SL3 LNB, SWM PI21, and DirecTV MSPLIT4R1-03 not working

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mark L, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Mark L

Mark L Godfather

Oct 23, 2006
    Hello Everyone,

I'm an 18 year DirecTV customer and I've been through it all. I have been on phone calls for hundreds of hours with DirecTV over the years. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why all of sudden my system is telling me it can't detect SWM.

Here's my quick backstory:

I had 2 HR24s in my house, I'm running a SL3-SWM triple LNB going to a DirecTV MSPLIT4R1-03 4 way splitter. This is of course powered by a PI21 Power Inserter (DirecTV).

Everything was working fine for the 3 years I've been in my home, it's a brand new home with all current RG-6 cabling.

So I went to add a 3rd box yesterday, another HR24, and I'm on the phone with customer service, when I stupidly realize I haven't connected the RG6 line for this box into the splitter in my master closet. She's sending the activation signal, so I run upstairs and take off one of the terminal caps and screw in the RG6 line for this new box.

Well that's when everything took a sh** to be honest. Now all of my boxes won't work at all. I did notice the input line going into the top of the switch was frayed at the connection. So I didn't think anything of it. I unplugged all the boxes, unplugged the power inserter, and repaired the input line. I hooked everything back up and all I get on all the boxes now is a 775 cannot detect signal error. I also am getting cannot detect SWM error on initial setup of each box.

I tried following some tips online, and unplugged all the boxes, unplugged the power inserter for a good 5 minutes, plugged the PI back in, then tried one box at a time. Still no luck. I was at this with trial and error for 6 hours yesterday. I was at my witts end when I tried one last thing; I bypassed the switch and ran a line directly from my PI to one of the boxes, and ran the input line from the dish directly into the PI. This worked. I do not know why, but it did.

So my theory is the switch is bad, possibly shorted out? Now here's the kicker, I have 2 of these switches and tried both of them, both times I get the "Cannot detect SWM error". I also have 2 power inserters and both still don't work with the switch.

I now know the PI and LNB are fine because the signal is working to one of my 3 boxes, except I can't utilize the other 2 because the switch gives me the error.

I have triple checked all my connections, I made sure I'm running the correct setup through the pass through on the switch and it still won't work.

I ordered a new switch and LNB online and it's on the way.

I must also mention the cherry on top. My main box, in my living room is now completely dead! It was hooked up to the PI output directly when all this first happened. It had to have fried the hard drive, because I'm getting this blue screen on start up stating

"A problem has been detected in the storage device

This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault. Please reboot the box now. That may fix the problem.

If that does not work, please call Customer Service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the diagnostic code displayed below.

Diagnostic Code: 14-706"

I tried rebooting several times with no success. Basically my hard drive is fried. I had to order a replacement box, and I'm pretty mad because this was my main box and I had a ton of great movies stored on here, now all gone!

My theory is these switches are EXTREMELY sensitive and by me removing the terminal while the switch was running power through it via the PI, it shorted the switch out somehow and shot a burst of energy to my family room HR24, thus frying it.

It makes sense, since the setup works flawlessly without the switch involved.

I've never ran into this problem before and am quite perplexed as to why this happened.

I have to install the new switch when it gets here, but more importantly I have to install the new box when it comes next week, so I really don't want this to happen again.

Does anyone know the proper protocol with these SWM setups?

Are we supposed to power down everything before we install a new box via one of the ports?

The old switches never had this problem, at least from what I can recall.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sure! it's a mandatory step!

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    only when we will know what part of your setup is broken ...

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Your error code 14
    14 | On Screen Text: “Internal Storage Error Detected. A problem was detected reading your internal storage device. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostic Code: 14” | What to do: Select "Reboot" to reset Receiver. If still a problem: Do NOT try to reformat from the front panel. Replace Receiver.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    775 is usually caused by a loose or damaged connection.
    It can also be because the PI-21 is not connected to the Power Passing Port of the 4 way splitter. This connection is always reed inside and usually a line on the outside of the splitter that shows where to connect the Pi-21.

The splitter could also be bad.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Your bypassing the switch and going from LNB to power inserter to receiver proved the dish was good, and the wiring from the dish to the PI, and from the PI to that specific receiver was good. Assuming that is not the unit you are now having problems with, I would set that back up and verify it still works. Then I would (after powering down) connect the problem DVR to the power inserter, apply power to the power inserter, and then apply power to the problem DVR and see if it now works or if you have the same error. If you have the same error, hook up the one that works again and verify it still works. If so, you have pretty convincingly proven you have a bad DVR (one more step you could try is to physically move it to where the good unit is and test it there, to verify it isn't the coax).

Next step, one you have proven the one DVR still works directly through the PI is to put your splitter back in to the circuit, with the PI and just that one DVR again. See if that works or not. If it works, then start adding additional units back to the splitter one at a time.

You can see this process is verifying one item at a time. You need to do this, especially because you now have at least two different issues. Get a working foundation, then build on it one step at a time. And ALWAYS power down everything before hooking or unhooking (that is the safe way, and I'll admit I don't always do that and haven't had a problem - but doing so will help insure you don't introduce a problem).

Good luck

harsh likes this.
  7. Mark L

Mark L Godfather

Oct 23, 2006
    Well damn, I never knew this. Never was a problem with the old switches.

I'm pretty sure it's the switch itself, since the system is working right now hardwired to the one box, via the output on the PI

This eliminates the LNB and PI as the culprits.

The box won't boot at all, it's done IMO

That's why I ordered a new one from DirecTV

I made sure everything was connected correctly. I'm pretty certain the splitter is bad.

jimmie57 likes this.
  8. Mark L

Mark L Godfather

Oct 23, 2006
    I tried what you mentioned in the first paragraph. I even moved the problem DVR to a different room and it still won't work. That blue screen comes on immediately, it won't even go into initial setup.

I tried both splitters with your method and both will not work. I keep getting the cannot detect SWM error on the other 2 boxes, both done one at a time.

I'm hoping when the new splitter comes on Friday, this will work. I just have to remember to always power all the boxes and the PI down before messing with any of the coax connections.

This is a PITA, but it is necessary.

I'll update this thread when my switch comes on Friday.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the reply.

9. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007

10. Mark L

Mark L Godfather

Oct 23, 2006
    That's what I thought, but wasn't sure

I know I'm powering down everything before I install the new switch

11. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    Not sure what you mean by switch, as you don't have a switch in the system. You must be meaning the splitter. So if you bypass the splitter by connecting the PI power inserter side directly to the LNB and your HR24 to the PI signal port, then you have something going on in the splitter. Things should work again once it's swapped out and properly connected, the only tricky part is connecting the power inserter to the specified port on the splitter. There is nothing active in the splitter, it doesn't use any power, just passes it through to the LNB. The only thing that needs power is the LNB.

As far as the receiver that won't boot, that is likely a coincidence. These things can run a long time with a marginal hard drive, until they are rebooted and run through their diagnostics. The diagnostics may pick up a bad hard drive and stop it from booting. If you fried the DVR, you would get another error code.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    P Smith likes this.
  12. Mark L

Mark L Godfather

Oct 23, 2006
    So I finally figured out what the problem was, and of all dang things you'll never believe it, it was my RG6 connector from the splitter to the power inserter.

Long story short, I was using a monster cable RG6 cord, approximately 3 ft long, and the connector was slipping out of the black plastic sheath, thus the pin wasn't engaging with the splitter, thus giving me the 775 error and the no swm detected error

So realistically I ordered a new switch for nothing, when it was the pin not engaging into the splitter, I cannot believe how much headache this has caused me over the last two weeks, I attached some pictures to show, please note the red arrow showing where the brass connector had slipped out of the black plastic sheath.

I hope this thread serves someone in the future, not just make sure your connections are tight, but make sure the pin is actually engaged into the female input

Attached Files:

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    So, a moral of the drama is don't use fancy connectors/cables where there are not necessary !
    Straight F-connector of compression type (which is most reliable) would work there forever.