Sinclair expects Dish to reach agreement with Disney, pick up Fox regional sports networks again

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dennispap, Aug 7, 2019.

1. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
  2. fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    I sure wish i could put my thoughts into words - Oh well JUST FIX IT...

3. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Since pro football is not on the affected RSN's this statement makes no sense. We're missing the current BASEBALL season.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    College football, it's more popular than pro.

5. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Something tells me that is Sinclair hinting to Dish to accept a separate deal with Disney while they have the opportunity otherwise the Fox RSNs maybe included in a future Dish/Sinclair retransmission negotiation if the dispute lasts that long.

6. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Correct. Of the "big 4" pro sports, football's presence on RSNs is trivial. A couple of teams have some pre-season games and most have a half hour wraparound show. That is it. Zero meaningful NFL games on RSNs. Meanwhile, most EVERY MLB, NBA, and NHL game is on the local RSN.

Actually, it isn't, but anyway, the MAJOR college football on RSNs is likewise almost as trivial. Of the "Power 5" leagues the ACC sub-leases 17 games to RSNs, all of which also show up on ESPN+ internet. The Big 10, Pac 12, and SEC have no games on RSNs. In the Big 12, each team gets to keep one game to sell on its own. Texas' is on its Longhorn Network. Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State 's games are on ESPN+, as will West Virginia (which is on AT&T Pittsburgh), Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Texas Christian's starting in 2020, as they have one more year on their local RSNs to work off their contracts. Oklahoma has one game on FSN Oklahoma.

So of the Power 5 leagues, RSNs have a total of 22 games all year. Next year it will be 18.

In the mid-major "Group of 5" The American, Conference USA, and the Mid-American, have no games on RSNs. The Sun Belt has five, and the Mountain West RSN has 10 , on AT&T Rocky Mountain. Of the independents, Notre Dame is on NBC, obviously; New Mexico State is on the internet; UMass is on NESN and/or the internet; BYU is on its own religious channel or the ESPNs; Army is on the CBSs. Leaving Liberty, which is on RSNs, but also ESPN+.

The vast majority of football on RSNs is from the FCS, formerly and better known as Division I-AA, and locally produced small college games.

The deal is about MLB, NBA and NHL.