Single output vs dual-output lnbs

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by interd0g, Nov 8, 2009.

1. interd0g

interd0g Mentor

Jun 2, 2007
    Anyone know if a single output lnb gives a better signal than the usual dual output?
    It would seem to me that a dual is in some way sharing the available goods between two receivers and so must give a loss?
    In my case I don't ever want to run two receivers on the network, so the spare output just gathers dust.

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    You need to do some research about the terms you are asking about.

Single LNB looks at 1 satellite and feeds 1 receiver

Dual LNB still looks at one satellite but can feed that signal to 2 receivers.or 2 tuners or a multiswitch.

TWIN LNB Looks at 2 satellite locations and has a built in switch so a receiver can look at either satellite. Can be a Legacy or a Dish Pro or a Dish Pro Plus.

3. interd0g

interd0g Mentor

Jun 2, 2007
    Like I said , a single lnb - one output for one rx, one satallite

4. spaceman1202

spaceman1202 New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Hmm. I'd like the know the answer to this too :)
    [​IMG]

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    It depends on the usage of the LNB for interd0g a Twin LNB is probably what he wants but dosen't know it. He hasn't done his research on what he is asking about.:lol:

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If all you want is the 61.5 satellite on a 211 receiver a single LNB could be all you need but if you had a 222 and wanted 61.5 a single LNB wouldn't work you would need a DUAL LNB.:lol:

7. DishSubLA

DishSubLA Legend

Apr 9, 2006
    OP, you aren't making sense. Dish and others design their systems to provide optimal performance for multi-STB or "network" systems by compensating for any notion of "loss" with equipment and technology that provides performance the same as if using only a single output or STB.

Dish is well aware of potential problems and they use a lot of technology in the Dish home systems that allows for multi-satellite and multi-box installs that can actually OUTperform a "single" system such as you only like to have. As stated, you do need to do your research because you are tilting at windmills. For example, an internal switch at the LNBF (DishPro) or external switch can actually boost or amplify the signal providing you with higher signal strength as opposed to a using just a legacy single LNBF.