
    Showtime Next and Showtime Women remain uncarried.

4. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Yes, and Dish did not see fit to include Showtime Family Zone in the current Showtime free preview. So, Dish does not even give the full Showtime channel line up that they carry when they are featuring the package as a free preview. That hardly seems like a good way to entice people to sign up for the package, by leaving out the most recently added channel. How are regular customers (not those who read these boards) supposed to find out that Dish even carries it? :mad:

5. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Showtime Extreme and Showtime Beyond are also not included in the preview (as far as I can tell).
    Unsubscribed channels show up in the guide where non-subscribers can see what they are missing without a subscription.
    Giving access to the core channels and not all gives non-subscribers a taste of what they are missing.

6. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Showtime Extreme (channel 322) and Showtime Beyond (channel 323) definitely are included in the free preview. This goes back to our conversation in last month's uplink report thread: since these channels are only carried in standard-def, they do not show up in the uplink report when they are put in free preview, only the HD feeds show up there. According to the free preview page on Dish's website, the Showtime preview is supposed to include the entire range from 318 to 333. Free Channel Previews | MyDISH

The problem with Showtime Family Zone (channel 324) is that it is only carried in HD. Unfortunately, this means that it does not show up in the guide when it is unsubscribed, and it is not even anywhere in the guide during the free preview. Being an HD feed, this means that it would have shown up in the uplink report if it had been turned on, but there is no sign of it there, either.

satcrazy likes this.
  7. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Hmmm I wonder if they will add any of the BET+ series to Sho*BET?

Expect more of this type of thing from the new ViacomCBS. I wouldn't be surprised if Showtime Next gets re-branded to Sho*VH1 ROFL. After all ViacomCBS is moving RuPaul's Drag Race: All-Stars from VH1 to Showtime starting with its fifth season on June 5th. The main series will stay on VH1 when it premieres its 12th season on February 28th.

8. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    IMOP, what they are "missing" is the complete line up of showtime, Never had it since I've been with dish, but since dish lost out on HBO and Max, it would be a real offering of a premium channel. Dish must have made some kind of deal to get a reduced rate for less channels?
    It is carried by the competition in my city, so it can be viewed in this area.
    Seems dish is not interested, or thinks we are satisfied with a lot of repeats.

Dishdude714 and crodrules like this.
  9. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Neither satellite provider carries the full suite of Showtime channels. While E* is missing Showtime Next and Showtime Women D* is missing Showtime Family Zone. Sling TV appears to have the full lineup.

10. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    That might get Dish to actually start carrying Showtime Next. :p :D

It is possible that since Showtime Family Zone was so recently added, the part of Dish's contract with Showtime that authorizes this current free preview does not include that channel. Still, it would have been nice if the free preview listing on Dish's website had accurately reflected that.

I have a theory that during the next "Kids' Binge-A-Palooza" we will be seeing a free preview of Showtime Family Zone (and only that one channel, not the entire Showtime suite). I am guessing that Dish's contract only authorizes each Showtime channel to be in free preview for a certain number of days in a certain time frame. So, Dish must have chosen to split the Showtime free preview into two separate free previews, instead of featuring the entire suite all at once, in order to avoid being contractually prevented from featuring Showtime Family Zone during Dish's annual showcase of kid-friendly programming. Dish used to feature a free preview of HBO Family during this event, back when Dish still had HBO. So, it makes sense that Showtime Family Zone would be used as a replacement for HBO Family, now that it is clear that HBO is probably never coming back.

11. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Well, I count a dozen dedicated "kid's channels" in my 250 package.

I'm not interested in adding more. [ mine is grown and did just fine with PBS]

If Dish could only add one more [ again, why?] it could have been "next" instead of family. We have plenty of "family friendly" channels.

JMO.

12. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    That is a good question. Dish has all of the bandwidth that was freed up by the removal of HBO and Cinemax, as well as all of those channel numbers available in the low 300's, which happens to be adjacent to the existing Showtime range of channels, so there is plenty of room for expansion there.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Thanks for the correction. I subscribe so I can't go by the guide. Enjoy your rant.

crodrules likes this.
  14. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    The free preview is over, and Showtime Family Zone never did show up. :(