1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Six days for a dtv tech to visit home !?!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mopzo, May 26, 2010.

1. mopzo

mopzo Legend

Jun 15, 2007
    Searching for satellite on all three DVRs. Of course this happens when I'm not home. Wife calls tech support. DTV determines that it is a dish problem.

The earliest a tech can arrive is Tuesday the 1st. She's fuming and calls me, now I'm fuming. I call customer service. They echo the samething. I ask for a supervisor, samething. All booked with installs. No techs available. I'm a ten year customer full package and NFLST. Doesn't matter to DTV. They can't re-schedule an install? No. All they can do is issue a credit.

To make matters worse I suggest she try the RBR. Now from being able to watch the OTA's she can watch nothing. DVR's cannot find satellites.

System totally useless. Can't even watch recordings.
    Cox Cable will be installing my cable system tomorrow.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Why Cox and not Fios, since you already have their internet?

3. ben4715

ben4715 AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    I'd be fuming if DTV called me and said "Hey, we need to reschedule your install because somebody else thinks that they're more important than you. Sorry." Some areas are way more behind than six days.

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Unfortunately, as with any service provider, Cox included, service calls can't always be scheduled within 24 hours and it all depends on the company's backlog of calls. You'll soon discover with Cox that you may have to wait extended periods of time for a service call also.

As for bumping someone else, why should you take priority? How do you know how long any of those customers you want to bump have been customers or how long they have been waiting for their service call? I think you're being totally unrealistic in your demands.

Enjoy Cox - I gladly left them because of service problems and constantly having to reschedule service calls at least a week out for the same problem that was with their equipment, but they insisted I be at home..... Cox is evil. :)

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    It's sad that new installs take priority over an existing customer.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    First come, first serve. It's funny people think that they come before others in something like this. If all techs are booked, oh well. Call an independent installer.

7. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    Exactly...why Cox when you already have FIOS. I have family in Hampton Roads. good luck thinking Cox will always be more responsive than 6 days. My sister has had to wait 2 weeks for appointments with Cox HR.

Edit: HR = Hampton Roads not Human Resources :)

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It happens. My inlaws had a problem with Dish where they weren't getting a signal and were told it'd take 2 weeks to get a tech. The closest installer company was in Kentucky apparently, they're about an hour north of Columbus Ohio.

9. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    Did you try complaining about it on a message board? Oh wait... :D

ps: when I ordered MRV, they showed up the next day.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    This is obviously a local issue, as most areas aren't this busy, but DirecTV has been swamped with MRV upgrades the last couple of weeks.

If you log into your DirecTV account, if other jobs cancel, you can often get your appointment moved up...

11. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    Don't be unreasonable, I work in the service industry and it is amazing how everyone "NEEDS" someone out RIGHT NOW. Yes I think some of DTV's policy is total BS but if they are backed up they are backed up. It's not like they told you a month here. My air conditioner went out early this week and my service company can't make it till this Sat. We have been having some pretty hot days here in Minneapolis. Sure I asked them if they could come sooner but they were just booked up. Did I sit there and complain? Nope. Service company's are NOT the fire department yet for some reason everyone seems to think so. Obviously everyone wants service as soon as possible but when you sit there and cry about it then other customers need to get re-shed all because your can't have tv for a few days. Do I think asking for a credit is out of line? Absolutely not, you shouldn't have to pay for something that is not working.

Tech's work long days as it is and it's because of people like you that they have to. In my industry we take advantage of people like you. DTV might not be able to since they are so big and have set pricing/structure. If our company has to move a bunch of service calls around because some whinny baby needs someone out right this second, we certainly will accommodate them so we don't lose the call but we take advantage of it.

If you want someone out so bad, I suggest you call a local retailer or technician and pay them extra since your so much more important than everyone else.

I understand you are a top paying customer and it sucks you have to wait a week but really it's not the end of the world. I'm sure DTV will ship you a credit for it. My company certainly will make priority for our top paying customers but DTV is so big I'm sure they view everyone as the same. Sometimes a service company is just so busy that no one is available for a while, that is just how it is.

12. Directvlover

Directvlover Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    If it's Cox you're switching to, you'll be back. I was lured to Cox by a killer 6 month promotion back last October. So i put my DTV account on hold to try them out and save some money. A month and a half into it, i dropped them and switched back to Directv. I got no problem with their service. PQ was fine...even though DTV looks a bit crisper. You wanna know what really made me cancel....their sucky DVR. Seriously it's unacceptable. It's got like a 120gb hard drive in it. You could barely have a reasonable amount of HD shows on it without it deleting them to make room for more. Plus you can't network them, and just when you think you can add additional storage to it with the E-sata port on the back. YOU CAN'T because Cox doesn't have that port activated. Trust me man. Wait it out with DTV..you'll be sorry.

13. Talos4

Talos4 Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    I'm also in the service end of our company.
    We're commercial (flat) roofing we don't do residential. We have nearly a dozen service crews.

We have established guidelines of who takes priority when it comes to service.

IF the water is leaking onto electrical switch gear, Servers, Molten metal furnaces, or food prep areas or is a life safety issue, you go to the head of the line.

If not, Wait your turn. In a single rain day we can pile up 60-70 leak calls. We have to qualify and re-qualify each one.

You call and say that the leak in the hallway outside of the mens room is really bad and it needs to be fixed right away, Mr. X calls and say's water is leaking into his 115Kv switchgear.

Who comes first?

We have had our customers who said not good enough and gone elsewhere. It happens, what also happens, most of the time the customer understands we just had an inch of rain today and we're backed up.

I had my heat quit when it was 20 below zero. I became a priority that night. My AC died last summer, it took 9 days to get someone out. I can live without AC, hard to keep warm when it's -20.

I can also live without TV for a few days (and have), as long as the power is on in the house to keep the beer cold!

14. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    If the OP insists on switching providers, the smartest thing they could do is suspend their account with DirecTV until they're sure they want to stay with Cox. If they decide to come back without suspending their account they won't be returning as a new customer and wouldn't be subject to new customer deals.

But, at this point they're probably not watching this thread anymore....

15. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    I had an MRV install done on Monday...there were tons of open slots available to schedule a new install. Remember, new install means commitments and that means $$$$. You're an existing customer, yes, but who's to say the new customer isn't going to be just as good as you? BTW, I am having to wait an unspecified amount of time for a tech to come out and properly aim my new dish, as the first tech didn't have his meter properly setup!!!

16. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    Does this apply to those with the protection plan? I understand schedules and all that, but I don't understand priority to new installs and even MRV over people who pay for the protection plan.

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    +1

In this case a FORMER customer apparently. :(

18. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Prioritizing calls is the way to do it. But in the case of DirecTV, there is probably very rarely a safety issue, so prioritization becomes more difficult.

While it is unfair and poor customer service to bump scheduled customers for an unexpected service call, it is also unfair to force existing customers with problems to wait in line behind new installs. The right way to do it is to allocate a certain amount of tech capacity for new installs, and reserve capacity for unscheduled service calls.

DirecTV has been in business long enough that they should be able to pretty closely anticipate how much capacity to reserve for unscheduled service calls during routine times (e.g., not after a storm). The fact that a customer has to wait six days either means DirecTV is too amaturish to figure it out, or they have decided that six days is an appropriate amount of time to wait for service.

19. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    It's first come first serve. I'd be pissed if I got a call back from DIRECTV saying - Sorry a guy near you has the protection plan so we're going to bump you out 6 more days. None of this from no service to MRV install stuff is life threatening. I can't believe the OP is switching service providers over this. :rolleyes:

20. bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch AllStar

Oct 31, 2009
    In my case, if it was going to take me 6 days for a tech to come out, I'd get up there and try adjusting it myself. Get a cell phone and adjust the signals on your dish while someone looks at the screen to see when the signals bounce back up while you adjust your dish. I've done it before.