Showtime Women to end

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Dishdude714, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Dishdude714

Dishdude714 Member

Dec 2, 2019
    A slate on channel 552-1 says that showtime women will no longer be available as of November 11th at 6:00 an est. It will be replaced with showtime family zone.

Since it says no longer available, I wanna assume it's ceasing broadcasting on all systems?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe you are correct. I also believe the replacement by Family Zone will give DIRECTV the full slate of remaining Showtime channels.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Considering Fusion and El Rey Network are limping along after being dropped by D*, Showtime Women could limp along for a while. I haven't seen any other provider alerting customers that Showtime Women is being discontinued. (It is possible we could see more people dropping Showtime Women in the coming weeks if it is going off-air.)

An alternate scenario is ViacomCBS wants broader carriage of Showtime Family Zone and was able to get AT&T to add Showtime Family Zone in place of Showtime Women. Also AT&T would prefer to get as many people off U-Verse TV in favor of AT&T TV or DirecTV. So if Showtime Family Zone is more popular with U-Verse TV customers than Showtime Women (the only AT&T platform to carry the full Showtime multi-plex) and D* customers rarely watch Showtime Women then AT&T most likely figured having Showtime Family Zone was more beneficial.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You're right. While satellite often drops channels without notice most cable companies give some warning. Looking at the Showtime website there are programs scheduled through at least November 30th. So it appears this is DIRECTV choosing to carry the more popular channel.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV is one of a very few carriers that offered the linear channel and they're trading it for a different one.

There is no evidence that the channel itself is going away.