1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal Strengths On Odd Transponders On 101 Satellite

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Meep, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Meep

Meep Cool Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I will try to make this as short as possible.

I have a HR20-700 DVR. Yesterday before the download of the new 0x290 software my readings on the 101 satellite were all above 92 on both tuners. Transponders 18 and 28 were at zero like always. I checked these readings right before the 0x290 was downloaded.

Right after the 0x290 was finished downloading I checked the readings again and found something strange. All the ODD transponder readings were in the upper 70 range while all the EVEN ones are 92+ like before. Again on both tuners. Again transponders 18 and 28 were at zero like always.

All the other satellites are reading the same or even a bit better than before the download.

I checked just about all the channels that are on the ODD transponders from 101 and all seem to be fine.

Is anyone else seeing this? Seems a bit strange.

2. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Do you have any other receivers you can check signals strengths with – what do they report? Also, you don’t have the same issue with 99 (it uses the same signaling for the multiswitch as 101 – 13V and no 22Khz tone)? My advice would be to reset everything, which means disconnecting all sat feeds from all receivers so the dish/multiswitch has no power supply, then reboot all receivers. If you still have a problem after that, then my guess is that the LNB for 101 is going bad (or has a bad connection?) and it was just coincidental with the software download. Actually, the reset could have “exposed” a problem with a weak LNB or connection, too.

3. Meep

Meep Cool Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I do not have another receiver to try. The 99 satellite is fine, all readings are where they were before the download, all 90s.

I will try what you suggested.

4. Meep

Meep Cool Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tried the reset everything route and even removed the cables. Rebooted and checked the signals. The ODD transponders are still reading in the 70s on both tuners just on the 101 satellite. All other readings are awesome.

Not too worried about it right now seeing as I don't watch SD channels anymore and at least for right now they all are still coming in fine.

I thought I read a post somewhere on some forum that a certain version of firmware on some machines, not sure which ones, was causing low readings on some transponders.

Just strange how the readings were all great just minutes before last night's download.

5. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    It could be signs of an LNB failure. I’d keep an eye on it. I doubt it’s a cabling or BBC issue since it does not affect 99.

6. Meep

Meep Cool Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Just checked the signals again at around 3pm and they seem to have come up to the low to mid 80s. Seems like as it has gotten a bit warmer out --- lows this morning were in the 20s here in Dayton ---- the signals have risen a bit.

7. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I think this is the report of temperature-related signal issues in the last day. Ambient temperature or sunlight won’t affect signal strength iself, but it can affect a bad connection or one with water in it as parts contract and expand.

8. Meep

Meep Cool Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Thank you for the info. I will keep a close eye on it.

9. JJ2343

JJ2343 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I thought I was the only one who noticed this. I have the exact same issue. I switched cables around with no change to the odd transponder strength. Very odd since I have an old standard def receiver with strong signals on 101 odd transponders.

10. Meep

Meep Cool Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I have seen a few people post their signal strengths for other issues and they too have lower ODD readings but just on the 101 satellite.

I really think it had something to do with the latest firmware donwload.

11. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I see the same thing. Try this: remove the BBC from 1 input and check the strengths, all the odd readings go back to normal without the BBC inline.

Also only noticed this recently, and only on 101. and in dayton:confused:

12. Meep

Meep Cool Member

Oct 22, 2008

Just tried this and yes without the BBC the signals go back to normal. I also called two friends of mine who live in New Jersey and asked them to do this as well. They are seeing the same thing. I think a lot of people just haven't noticed it because it isn't affecting their channels. All my SD channels still come in fine.

My ODD transponders on the 101 satellite read between 12-15 lower than the even ones. Same with my two friends.

To me the new firmware is causing this.

13. jfm

jfm Legend

Nov 29, 2006
    You should report this in the 0x290 issues thread to make sure D* is aware of this.

14. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Service Tech (actually manager) was her on 10/29 for 771 on single tuner issues. He replaced my HR20 with a new HR22 which, at least for a few days seems to have gotten rid of them, but we saw the same phenomenon with the signal levels of the odd transponders on 101. I told him that I noticed this after the 0290 release on the HR20, he said he had never seen it before and that it had to be a problem somewhere in the system. He spent the better part of 3 hours trying to determine the cause of it with no results. He spent a good bit of time tweeking the dish and was getting nearly perfect readings on both the accutrack and birdog units. At one point, he even made a 100ft cable attached directly from the LNB (which he had already replaced) to the DVR, completely bypassing all of my cabling and connections. Still the same readings.
    Visibly there does not appear to be any LOS issues, but he said he would like to test with a tempory dish placed somwhere else when he gets time to come back...

15. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Well, I noticed a similar problem with my HR21 the other day, when I was just checking my signal strengths for the heck of it. I started a thread in the installation forum asking what could be causing it, and a couple people there felt it was the lnb going bad, since it's isolated to the 101. I was about to order an lnb(which I may do anyway, to have a spare), and I found this thread after doing a search,and I also tried removing the BBC and I got the same result......odd transponders went up 7-10 points across the board. Did it with both tuners with obviously the same results. I have the same firmware upgrade you are talking about also, so it will be interesting to see if more people start noticing this. I have to assume that if the firmware upgrade is somehow causing this, that it is affecting how the tuner reads the signal and displays it, rather than the actual signal being that much weaker......anyone agree/disagree?

16. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    So, no one else is noticing this, or has any thoughts?:)

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I believe that somehow the software download is causing false readings regarding the 101 signal reception. Could be that a table is screwed up accidentally.

18. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Has anyone else noticed this same thing? I made a post in both the 0x0290 and 0x029b issue threads, but haven't seen anyone else mention this. It's obviously the firmware, if it started right after.

19. ub1934

ub1934 Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    UpState NY
    I have , see my past posts from 10/24/08 under DTV & PP

20. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, there has been other discussion that the National Release of the latest software has caused false readings or problems such as yours. The latest download Friday night or early Saturday morning should fix that problem.

See the sticky about this new release or patch.