1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal strengths of different receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dalime, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dalime

dalime Mentor

Jul 25, 2007
    Having problems with dropped audio/video annoyances.
    Was talking to CS who had me test my signal strengths, and on my H20 on Sat 101 I was in the 70's, but on my HR20 on Sat 101 I was in the high 90's.
    Tech support gave me some BS response for this saying this is normal for each receiver to acquire it's own signal and blah, blah, blah.
    All things being the same for both receivers (cables, connections, etc.), could two different recievers really be that far off?
    thanks.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBStalk

What model H20 do you have and what software version do you have? If your receiver has I believe it is 0x14f or something like that the new software has not made it to you yet. The old software does have a problem with reading the signals. It shows about 20% lower then it should show.

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    The H20, right from the start, has always had a lower signal reading. WHich caused much confusion and concern when first released.

Are you having dropped audio/video accross all receivers?

4. dalime

dalime Mentor

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks for that.

H20-600 (0x14f) reading ~75%
    HR20-700S reading 0x17e) ~98%

Having audio drops and pixelation on both receivers, although the HR20 seems to be worse and more frequent. Was watching Law and Order the other night and it kept switching between ProLogic and DD. Really annoying.
    Other thing I should mention is that it mostly happens on HD feeds, particularly networks.
    Also, I'm not running any high def feeds on the H20 yet. Still waiting for a good deal on an LCD. :D
    So that rules out it being on HD only.

5. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Are you using splitters? A switch?

Are all connections tight?

Are any of the cables over 3 years old?

Do you get the same readings on tuner 1 and 2 of the HR20?

Did you follow the Installation Tips?

- Craig

6. dalime

dalime Mentor

Jul 25, 2007
    No switches, connections good (almost), cables good, same reading on tuners 1 & 2.
    DTV tech came out today replaced the grounding block and found that one of the coax connectors to it was crushed. Looked like it had beed run over. Replaced it and everything seems good for now. Only other thing he said was that while the dish has direct line-of-sight, we have a big willow in our front yard and if it's windy it may be blowing in front of the dish. I'll have to wait for a windy day to check that out.
    Thanks for all the replies.

7. rotomike

rotomike Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    The H20 does only get in the 70's for the best signal while the hr20 gets in the 90's. that is normal for what i see on my installs. no problems!

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.