SL3-S Installed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request Legacy Items (private)' started by HDinVT, Oct 31, 2008.

1. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Up and running. :hurah:
    Pretty easy. Since it was such a beautiful late fall day in Vermont, , while mother nature was cooperating I took the WB68 and extra coax down. Also noticed my dishes were no longer grounded... :mad: Fixed that, and took the 72.5 dish down but left the mast as I am contemplating an outdoor antenna for OTA.

SL3-S and PI:
    DSC02259.JPG

Before:
    DSC02262.JPG

After:

DSC02268.JPG

Still have some basement work to tidy up, but everything is functional.
    DSC02283.jpg

Notes:
    SWM Firmware Version: 2.0.16
    SWM Library Version: 2.0.7
    HR20-700 @ 0x0292

When the HR20 first powered up it recognized the SWM as the switch type, but did not notice the LNB changed from 5 to 3. I went in to Satellite setup and made the change manually to SL3-SWM. I hooked an inactive H20 up in the guest room, and it found the SWM just fine. Both boxes reported signal levels in the upper 90s and 100 on 101 slot, upper 80s, low 90s on 99 and 103 slot CONUS. 99 spotbeam may not be for this area, got 0s but not concerned as 99c seemed fine. 103 spotbeam had at least two transponders at 100. No problems so far. Thanks Doug and D* !!!

Attached Files:

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Very nice!

Cannot wait to get mine installed ;)

--------------------------------------

On a side note, did everyone get the Eagle Aspen one like HDinVT?

I noticed a few days ago on eBay a few SL3s units are popping up but they look different (look like they might be WNC):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Directv-SWM-LNB...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Its interesting as the Eagle Aspen SL3-S seems to be a much different design than the WNC because the shape is quite a bit different as well (WNC looks wider and has cosmetic pieces like the original SL5 LNB).

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Great photos - nice work.

4. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Good Job! Did your slimline already have an SWM in it?

EDIT
    Nevermind, I see where you have the four connections coming in from the other LNB. So that answer would be, NO.

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Not to mention weatherproofing the groundblock :nono2:

6. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    got to love us amateurs !! What do you suggest?

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Installed the SL3-S today.
    It was a very quick 20 minute install and connections since I already had the AU9 slimline connected to first generation SWM8 so the inside work was just removing the SWM8 and its 29V PI from the cable path.

Some things I noticed.
    1. After having DVR redo sat setup, the Miscellanous Options was gone. Had to redo IAMANEDGECUTTER to get it back. S/W is 0x29A
    2. Also, Native setting changed from ON to OFF, had to reset.
    3. Right before swapping the LNB, I noted the sat settings on the 99c, 101 and 103c. Immediately after swapping them and after the sat setup, I looked at them again. Without a doubt, all settings on the 99 and 103 dropped approx 5 points. Most readings before were low to mid 90s, now were all high 80's. Some at 84, never was below 88 before.

What I suspect occured is not that I moved the dish but the AU9 fits very snug inside the arm. But the SL3S assembly is fairly loose so just before tighting the nuts, I could slide it a bit up/down and left/right. A mm could make a difference.
    This probably wouldn't mean a thing on a first time install but changing LNB's might require repeaking the dish.

Also I had hoped that the new SWM Firmware and Libraries might work with my HR20-700 that never recognized the SWM8 or SL5S in SWM mode. Nope, didn't help.
    So I'll keep testing with the SL3S for a bit but sooner or later I'll have to go back to the AU9 and SWM8 so I can keep the HR20 on dual lines and the rest of the house on SWM.

And the smaller LNB is appreciated. My neighbor asked how he could get a smaller one since he has the AU9. Said it looked more pleasing.

8. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    That's gotta be a quirk with your individual HR20-700. My HR20-700 recognized the SWM8 perfectly right out of the bootup sequence. I'd suspect you have a bad Tuner 1 in the box, preventing it from recognizing and responding to the SWM8. :(

9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Yes I agree. Something is wrong with Tuner 1 not recognizing SWM but working fine all other times. During boot up it can't find any sats if SWM is selected.

And other HR20 and HR21 as well as H20 recognize SWM's w/ no problem.