1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cypherx, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1 of 10
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Been having major signal issues for over a half hour now. Can't really get anything at all. I look outside and it's just a real light snow / rain mix. It's so light though and we've had signals before in worse than this. My visibility is still really good looking outside.

Anything in general I should be checking?

image-1998748629.jpg

2. Feb 8, 2013 #2 of 10
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I understand it is a wet snow, which doesn't take much to block signal. Any way to clean off your dish?

3. Feb 8, 2013 #3 of 10
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Nope can't reach it. We had more snow than this before and never had a problem. I didn't go out to check yet. Looking out front, the neighbors two black HD dish network antennas look clear.

4. Feb 9, 2013 #4 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Sooper Soaker style squirt gun with warm water can clear the snow off of your dish.

5. Feb 9, 2013 #5 of 10
    jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Sounds like an experienced solution.

6. Feb 9, 2013 #6 of 10
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Sounds like a great solution!

Anyway this morning everything works fine. I ended up going to bed but the wife picked a movie from showtime on demand. Thanks to the internet working great she was able to watch it no issues. Which reminds me, if DirecTV's servers have some live streaming channels (as seen on iPad and iPhone)... it would be neat if the DVR could tune into this same feed, as its on the internet.

At one point I did watch some cable Clear QAM. Though not a lot of HD - its whatever comes in unencrypted since I have cable for internet and phone.

Today I left for work (where I am now) and did not have time to look at the face of the dish. However I did see some snow on the arm.

I've had DirecTV since 9/2010. This is the first time that snow could have ever caused a signal issue. We've had more snow than this in the past too. What do you think it was, the way the wind was blowing or the angle? Can't believe it took this long to experience it. Its so rare that I don't think a dish heater would be worth it.

Another thing I thought of is wrap the end of my pole saw in a towel, then fully extend it. I might be able to brush it off with that in the future.

7. Feb 9, 2013 #7 of 10

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Slush on the dish is worse than snow

8. Feb 9, 2013 #8 of 10
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've never had a problem with snow on my dish (and in Wisconsin we get plenty of it). But I did have a problem once with a bad LNB that let water into it because the plastic seal wasn't intact. The first hint of moisture (rain, snow, etc.) and the signal levels would take a dive. When it dried out, up went the signal levels. Perhaps that is your problem.

9. Feb 9, 2013 #9 of 10
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Freezing rain and/or slush and wetter snow can do a number on the signal and not be all that visible from a distance. The warm water thing works great to clear it.

Fortunately for me mine's mounted on a thick wooden post cemented into the back yard for easy access, but the first time this season it went out from inside the house it looked fine. It was only after getting right up to it I could actually see the icy buildup. Unfortunately, this season seems to be record for this problem.

I guess they make heaters for these things, and I'd definitely consider one if my dish were roof-mounted or where I couldn't easily get at it.

10. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    A storm anywhere between the satellites and your dish can interrupt reception. It happens to me occasionally that my dish is fine, the sun is shining, yet I get 771 errors. But the satellites are lower in the sky from Hawaii, so I suppose the signal has more of Earth's atmosphere to traverse and more chance to hit a storm. Maybe this doesn't happen so much there in the 48 contiguous states.