1. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    FedEx just delivered my SL3-SWM along with a PI-21 power inserter. I'll try to hook it up this afternoon and see how it works.

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Exciting to see the first of the group get these....looking forward to the install and results reports here!:)

3. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Woo Hoo !! :icon_da: I'll start looking for FedEx in my neighborhood !

Just called home, mine arrived too !! On vacation tomorrow so if no snow or rain I'll get the ladder out !

4. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    I just finished doing a temporary hookup of my SL3-SWM which arrived today. All four of my DVRs are in the same cabinet so it was really easy to hook up using the SWS-4 4-port splitter which I had already ordered. So far everything seems to be working fine. I didn't have to change any settings on the DVRs. They automatically detected the SWM.

Currently my Slimline dish is located about a hundred feet from my house in the only location where I have LOS for all of the satellites. It's mounted on a wooden post which is beginning to give some problems. With the SL3-SWM, I will be able to mount the dish on my house where I only have LOS for 99/101/103.

The only down side is that the SL3-SWM doesn't provide any connections for my legacy receivers. I'll just hook them up to an old standard dish.

One thing to note: The SWM connection on the HR20-100 and the HR20-700 is Satellite In #2 but on the HR21-700 it's Satellite In #1. Also, if you have your DVRs on a UPS, be sure to plug your power inserter into the UPS too.

5. Cobra

Cobra Icon

Aug 9, 2006
    I also received mine, I dont have a swm setup, so what else do I need to hook up all my receivers?

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    All you need is the power inserter and the ability to split the lines for your receivers (up to 8-tuners). Each receiver must support SWM. There should be one single coax coming from the dish.

7. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Photos when you get a chance :) ..

So which of those dishes in your Avatar did you change out? :p

8. Cobra

Cobra Icon

Aug 9, 2006
    sorry for the stupid questions, but do I still need to run 2 lines to my hr21-200?
    Thanks Doug

9. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    No just one. The back of your HR21 should be labeled with which one is SWM. Most likely satellite 1, but I dont have a HR21 so I cant tell you for sure.

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Nope, one line per receiver will support two tuners. You will likely need a splitter if you do not have one. Just make sure all splitters support frequencies from 2-2150 MHz .. It can be wider than that, but not narrower. Many start @ 5 MHz .. The specs require it to go down to 2 MHz.

11. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Oh, and if you only have one receiver, then you can just run from the power inserter right into the HR2x .. you don't have to add a splitter, but you will need one if you have more than one receiver.

12. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    I'll work on photos this evening.

The dishes in my avatar are on an apartment building in Winston Salem, NC. The last time I drove by there, they had added two more for a total of 16.

13. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    :lol: .. I used to drive through Statesville and Winston-Salem between Asheville & Raleigh ..

14. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    So is this a new group or do the first team get to play with these also :D

15. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007
    Just got mine too!

Thanks DTV!!!!!

I'll probably hook it up this weekend since it gets dark so early...

16. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Wahoo! Just called home and mine came as well. Hopefully this weekend or early next week I will get it put up (currently out of town :( )

17. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I got mine today as well. I already have a Slimline 3 with an 8 way splitter that our dear Mr Smiddy wrote a first look on.

Do you think I should replace the power inverter as well or leave the one that is already there?

EDIT
    Yes, if you currently are using a SWM, it will be required to replace the PI. The SWM that I have with the SlimLine 3 has a PI-28. The one for the SL3SPIG-P is a PI-21.

18. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Mine arrived today. Will be able to install on the weekend.

Didn't expect it to look like a single LNB with no long arm to speak of.

Picture of both the SL5S and SL3S

Attached Files:

19. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Well, I just figured out I need to get a 8-way switch.

Will someone please post and tell me the best place to obtain a 8way splitter for my pi to plug into?

Here are the readings before my transition.

20. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007
    Just got mine installed.

About 30 min. work including all the redirecting of wires and receiver start up time.

Only issue I ran into was not being able to tell which of the 3 lines going into the arm on my dish was the one I had hooked up...of course I picked wrong - got it right the second try. :D

I now have 2 tuners on both my HR2x boxes and all is good in the world.

Thanks again D* - you guy rock!

Oh - I didn't record my signal strengths before, but after replacing the 5lnb with the 3lnb and adding a 2-way splitter, I think the signal is a little better (90 - 100) on the 101 sat. and about the same (85-90) on the other 2.