1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal loss on 103 odds everything else ok

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kev4Bama, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sep 1, 2013 #1 of 14
    Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Need y'all's expertise again. I got home from the game on Saturday and ESPN was working fine. I turned to ESPNU and is says 771... Signal loss in Sat1. I went to test channels and the same thing happens when I switch to 103 odds. Evens working fine and all other sats working fine. Any ideas. Sat is fine it is same place it has been 4 years with clear view of the sky. All receivers in house are doing it even the one on the legacy port of the Swm -16.

To myself I'm thinking either LNB or Swm has gone haywire but everything else except the 103 odds are working fine. Whole home and all. Any ideas?

2. Sep 1, 2013 #2 of 14
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Sounds like a clear case of a bad 13v/22 KHz cable or connectors to the SWiM-16. Try switching that cable at the input to the -16 with any other to see if the problem moves to another set of transponders. If it does its the cable or connectors on it. If it remains on the same 103 set after switching, then its the LNB or the -16.

3. Sep 1, 2013 #3 of 14
    jrd4849

jrd4849 Mentor

May 24, 2007
    Tennessee
    What HoTat2 said. I had exactly the same problem with a swm8. I swapped the lnb cables around on the swm and the problem went away. Looks like I just had a marginal connection on one. Been ok for a week now and I have my fingers crossed.

4. Sep 1, 2013 #4 of 14
    Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanks Guys, gonna head to the attic and swap LNB cables and see what happens. I know everything is tight up there unless a cable backed itsself off because I torqued all the connections when I put the Swm 16 in two years ago. Problem is I cannot get to the dish as it is about 25' off ground and I only have a. 16' ladder. Could a coax cable just go bad in its own over time? Also pretty mad at Direct right now. I went ahead and called to get an appt just in case I can't fix it knowing I can always cancel and the earliest they said they can come is 11 days, really?!?

Is it possible it could be the Swm 16? I have a spare I could swap with it and see what happens. One thing I noticed is my genie, which is hooked to Swm 1 is saying no signal in sat 2 when I know it is hooked to sat 1. All other receivers are showing correct location as far as sat 1 and sat 2 when the signal loss message comes up.

5. Sep 1, 2013 #5 of 14
    MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    Sounds like what I had going on a few weeks ago. Turned out to be the SWM 16.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Sep 1, 2013 #6 of 14
    Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Okay now this is weird. I just checked and now the 103 odds are working , I didn't touch a thing. ?!?

7. Sep 1, 2013 #7 of 14
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Are any Cable Connectors outside? If so I would open them up and look (for water damage) - No need to take the LNB apart at this time Only look at any outside Rg6 Connections.

8. Sep 1, 2013 #8 of 14
    Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    There lies my problem. It is so high on the roof I don't have a ladder that will reach it. Only connections are where the coax cables from LNB connect to the ones going into the attic to the Swm 16.

9. Sep 1, 2013 #9 of 14
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The I suggest you get a service call and have them looked at - If signal loss comes and goes it may be from (water) When it heats up it clears until the center of the coax burns out (breaks)

10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Put ladder on picnic table and S-T-R-E-T-C-H !!!

We all know how bad we wanna watch TV, most of us would take the risk willingly!

!rolling

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'd swap one of the cables as suggested, from 103 odd to 103 even. Even though the problem went away, it may return later and this way if it returns on 103 odd you know it isn't the cable, if it returns on 103 even you know it is.

Since the problem went away, could it be something that was caused by the heat of the day yesterday, and cooling down overnight "fixed" it? LNB issues can be intermittent with heat, and your SWM16 is in your attic which I would assume probably gets very hot this time of the year.

You could eliminate the SWM16 by connecting your legacy receiver directly to one of the LNB cables next time the problem recurs, using a coax coupler or using the red port on a green label splitter if you don't have a coupler handy. If it still has issues you will know the LNB is to blame. If it works fine connected to the LNB but the issue recurs when it is reconnected to the SWM16's legacy port you know it is the SWM16.

12. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Great idea on the legacy if the problem creeps up again. Won't be a problem I have a box full of blue barrells. I went ahead and got an appt although closest they had was two weeks from now. In the meantime I will do some troubleshooting. I don't think it was the heat of the attic because it was out all night and didn't start working again until it started getting hot again this morning.

13. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    The problems appears to have been the SWM 16 module. The problem reappeared this morning so as suggested earlier I took thecoax 103 odd off the SWM 16 and attached it directly to the one box that I keep on the legacy port and the problem was solved so I knew that it was not the LNB on the dish or the wiring. I had an extra SWM 16 module so I swapped the existing one out with the new SWM 16 and the problem appears to be solved for now. Appears something in the SWM 16 that was going bad.

14. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    So far so good on the issue with the new SWM-16. One on of the channels signal loss was happening on , which must be a 103 odd, ESPNU

Every once in awhile the picture will pixelate or studder. Very sporadic. I can't tell if it is the channel or still a possible issue.