1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal strength-trees

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by heisman6183, May 22, 2011.

1. heisman6183

heisman6183 AllStar

Jun 4, 2008
    I recently moved to a new house with a lot of trees in the backyard. When the installer came he adjusted the dish and checked all the signals and they were pretty good (80s and 90s). Since then, the trees in my backyard have really filled in with leaves and my signal strength has really degraded (mostly 60s and 70s, some 50s) and I'm now getting searching for signal errors sometimes when I watch stuff. I recently removed the extra wires that were coming down from the dish (he replaced the head with a swm but left the 3 extra wires near the dish) but when I checked the signal strength afterwards, it was still very high. Would the trees be the likely culprit or could it be a loose connection?

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Without pictures most people will go with the trees as the reason.

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Trees that are partially blocking can be worse when the leaves are wet. Not only do wet leaves bring the tree down a bit making a different angle, but the water itself can e an issue.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Easy way to tell. Lock on ONE low strength transponder (not the screen with all of them), and watch it. If it drops or significantly changes when the wind gusts, then it is the trees.

5. heisman6183

heisman6183 AllStar

Jun 4, 2008
    I've noticed the last 5 of my SWM transponder data is in the 70s (4 is at 0). I remember these being at 99, all of them, does that sound right and does that indicate a connection problem?

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Normally" the SWM readings are for the loss in the cable from the SWM to the receiver. "Zeros" are from the other tuners on the SWM. If you put every receiver on the SWM screen, there should be no zeros, and then as each receiver exits the setup, it will appear as a zero on the other receivers.

[when normally isn't] If you lose all your TP levels, then the SWM will be zero too [nothing in = nothing out].

7. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    What VOS is saying, is that the SWM screen shows the status of your in-house network, NOT the dish itself. Yes, they are normally 99's with a few 0's. Having 70's here would be unusual.

If you check the pages for 99c, 103ca, and 103cb, you will see your HD dish alignment. These readings should be 80-95.

You may have a properly aligned dish, but with bad wire, a loose connection, or faulty LNB or power supply.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    A couple of points to this:

1. When [from the SWiM] the splitter/cables losses are too great, these numbers start to drop.
    2. If the dish is knocked [badly] out of alignment, these numbers will be zero too.

9. TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    Ok, lets knock it off with the know it all chattering. just tell him it the trees that are the problem.

10. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    TEN89, that's the way to stop the bs. He needs facts not bs.

11. heisman6183

heisman6183 AllStar

Jun 4, 2008
    The main reason I think it's the trees is that's the only thing that has changed since the install. I don't know how to test if it's the connection between the receiver and the dish, besides running a new line which would be a little difficult.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Other than having a couple of "jerks",
    You might look at http://www.dishpointer.com/
    Plug in your address and then pick a SAT. You'll get a line marking the LOS and also get distance & heights. From this you might get a better idea.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    And either of these posts helps how? :confused:

14. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    >The main reason I think it's the trees is that's the only thing that has changed since the install. I don't know how to test if it's the connection between the receiver and the dish

I just told you how to check the dish alignment. 99c, 103ca, and 103cb.

Post all sats if you want.