Skipping commercials - any tricks?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tkrandall, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I have a new HDVR2. Other than using the 3 fast forward speeds, are there other/better ways to skip over commercials?

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    While playing back a recording, press Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select. This will change the "move to next tick" function to a 30 second skip.

3. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    tkrandall,

What Mark described is called an Easter Egg feature. This means that it isn't activated by default. Technically, broadcasters don't like you skipping past commercials. A lawsuit was filed against Replay TV for having that feature and advertising it. TiVo decided not to advertise it. However, they do allow activation of this feature.

In saying all this, remember this process as you will have to repeat it anytime the receiver is reset, whether it is on purpose, due to a TiVo software upgrade or update, or due to a power failure. Also, this easter egg is not guaranteed to be in future versions of the TiVo software.

Congrats on your purchase of the HDVR2. Hopefully, your receiver has already downloaded the latest patch to avoid dropouts. You will know if it has by selecting Messages/Setup and Selecting System Information. For the receiver model number, it will display HDVR3 (why? I'm not sure--probably an oversight of the programmers). As to the commercial skip, you will enjoy the function. I sure do. Welcome to the world of TiVo addicts...I mean supporters. :D

4. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Thanks - what do you mean by "move to next tick function", i.e. which button is that?

5. jimisham

jimisham Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    I tried that and occasionally would find myself 30 seconds into the program I was watching because I had done one too many 'ticks'.
    I finally determined what worked best for me was to use the second of the fast forwards and as soon as I saw the program I was watching come up, hit play and (if I remember rightly, when you do this it goes back 8 seconds), it'll start playing just as the program starts again.
    Once in a while I'll screw up, but most of the time it works for me.

6. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    Just a comment - I assumed the TIVO had this feature. Just another reason the UltimateTV is such a good unit even though the quit making it. It has a 30 second skip button (actually only 29 sec to give you a sec to look for the start of a commercial or program) and a 7 second back button to use if you go to far.

MS finally had a great product and no one cared.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Ric,

Like others have said, other companies have been sued for having the 30 second commercial skip feature. Tivo DOES have this feature and it's easy to activate, they just don't advertise it so they don't get sued as well.

By the way, I think UTV was a good product too and I thought they sold rather well. Microsoft just chose to kill it. Not a fault of the product, just MS decided they didn't want to make it anymore and wanted to roll the technology into the next generation X-Box so they can have that "all in one" media box they've wanted for long time to be your "portal" to all your entertainment.

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    (Checking manual... quite handy... if you lost yours, there is a PDF version at DirecTV)

If you pre-recorded a program or a movie, you notice that on the green bar, there are "tick" marks at fifteen minute intervals. By default, if you press the Advance button, it will skip forward to the next tick mark. I rarely see how that is useful.

By activating the easter egg, it changes the function of the advance button from next tick mark to a 30-second skip forward button. If you overshoot, you can just back up by clicking on the Instant Replay button. Some people just fast-forward through the commercials, and when you press Play, the Tivo will automaticaaly back up a few seconds. It's personal preference. After all, it's not videotape.

The skip-to-tick mark function is still there with the easter egg activated. Just press FF, then advance.

I have found only one bug with the 30-second skip. If you are at the end of a recording and press the 30-second skip, it skips back to the beginning of the program.

9. Dec 3, 2003 #9 of 31
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Thanks everyone.

Once it is set to 30 second skip (worked for me), is there a way to re-set it to the factory setting again?

10. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Yes, the same way that you activated it. It is a toggle.

11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Another helpful trick in the now playing menu: Slow-0-Record-ThumbsUp.

12. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Nobody has been sued for having a 30-second skip. SonicBlue was sued because of the commercial skip function in ReplayTV that automatically skips an entire block of commercials.

Dennis

13. valand_krisban

valand_krisban AllStar

Oct 22, 2003
    Now that I sold my 2 ReplayTVs and purchased 2 DirecTivos, I really miss that auto skip feature, although the 30 sec skip Tivo easter egg is better then nothing.

14. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Same thing. It was effectively a 30 second skip to skip a 30 second block of commercials.

Doesn't really matter at this point anyway.

15. mkxanth

mkxanth New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Actually its not the same thing. ReplayTv has always had a 30 second skip button. The 4x00 series also had a commercial skip feature that would detect commercials and skip over all of them. So if there were 6 commercials then the ReplayTv would skip over all of them without you having to press any buttons.

16. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    To clarify -

If you do NOT have the 30 sec skip activated and you press the skip button while the program is playing at normal speed, it will jump to the end of the recording. If you are using FF at any speed, it will jump to the tick marks going forward; if you're using REW at any speed, it will go to the next tick mark in reverse.

If you DO have the 30 sec skip activated, the jump-to-end won't work. It will instead skip ahead 30 sec. for each button press. The FF/REW-to-tick function still works normally.

This is not a bug, it's another shortcut. It is designed to work like this. It allows a quick restart of the program you just watched without having to REW to the beginning, use the REW/tick mark combo or go through the menus to restart the program.

17. Scalper

Scalper Cool Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Remember if your Tivo restart(Software update, loss of power ect.) It will go back to default(skip to next tick mark) In fact all the hidden things you turned on will go back to default.

18. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    What other "hidden things" are there?

19. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    To get a small on-screen clock with an elapsed-time reading during playback of recorded shows, play a recording and enter the code SELECT - PLAY - SELECT - 9 - SELECT

To sort your Now Playing list alphabetically, by recording date or by expiration date, go to the NP list and enter the code SLOW - 0 (zero number button) - RECORD - THUMBS UP (or S0RT for short)

20. Scalper

Scalper Cool Member

Feb 14, 2003
    One more I know and is good when you record sports and don't want to know when it ends when you FF the commercials.

Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select
    will toggle the green bar off very quickly

Forgot to add you need to do this while playing back or in live TV I belive. You should hear 3 dings after you enter it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.