1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SL3PIG-P SLIMLINE does it do SWM?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by toy4two, Nov 20, 2008.

1. toy4two

toy4two Legend

Aug 17, 2006
    I see this new dish being sold on ebay, never seen it before, I like the idea of only having one LNB for all the sats (I don't watch Spanish programming) and I want to be able to use a one cable install (SWM)

Does this new dish support SWM?

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    It's still the SAME DISH.

There are currently 4 LNBs for the slimline
    SL5 - 4 outputs with built in multiswitch - 5 LNBS
    SL5S - single output with built in SWM - 5 LNBS
    SL3 - 4 outputs with built in multiswitch - 3 LNBS
    SL3S - single output with built in SWM - 3 LNBS

The "PIG" is for preinstalled pigtails.

3. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes, I ended up getting one of these...I had to special order a 3LNB (not SWM) for a client who couldn't see 110/119; didn't even know they came like this.
    I took them off, as I always connect the coax directly into the LNB, as I do NOT like to have exposed splices whenever possible.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The pre-installed pigtails are a bit of a mixed bag.

On one hand, DirecTv & the HSPs have been screaming for a while that there should not be any barrel connectors outside. They want you to replace the cable not barrel it. Then they turn around and install the pigtails with barrels.

On the other, hearing the reason as to why they want you to use the LNBs with the pigtails makes sense...to a degree.

What they have found is that the screws/nuts have a very good chance of getting dropped and disappearing forever if installed from a ladder. They also feel that alignment can be affected if the LNB is removed to attach the cables (I don't buy this one, but it is what it is). Lastly there is the safety issue depending on the direction of which the dish points and the amount of reaching the tech need to do to get those screws/nuts in (if he doesn't drop them).

In their eyes, the risk of the barrel failing is less that the other risks listed above.

5. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Yea, I figured it had something to do with some of "lowest common demoninator" installers these HSP's hire - no biggie to fix & have some extra jumpers & barrels... ;)

I was just suprised to get it from the place that I ordered it from, since I don't believe it's a distributor HSP's frequent, but oh well.