1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Since upgrade is the dvr dampening HD sound more ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dcowboy7, Oct 22, 2008.

1. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    is the dvr dampening the HD sound moreso than before the upgrade ?

for example i would always put the tv on sound level=22 for mike & mike on espn2 and it would be ok...now i have to go to 32.

i had dvrd star wars the clone wars and i watched it yesterday before the upgrade & i know i had it on 26.....i tried it today and had to put it all they way to 35 to get to the same volume level.

its like this on both tvs so its not the tv setting....something definately changed !!

the spaciality of the sound area isnt as good as before as well on the HDs.

ps....people at satguys have posted the same kinda comments so its not just me.

2. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I watched a recording of Pushing Daisies last night and I had to turn the volume up a bit higher than normal. Interesting.

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Sound issues are getting to be more and more pronounced and I am not sure where to point the finger.

Last nights Fox Network programming was so soft that I had to run my volume control which is normally at 28, at nearly 40 to hear the program. Assuming that DirecTV passes along what it gets, my question is was it the Network or the local affiliate?

Commercials have gotten completely out of control and DirecTV's are among the worst. If I am watching live tv I automatically hit mute the minute the commercial break starts.

4. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    ps....people at satguys have posted the same kinda comments so its not just me.

5. Chevy-SS

Chevy-SS Mentor

May 11, 2008
    YES, YES - I had to turn my volume slider WAY up after the new update! I have HR22-100 and Sammy 52" LCD and I had to increase from #26 to #40 on volume slider to achieve similar decibel levels. Very weird............

-

6. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Are you sure that's not age? :p

7. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I have noticed that the last couple of months, I have had to turn the volume up 5 to 7 dB on my receiver to make the HR21 and HR20 seem the same volume level on teh same channel. The HR21 was on a slightly different version of the software up till now so maybe something has changed.

8. mrowl

mrowl Cool Member

Aug 30, 2007
    noticed the same thing watching CNN last night. usually listen at around 8, but had to turn it up to 13

9. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    *SLAP*

Certain parts of my anatomy dont work as well as they used to... My ears aren't one of them:nono2::D:sure:

10. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    My receiver upgraded to 0x290 last night (10:53 p.m.) while I was watching TV. It took about 20 minutes. Previously, any upgrades have occurred in the wee hours of the morning.

Anyway, the upgrade played havoc with many of my settings (screen format, audio, even the source setting on my plasma). Immediately, the volume level on my HD channels went way down, while the volume level on the SD channels went way up. This is completely opposite from the way the volume levels normally work. I've done everything I can to fix the problem, but have had no success. I'm getting ready to address this issue in the "0x290 Issues" thread.

Edit: By the way, when I got home from work last night, about 10:15 p.m., my HR21-700 was locked up. I did a RBR, which got it back into operation. About 10 minutes later, the message came on my TV screen stating that the software upgrade was about to begin. I'm guessing D* had tried to send the upgrade earlier in the evening, and that is what caused the receiver to lock up.

11. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    My, what big ears you have… :)

Seriously, I have noticed difference among channels. For example, CBS seems to be very loud compared to NBC, but sometimes when the local CBS affiliate runs an SD commercial, it gets very quiet compared to the show (not that I’m complaining about that!). I noticed that some national channels like TLC and A&E have to be turned up louder than NBC. Oh, and media share – it always has to be turned down, especially anything on YouTube via PlayOn.

12. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I had an HR20 and purchased a new HR22. While they were on different software versions, the HR22 was much louder than the HR20. Once I downloaded 290 as a CE this past weekend for both, they were now both at the same volume the HR20 had been all along.

SMK

13. capegator

capegator Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    Nothing new to me regarding Fox Network HD audio on Tuesday night - particularly House. Since last year the audio on House always drops off compared to the commercials. I've developed the "one hand constantly on the remote" strategy to modulate the audio extremes. :D

14. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    How do people know that the commercials are louder?

15. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Me too - I was watching Today this morning and had to turn the sound way up (WCAU-DT via HR20-700 satellite).

I woke the neighbors when the first VERY NOISY commercial came on at 7:23AM.

Yes - something is wrong here.

16. LVKeith

LVKeith Mentor

Nov 12, 2007
    I posted in the issues thread that after the update to sound level was much lower on all HD channels than before. I am NOT happy with this update, nor the way it was handled at all.

Keith

17. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    wow this new low volume on the HD channels is really annoying....i have a show on at volume=45....ive never been beyond 35....then an SD channel is too loud for 45 so i have to lower it....this is gonna be a real pain.

18. rustynails

rustynails Godfather

Apr 24, 2008
    I agree with you 100%. I want my sound back and they can have their DirecTV2PC back. This is not a good trade off.

19. Sneezy

Sneezy AllStar

Dec 18, 2006
    Wow was it bad tonight on Knight Rider. I switched over to CBS and it was just as bad. WTTF :nono2:

At first I thought it was me but then I come here and whadda ya know, it ain't me.

I went on vacation for a week and get home and both receivers were on from an update :confused: .

This crap gets old fast.

20. Achilles

Achilles Mentor

Apr 22, 2008
    Came home from work, DVR was DOA. Had to reset with red button. Afterward, I was prompted to do an update so I went ahead and did it. It restarted itself after it was complete.

Now, I have to really turn up my volume on all my HD channels. I usually keep it around 14-15 and that is plenty loud. Never went above 16. Since the SW update, I have to turn it up to 28 just to reach the volume that was previously set at 14. I thought it was my TV. Glad I'm not the only one having this problem.

What's going on with this??? Does DTV know about this bug?