1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Angel Adds Mainstream Channels, Promotes Family Tier

Discussion in 'Sky Angel (Closed Forum)' started by Chris Blount, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Sky Angel, the Christian-oriented satellite TV service from Dominion Video Satellite, took its effort to deliver family-friendly programming up a notch, adding key programmers to its lineup.

The satellite TV service said Thursday it added Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movie Channel and Fox News Channel, and soon will be adding Scripps Networks' HGTV (Home and Garden Television) to its 36-channel roster. Sky Angel said viewer demand motivated the satellite TV operator to enhance its system of faith-based channels to include mainstream news and family-oriented entertainment networks.

In addition to the new nets, Sky Angel is promoting its monthly subscription fee of under $15 for 36 TV and radio channels.

Sky Angel has licenses for DBS capacity at 61.5 degrees, where it delivers service via an EchoStar satellite. Dominion got its high-power DBS license in 1981 and is the sole surviving DBS pioneer from that first round of applicants.

Sky Angel is at this week's Satellite Expo in Memphis, in booth No. 27.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

2. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Under $15? I thought their package was only $12? Looks like we have seen an increase in price as a result of the channel additions. It seems like they are trying to attract those that may already have a subscription to a basic package and for those that are looking for a cheap affordable package.

3. jegrant

jegrant Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    I think even at $14.99 ("under $15") it could be positioned as competitive to "lifeline" cable packages, for those who either don't have OTA reception or don't care for what is available OTA. The only other competitor in this space is USDTV, and their service might work better along the west coast, due to the look angle to 61.5, but SA will have the advantage of being able to claim virtually nationwide coverage.

4. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Lifeline has local channels. It would end up being $21 with the locals (or $26 if they consider SkyAngel not a basic service which would cause the $5 access fee).

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If only that were true ... adding to

In reality: "soon will be replacing a religious channel with yet another 'family' yet secular network."

And the next victim, er volunteer, to agree to leave SkyAngel will be ...

JL

6. jegrant

jegrant Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    Sky Angel is considered (by contract, AFAIK) a "basic" service by Dish Network. There is no $5 access fee for Sky Angel subscribers, not even lifetime SA subscribers.

And, yes, lifeline cable and USDTV both have local channels, where Sky Angel does not - however depending on how Dish shuffles things around, some local markets may become 100% available at 61.5; there are also customers who have lost interest in the broadcast networks and/or feel they have become "family unfriendly" in recent years.

7. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    jegrant,

This is only partially true. If a subscriber has ONLY Sky Angel service, there is no $5 fee because they do NOT subscribe to anything having to do with Dish. Anyone with ONLY Sky Angel service that is getting charged the $5 access fee shouldn't be. The $5 additional receiver fee still applies.

If a Sky Angel subscriber chooses to subscribe to Dish Network and gets something other than a "basic package" then they are subject to the $5 access fee since they have Dish Network progamming and no basic package.

Sky Angel is NOT a Dish Network programming package! Sky Angel is an independent DBS company's offering.

See ya
    Tony

8. jegrant

jegrant Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    Is that new? Because I had been under the impression that SA service allowed one to subscribe to ala carte selections such as Bloomberg or Internationals without paying the $5 access fee.

And, I was able in the past to subscribe to DISH's extended warranty plan with only SA on my account and no DISH-brand programming without paying an access fee.

9. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    AFAIK, SA programing has never qualified as a Dish basic package. I looked back at some archives I have going back to 1999 that says the same thing.

See ya
    Tony

10. narnia777

narnia777 Legend

Mar 28, 2003
    Not true... I pay Dish Network only $10.98 for The Supers, 2 Fox channels that I have waiver for and The Outdoor Network alacart. I have Sky Angel also... no access fee.

Sky Angel is considered a $0 basic package, it's on my Dish bill.

Jim

11. Jashobeam

Jashobeam AllStar

Jul 10, 2005
    We have been subscribing to Sky Angel for almost 2 years now, and we enjoy the Christian channels currently available. We rarely watch Hallmark or Hallmark Movie except on weekends since they have changed drastically in the last few years. I don't like The Waltons, Little House, Mash or Walker Texas Ranger which is pretty much all they show weekdays. I don't like the movies on Hallmark Movie either. I am looking forward to HGTV, but not loosing one of the channels now on Sky Angel.

Sky Angel states it brought in the new four channels by popular demand. We requested almost those exact four, not knowing of the foul language and violence on the two Hallmark Channels.

Sky Angel also says that it has few options in Christian channels to add, but I wish they would. I hate Touched By An Angel, but I did watch Promised Land when it was first out. I don't mind the slight increase in subscription rates, but it if was above $20 and and/or they dropped LBN we would immediatly discontinue our service.

We are also grateful for the addition of FoxNews, especially since we get so few local channels with rabbit ears.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    All signs point to FeTV as the one that will say adios so that HGTV can join the lineup.

It is a shame that SkyAngel has to lose *ANY* programming to add new channels, but that it the box they chose to be in - and they would be a zero channel service if it were not for that choice. They are still a long way from being an independent programming service that CAN do what they SHOULD be able to do with their FCC granted satellite space.

JL

13. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    This is not technically correct, Sky Angel carries the following "local" stations,
    WSFJ 51, Columbus OH
    WKSB 47, Johnstown PA
    KSBN 57, Springdale AR
    WPCB 40, Pittsburg PA
    WACX 45, Leesburg FL
    KGEB 53, Tulsa OK
    WTLU 19, Lynchburch VA

Which brings up an interesting point. Could other networks from these markets demand "must carry" from Sky Angel? Or is there some sort of exemption for Sky Angel under "must carry" rules?

14. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    So I could get sky angel and then subscribe to MLB EI or NHL CI that CATV here doesnt have and not have to pay twice for the channels that I get already with digi-cable, and just put the account in "suspend" or "vacation" mode in the off season?

What a great scam that would be...now if only I could do it with dtv for NFLST...

Or even better, use it to get the HD pack for ESPN2HD TNT HD which cable here doesnt offer...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.