1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SL3S SWiM? Single DVR Setup help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by xtreme571, Aug 16, 2011.

1. xtreme571

xtreme571 Cool Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Hey guys!!

I searched, but was unable to find the answer to my question. Apologies in advance if this has been discussed already. If it has, please point towards the right direction. It's been quite a while since I've done DirecTV setup.

Just moved into a new place which has the SL3S (SWiM??) dish already installed. Previous user was using 3 receivers, and I saw them working fine just before the move.

I am using just one receiver HR22, and the cable is running like this

DISH>>SWITCH (4 PORT)<<>>POWER SUPPLY<<>>RECEIVER Port 1.

I am unable to get any signal what so ever. I have tried all the settings in the DVR. Slimline 3, Slimline 5, Slimline 3 SWM, Slimline 5 SWM, but am not able to get anything. Only one port on the switch has the "terminator resister" installed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Well first of all, the "switch" you speak of is basically a 4-way splitter; it does NO "switching" at all.
    Now that being said, I would check in this order:
    - is the feed to your receiver that you are using on the power pass output of the splitter; the connector is color red to make it clearer
    - along these lines, are you sure the incoming dish feed is actually going to the input of the splitter; it also is color coded red
    - on the power supply, are you sure the "TO RECEIVER" connector, IS actually going TO the receiver input; the "TO DISH" connector is color coded red & obviously should go to the red input on the splitter

I hate to tell you this, but if you DID mix up any of these connectors, it's possible that you just sent 21V into the tuner of your receiver & fried it! (hopefully that didn't happen :eek: ) Don't mean to alarm you, but people must be VERY careful when messing around with these (relatively) high voltage power supplies for these type systems, & NOT just connect coaxes "willy-nilly". ;)

3. xtreme571

xtreme571 Cool Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It is connected in this order:
    Receiver Tuner 1 > Power Supply IRD Port > Power Supply SWM-S Port > Splitter (Red) Output 1 > Splitter Input> LNB

I understand what you mean about not just connecting coax. I am very particular about connecting right cable to right port. And above listed order is the only order it has been connected in.

What settings should be set in the receiver?
    Dish Type: 17: Slimline-3S (SWM)
    Switch Type: 01:SWM
    Tuners: Dual

Does this sound about right?

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Your setup sounds correct. You don't need the splitter with only one receiver, so you can remove it from the installation and connect the power supply SWM-S port directly to the LNB. That will rule out the splitter and associated connections as a possible problem.

Remove power before making/breaking any coax connections. After you restore power to the LNB, do a reset of the receiver. It should discover the SWM on it's own. If not, go back through sat setup and enter the correct settings.