1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signal testing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by texasbrit, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I've seen a couple of posts about this message before but nothing quite the same.
    On my HR20-100 I went to check my signal strengths and got the message " The process you have requested conflicts with the following scheduled events: Signal Testing" so I decided not to interrupt. I exited and continued to watch the channel I had been on.
    Later I went back to check signal strength and discovered none of my signal meters would get a reading. All available transponders on every satellite stayed showing the -- , not zero. When I looked at an individual transponder I got the "not acquired" message for both tuners, even though both tuners continued to receive the selected channels fine when I exited from test. I didn't have time to investigate so I exited.
    The HR20 has continued to record correctly for the last two days, no problems. So today I go to check the signal strength and get the message "The process you have requested conflicts with the following scheduled events" and then a blank line - no scheduled event, not even "signal testing". When I decided to interrupt, I was returned to the menu with " check signal strength" again, and if I selected that, back to the "conflict" message. I exited completely from the setup menu, came in again and selected to check signal strength. This time I did not get the "conflict" message, but got all available transponders with -- again.
    I decided to do a reset and that cleared the problem - this is the first unscheduled reset I have done on my HR20-100 since I received it in June. And everything else was still working, it was just the signal strength metering that stopped working.

Does anyone know exactly what the "signal testing" event is??

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Ah yes, that software bug.
    We had it with the -700 a while back.
    Reset time and wait for this week's CE.

3. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    We're you watching live TV when that happened? Was there anything scheduled to record?

There is some type of check for conflicts that the software does when you go into the signal strengths mode (since it potentially needs access to all sat's and tp's). It can get in a state where it's confused about the DVR's current status. There's probably a lot of things it considers before allowing you to enter that menu. Once it gets headed down a track that it should never have gone down to begin with, other things start not working correctly.

I know we're trying not to do soft restarts as part of the CE process, but there is something to be said for doing one on a regular basis to clear out erroneous flags that get set if you're not actually involved in finding those software errors. I think I recently saw a whole thread devoted to this subject. Obviously, based on VOS's comment, you're not the first to stumble upon this. I would almost say that if you get one of these tuner conflict messages which is erroneous, you might as well figure it's probably time for a soft restart.

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This showed up before the new HD channels with the -700.
    It has since been resolved, but the -100 is lagging behind in software.

5. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    That's good. I still think it's expecting a lot to think you're never going to have to reboot these receivers occasionally.. I just wish D* CSR's would quit telling people to "push the red button behind the door." It would be a lot better if you could just make it do a soft shutdown by holding the power button down. Then re-start from the power button. It would save a lot of HD wear, too, for those who don't care about not walking in on a live buffer 24/7. They would need to figure out how to make it not necessary to reacquire the satellite data every time you turned it on.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    CSRs seem to be still working with receivers and not recorders. For what they get paid most don't even have the hardware customers are calling in about.
    The "soft shutdown" is a great idea but would take new hardware so....

7. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    That's true. I wonder, though, where in the hardware/software interface the "Standby" mode is accomplished, and, therefore, if it could not be modified to receive more than one button push. Once for "standby," followed immediately by once more for "shutdown," to recover to "on" from either state after x seconds.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    From what we know so far "standby" doesn't do much more than turn off the outputs and the front panel lights.
    To get it to turn off like a PC would require a bit more and I'm not sure the power supply design can do it.

9. TaeOh

TaeOh AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    This is not resolved in the National release...correct?

Because this exact thing happened this week on my HR20-700. I stopped using CE's a couple weeks ago and reverted to the national release.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm still on CEs with my -700 and haven't had the problem for a few weeks.
    I don't know what the NR is doing, but both the -100 & -700 are far enough behind to still have the problem in the NR [is my guess].

11. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    I just got my receiver...should this bug have been fixed by now? And what is the signal test the message purports to be doing anyway?

i just came out of my own signal test and now it says available tuners are recording..nothing is recording

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What version of software?
    Go into the setup menu and do a reset/restart recorder. That will "cure" what you have now.

13. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    18a Yes it does cure it but it's annoying every time i want to check the signal that i have to then reboot. Plus i didnt have the issue the 1st week of ownership.

14. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I still have the issue with the 700 as well

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    01B4 seems to be rolling out so that may fix it for you.

16. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I hope it does along with the recordings stopping a minute to early in some cases.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not sure if that was addressed. [but you can still hope]

18. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    i left the house this morning with a blank screen (after getting the signal test error described above). In theory it was locked up recording 2 things. Well reality was it wasnt. however, my 9am recording did record ok so the blank screen must have eventually went away and stuff start recording again. Just a shame to have to reboot now every time i do a signal test.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    How many times do you need to do a signal test?

20. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    you asked

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=104619

take a close look at all my readings (most recent post at bottom of course)

No one has provided me a definitive answer on why the 110 tuner 2 acts like that and the 99 and 103a have weird stuff going on as well. Even after swapping cables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.