Signal Strength OK? (Oregon)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by telero, Sep 26, 2019.

1. telero

telero New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Pacific...
    Noticed a couple dropouts when it's been raining recently. Have had issues in the past when it's been very heavy rain, but seems to be happening more often in less severe weather.

1-101.jpg
    99ca.jpg
    99cb.jpg
    99s.jpg
    103ca.jpg
    103cb.jpg
    103s.jpg

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Looks like the dish needs realignment ...

As the Ka band at 99(ca, cb) and 103(cb) levels are mediocre and 103(ca) is totally unacceptable ....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Humm ...

Would have thought 103(s) tps. 1-4 would have been removed and reading "N/A" by now ...

As those old local spotbeam tp. slots left over from use by SW1 are never coming back and will be soon converted to national tps. on 103(ca). carried by T15 which is just returning to 103W.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

4. telero

telero New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Pacific...
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions. From my understanding it's a $100 service call for realignment. I've been considering getting an HS17 for the 4K (at least there's one NFL game), which I understand would come with a new LNB (and presumably alignment). Is there an equipment cost for that upgrade, or just a service contract?

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    What equipment do you have now?

6. telero

telero New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Pacific...
    HR44. Only 1 TV, so would like HS17 with 4K client.

7. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You have two choices, the HR54 or the HS17. The HR54 has a 1 TB Hard Drive. It can be connected to a TV. It works with receivers, DVRs and clients. For 4K service it needs a C61K-700 client. The HR54 can be connected to more than one C61K-700 but only works with one 4K stream at once. The HS17 has a 2 TB Hard Drive. It is a headless server and cannot be connected to a TV. It only works with clients. For 4K service it needs a C61K-700 client. The HS17 can be connected to more than one C61K-700 but only works with two 4K streams at once. A upgrade will trigger a new contract. If you have the Protection Plan the upgrade will be free. Subscribing to the Protection entitles you to a free upgrade every two years. When you upgrade to 4K equipment the tech will replace your LNB with a Reverse Band LNB. If your dish needs realignment he will do that when you upgrade.

8. telero

telero New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Pacific...
    I wouldn't want the HR54 since I wouldn't want to pay an extra TV fee for the built-in non-4K output that I wouldn't use.

If you have the protection plan does the equipment/installation trigger a new contract?

Does an equipment/installation upgrade without protection plan have any additional cost? I'm assuming it would definitely come with a contract.

9. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If you have the Protection Plan a upgrade triggers a new 24 month agreement. Without the Protection Plan there will most likely be a charge for the service call and there will be a new 24 month agreement.

10. telero

telero New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Pacific...
    Do you need to have the protection plan for the 2 years to get the equipment upgrade, or just longer than a month?

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    As long as you subscribe to the Protection plan you're entitled to a free upgrade every two years. I believe everything that comes with the Protection Plan kicks in after the first month of coverage. There are three versions of the Protection to choose from...Protection Plan...Protection Plan Premier...Protection Plan Premier + Accidental Damage from Handling.

12. telero

telero New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Pacific...
    Cool, thanks for all the info. I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck, and this does help.

13. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
  14. telero

telero New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Pacific...
    Looks like standard would be best. Should be able to add for a month, get upgrade/install, then cancel the following month? $18 with new 4K equipment vs. $99 for service call with no equipment (alignment only), or whatever the cost would be without the protection plan for new equipment/install.

15. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You'll have to read the current Terms and Conditions of the Protection Plan.

16. telero

telero New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Pacific...
    Looks like you need to have the plan for 12 months before the upgrade part applies. Probably best to call retention and just see if they'll offer the equipment/installation.

17. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The DIRECTV Protection Plan Terms and Conditions change periodically. I believe the last revision was in 2017.

18. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    You are not guaranteed a free upgrade even with the protection plan. I've had it for years and after my last contract ended I was trying to do the 4K upgrade for free and they were wanting to charge me $199 for the HR54 and $99 for the C61K. I played CSR roulette for a few weeks before I finally got the equipment for free.

19. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    "Being enrolled in the Plan for greater than twelve (12) consecutive months also allows you to upgrade your DIRECTV receiver every two (2) years from the initial date of installation of your DIRECTV system or from the date of any prior upgrade received. Your upgrade can range from a single receiver up to a Whole Home HD DVR which may include up to three (3) additional DIRECTV receivers".

20. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yes I know what it says in that agreement and I also know what they tried to charge me for the hardware.