1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly Question... Sorry

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tjboyd, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjboyd

tjboyd Legend

Oct 5, 2006
    Is there a way with the HR20 for CC to come on when the "mute' is pressed on the remote?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Not that I am aware of.

However, that is a good idea though

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Not that I am aware, but that would be a very cool feature!

Edit: Earl beats me again! I'll get you next time gadget!

4. wtrax

wtrax AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    How would it know if your are going into mute or out of mute? Also some TV's have 1/2 mute. I have seen that feature somewhere before.

5. tjboyd

tjboyd Legend

Oct 5, 2006
    Thanks for the quick responses!

6. BuckeyeNut

BuckeyeNut Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    I only know of Toshiba doing the half mute.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think that it has been discussed that the MUTE button actually works the TV mute and not the HR20. There would be no guarantee that things are muted properly since the TV does not communicate back to the HR20. Also, since IR/RF don't work simultaneously, a MUTE press would have to do both.

This would be nice, but I don't see a good way to make it happen - now if press and hold MUTE could do it ...

8. DblD_Indy

DblD_Indy Godfather

Dec 3, 2006
    Hitachi has it and I love it!

9. iacas

iacas DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Except, as discussed in other threads, if D* does it the way they've done the other press-and-hold functions, both the primary (mute the TV, unmute the TV) and secondary (turn CC on or off) would both activate. It could lead to a very frustrating situation where you keep getting the opposite of one of the two settings that you'd like (or require an extra quick button press at least).

10. mgcsooner

mgcsooner Legend

Dec 18, 2004
    Have that feature on one of my TV's, and always remembered how kewel it was when the phone rang, and caller ID shows up on screen, we'd mute and the other party could still follow along with the show reading the CC.

11. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    My Sharp TV shows CC from my R15 when the TV is muted.

I didn't tell it to do it, so I don't really know why it does, but if you mute the TV, it starts showing the captions from the R15.

I don't know if it would do it from the HR20 or not, wrong room.

12. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Most TV's have this function.You need to access your TV Menu to set it up.:)

13. jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    If I am not mistaken, the TV can't process the CC info if it's plugged in via HDMI. Is this correct?

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That is correct. There is an item on Doug Brott's survey about making CC come up with one button push. It seems like the survey's being taken seriously, so...

15. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Doesn't work, and I miss that feature. My Mitsubishi does it from other sources, but not from the HR20. It was a nice feature for mumbling British actors on the screen while the kids are running amok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.