1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SL3 and off air antenna

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by txsportsman, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1 of 26
    txsportsman

txsportsman New Member

Dec 27, 2011
    I have a SL3 dish with one output and wanted to add an off the air antenna to my system, since some local channels are missing. I have a SWM system with the HD25 receiver and the zinwell msplit8r1-03 splitter. Thanks

2. Jan 7, 2012 #2 of 26
    Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    You will need to use a separate line from your OTA antenna to the AM21 OTA add on. The AM21 connects to your H25 via a USB cable. SWM signal frequency and OTA frequency cannot coexist on 1 line.

3. Jan 7, 2012 #3 of 26
    Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
  4. Jan 7, 2012 #4 of 26
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    They cant?? pretty sure they can

while being unsupported by directv, they can be diplexed together

If you have mrv that might cause an issue, if so diplex it back out before the first swm splitter

5. Jan 7, 2012 #5 of 26
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, they cannot.

6. Jan 7, 2012 #6 of 26
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Well I'm sorry, but yes they can, it is possible to do a mirror with diplexers as well with swim with no mrv

7. Jan 7, 2012 #7 of 26
    litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's not a supported configuration. Why would you recommend someone setup something that's not supported???

8. Jan 7, 2012 #8 of 26
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Because he isn't certified by DirecTV, nor pays much attention to the training either. :lol:

9. Jan 8, 2012 #9 of 26
    Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    :lol:

10. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    :eek2:

11. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Because the customer might be unable or unwilling to run a second coax cable.

There is no theoretical obstacle to diplexing SWM and off-air, but DirecTV has determined that it simply doesn't want to incur the responsibility of supporting such installations. There are a lot of reasons why they may have determined that they do not want to support such installations. I'm sure they don't support installations of dishes attached to growing trees, nor installations with 1,000 feet of coax and line extender amplifiers and creative LNB voltage boosting techniques either, but sometimes a customer decides that is the only way or most practical way to complete their installation.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Actually if you're "looking forward", there is an "obstacle" and it's called DECA.
    While the customer may not want/start with it, why should DirecTV do an install that can't offer the customer everything offered?

Before SWiM, you couldn't diplex because of Ka-lo.
    SWiM moves the Ka-lo out of the band.
    DECA comes back into the band.

This isn't "theoretical".

13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I didn't say DirecTV should offer to do the installation. I said it will work and that the customer may benefit from it.

Substitute "hypothetical" or "contingent" for "theoretical", if you will. The customer can get the benefit of single wire support by self-installing an SWiM and diplexing it with his off-air signal. I personally don't give a damn whether DirecTV is willing to "support" this installation. I am only concerned with accommodating the wants and needs of tvsportsman. If he wants to do this, it will work for him. He just needs to have either an SWiM LNB installed on his dish if they are physically compatible, or he needs to replace his SLM dish assembly with an SWiM one.

As memory serves me, one could put a baseband converter "above" the diplexer and electronically shift those Ka-lo frequencies up to the L-band to support diplexing. I never did that, but others here have reported having done so.

I have done a lot of installations in multiple dwelling units that DirecTV shuns. Sometimes I diplex DirecTV and off-air. Sometimes, I diplex SWM and cable, which is finicky because of the closeness of the SWM upstream signal and the cable company's return signal. Sometimes a cable TV technician making a service call just disables the DirecTV system without having any basis for doing so, other than the fact that he doesn't understand it. Then the customer is either coached by me over the phone to get all his services back or he pays me to reconnect him. All of those customers prefer that to not being able to get the TV services that they desire into their residential unit.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You've just made a very good post showing why DirecTV doesn't support this.
    And as to tvsportsman, the only receiver mentioned has DECA, so it has to be addresses, and diplexing doesn't work, "without" some serious consideration.
    Yes, you or I can setup all sorts of custom installs/systems, but we have to support them, and customers won't get DirecTV support.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Folks, I've deleted several posts that were off topic and rude. Please let's discuss the topic and not each other.

Thanks.

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If I had a networking/DECA question regarding a DirecTv install, I would pay deference to VOS. He would be the first person I would ask.

There are lots of things you can do in this world that you are not supposed to. Hence almost all commercials these days have the disclaimer "Do Not Attempt" at the bottom. While a custom install breaking the guidelines might work today, there is no guarantee it will work tomorrow, nor is there a guarantee the custom installer will be around to fix it.

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'll fully admit that some of you guys are decades ahead of me in your technical knowledge. I just take note of what's "supported" and "unsupported" and even if I can't find a reason for something to be "unsupported" I don't blame anyone but myself if my system doesn't work when I'm doing something "unsupported."

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Jodean, the receiver he said he has, contains built in DECA. Deca uses the same frequency. He would not be able to do what you say he can do, with that box.

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Just know that when someone here mentions that certain configs may work but arent supported by Directv, if you have an issue with your installation, don't call Directv and expect them to fix it. And if you do call them and they won't support an "unsupported" setup, don't come here and complain about it. I'm not singling anyone out in this thread, but we all know there are people that pull that crap daily, then clog up the forums and anywhere else they can vent with rants about how crappy D*'s customer service is, and how they "know so much more than their poorly trained CSR's". WHen you do have issues, unsupported setups are much harder to troubleshoot as well. As long as everyone understands the caveats associated with it, its fine to use unsupported methods, but ONLY then.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    There are "standards" that are supported. One of the reasons is "anyone" can work/repair the system.

Now to step outside of "the standards", one must know everything about what's going on, so any changes to the system, works without causing other problems.

"In this case" the thread starter didn't give enough information to vary from a "standard" install.

All of those that came in to say "no it will work", were doing this without all the facts, thus were just "blowing smoke".

"Frankly" I see no benefit for anybody listening to "smoke blowers". :nono: