Silent UPS Advice

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Geronimo, Feb 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I may be in the market fora new UPS for a Hopper with Sling. My areas has frequent blackouts usually short but sometimes for longer periods. MY experience with Belkin, CyberPower and APC is that they all come equipped with an audible alarm There is usually a software method of disabling the alarms but I find that if the unit is discharged it loses the setting. In some cases even a low power state makes the unit sound the alarm in spite of the setting.

I have asked this before in other forums and I am usually told either that the behavior I described does not exist or that all I need to do is "Snip the wire to the speaker" but in most cases the alarm comes from a diode on the board not a speaker.

Is anyone familiar with a good UPS that has no alarm. has hardware switch, or has software that is somewhat more dependable?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have an APC BR1500G that has a button on the front panel.

Might be a bit overkill for what you want by your entertainment center though.

3. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    It looks like I was not as clear as i should have been. Ideally I am looking for a unit that will allow me to switch off the alarm permanently. It looks like this one allows you to shut it off during each outage but has no permanent off setting.

4. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    It has been a long time since I logged into my APC BACK-UPS XS 1500, but I am pretty sure that is an option that can be selected.

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    At least with APC UPSes I've never seen one that didn't have a small speaker you can could snip. I've done that with a half dozen of them over the years.

7. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Thank you for the suggestions.

8. SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    My apc 1500 has a button to turn it off permanently. I have 3 of them running my entertainment center and network.

9. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I have two APC and two Tripplite UPSs and this thread reminded me that I need to open them up and remove the alarms. I know when the power goes off and don't need an alarm to tell me. I get several outages every winter (usually branches falling on wires) and am sick and tired of it all. Fortunately this winter the outages haven't been too long and my pressure tank has kept the water running more or less (when the power goes out, don't flush!) and the inside of the house hasn't cooled off too much.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would be install additional small switch or push type instead of snipping wires ... I guess not everyone is willing to buy the switch and would drill small hole to install it ;)
    Too much perhaps for those who have wire cutters :p