Signal loss on 103 & 99(s)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LSUMeathead, Feb 11, 2019.

1. LSUMeathead

LSUMeathead New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    About a month ago I started losing signal on the SEC Network (ch 611), getting the 771 signal loss error on that channel & a bunch of others. This issue kind of came & went, almost like a weather outage, but it was clear skies. I called DirecTV & after troubleshooting (i.e. having me reset all 5 of my boxes repeatedly) with no success, they offered to have a service rep come out for some obscene fee, plus whatever equipment was required. I declined and I have tried to troubleshoot this myself, but with no success so far.

I have had DirecTV for over 20 years and my current installation & equipment are about 10 years old (give or take a couple receivers that were swapped out, but not upgraded). My setup consists of:
    • A slimline dish with a triple LNB (non-SWM) that is very solidly mounted to the side of my house
      • There is no line of sight issues as there are no trees in the way of the dish
      • The dish has not moved as I climbed up & its so solidly mounted to the house that even if I try to shake it, the dish does not move
    • 4 coax lines that go from the dish into a SWM16 multiswitch
      • The four lines go into the four satellite input ports on the multiswitch
    • 2 coax lines that go from the SWM1 & SWM2 outputs into two 8-Way wide band splitters (SPLIT8MRV)
      • Coax that goes from the splitters to each of my 5 receivers
      • One coax line that goes into my DECA broadband adapter (DECABB1MR0)
    • I have 5 receivers. 4 DVRs & 1 standard HD receiver
      • HR22-100
      • HR21-200
      • HR24-100 (x2)
      • H25-500
    I thought the LNB maybe had gone bad, so I bought a new one. Replaced it, and my signal numbers actually went down. The next step would be to maybe see if the SWM is bad, but since I am getting perfect signals for some of the satellites, I question if that is the issue. Could it be that my dish somehow needs to be realigned, even though, as far as I can tell, it has not moved?

Going through the setup, here are the transponder numbers. You can see that the numbers on 101, 99(ca), & 99(cb) are perfect. I start seeing zeroes on 99(s) & 103 is just a hot mess.

IMG_9650.jpg IMG_9651.jpg IMG_9652.jpg IMG_9653.jpg IMG_9654.jpg IMG_9655.jpg IMG_9656.jpg

Attached Files:

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    99s and 103s are only spotbeams so you will see low or zero signals for many of the transponders. What you see is a loss of the signal from the dish carrying the 103ca and 103cb odd transponders. This is almost certainly a connector/cable issue. Start with the cables from the dish to the SWM16. There are two cables for the 103 signals. Swap them over, see if the problem moves to the 103ca and cb even transponders. If so, that tells you the signal is missing from the cable that's now connected to the 103 evens connector on the multiswitch. Check the connectors at the dish and the multiswitch.If the problem is still on the 103 odds, then there's a problem with the LNB.
    If not, then there's a multiswitch problem.
    By the way, although the 103s signals are typical, you will note the 103s odd transponders are also zero. They are on the same cable from the dish.

LSUMeathead likes this.
  3. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I have an HR44 - It is about 5 yrs old. It performs pretty good. In my opinion. It is not your receivers. It is DIRECTV. Please read around the forums for pixelation issues. Someone just posted about an issue with Showtime East pixelating a lot. Let me tell you it is happening on a lot of the channels. It is NOT your equipment. Some people have stated they are having this issue on their HR54, HR44 and other receivers.
    The 771 signal loss is connected with this issue. I do not know how but it has happened to me intermittently and all my wiring and cables are brand spanking new. I mean how much checking does the customer need to do? DIRECTV technicians are trained for that very purpose. Why do we have to do their job? There would be no need for them. Would there be?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    LSUMeathead likes this.
  4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Car mechanics are trained better then you ! Why you are play (eg fixing) with your car many times instead of giving it to the mechanic?!

5. LSUMeathead

LSUMeathead New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Great point. I have removed the cables from the multiswitch and swapped them around, but never rechecked the signals for a change. I'll check that tonight. I'm honestly hoping it's not a cable issue, or if so, it's just a connector issue, because having to re-run a line of coax would be a huge pain in the ass.

I've already ruled that out because I purchased a brand new LNB & replaced it with near identical results.

That was going to be my next step, but wanted to avoid having to buy a new SWM16 if at all possible. Since I only have the two lines going out into the splitters, couldn't I get away with buying a SWM8?

6. LSUMeathead

LSUMeathead New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Yeah, I only included my hardware to help give context and troubleshoot, but the issue is replicated on all 5 boxes, so I know it's at the dish or multiswitch level. On the channels I'm not getting, there is no pixelation, there's just no signal at all. All the rest of my channels come in perfectly.

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    This has nothing to do with his issue. He clearly by the pictures has an equipment issue

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There are SWM LNBs now that will handle your system without the SWM 16 in the mix.

P Smith and LSUMeathead like this.
  9. LSUMeathead

LSUMeathead New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    I thought about that when I bought the non-SWM replacement LNB, but I was not sure if they were truly interchangable. Ironically the SWM LNBs are cheaper than the non-SWM ones. If it proves to be a cable issue, that would be the best route since I would only need to use one of the four lines that are already run.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You will have better setup and more reliable, if you will install 3D2RB LNBF (support up to 22 tuners and RB sats).

LSUMeathead likes this.
  11. LSUMeathead

LSUMeathead New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Is it compatible with the standard slimline dish I already have? Meaning, am I just swapping out the LNB & I am good to go?

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yep. Change it out, run one coax to a green label splitter and 1 coax to each receiver from there.

13. LSUMeathead

LSUMeathead New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Cool. I already have two 8x green label splitters & I ordered this LNB off Amazon for $16. I'll check the wires while I wait for it to show up & see if I can detect a bad line somewhere.

jimmie57 likes this.
  14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yes, totally

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    don't rush with it - cancel the order

get new one - 3D2RBLN

LSUMeathead likes this.
  16. LSUMeathead

LSUMeathead New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Got it. Cancelled the first order & ordered the right one. Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: Strike that, they could not cancel the order, so I have two LNBs coming. Thanks to Prime, returning it won't be a problem, but this way I get to test them both out & see if there is any difference.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  17. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Sorry, but this particular issue is an equipment problem as I posted. Nothing to do with any DirecTV pixelation issue. For thos of us with lots of pre-SWM experience, this issue was very common with the old frequency stack. Adding multiswitches, splitters etc just complicates the explanation.

compnurd likes this.
  18. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    I have one receiver so I can just get one of these LNB's, select SWM on the receiver and run one wire straight to the HR-24 right? I don't need anything to power it?

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Almost.
    You need a 21 volt Power Inserter in the line / coax to power the SWM LNB.
    Coax from LNB to Power Inserter, coax from PI to the receiver.